U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:55 PM

12 posts, read 57,846 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I was hoping for some insight from locals.

We will be arriving in the RDU area in early Jan.

Right now, we're looking at 2 hotels and wondering which one is in a 'decent/safe' neighborhood. We're gonna be in town for 2-3 days and exploring different towns in the area...Chapel Hill, Cary, Raleigh, Durham, Carrboro etc.

Choices:

1) HoJo: 1800 Hillandale Rd/I-85 Durham NC

OR

2) Days Inn Raleigh: 3201 Wake Forest Road, I-440 Beltline Exit 10
Raleigh, NC

Appreciate your replies.

Thanks
Arrege
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 02:59 PM

945 posts, read 1,742,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrege View Post
Hi All,

Right now, we're looking at 2 hotels and wondering which one is in a 'decent/safe' neighborhood. We're gonna be in town for 2-3 days and exploring different towns in the area...Chapel Hill, Cary, Raleigh, Durham, Carrboro etc.

Choices:

OR

Raleigh, NC

Appreciate your replies.

Thanks
Arrege

First off, I think a HoJo is not the best place to stay period. I also think that location is to far north in Durham. I would suggest looking at a couple hotels around Southpoint. There are 2 fairly new ones. A GREAT location and EXTREMELY pleasant. Four Points by Sheraton is one of them. The other name escapes me now.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:03 PM

1,190 posts, read 3,564,053 times
Default reply

i would not stay at either one of those places.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:07 PM

11,791 posts, read 27,436,549 times
I'm in Raleigh...I'd say no to the Days Inn on Old Wake Forest Road.

Near Crabtree Valley Mall, off Glenwood Avenue, is a good safe place for hotels.

There is a Candlewood Suites 919-789-4841 and a LaQuinta 919-785-0071. I've had clients stay at these and have heard only good things.

Vicki

Old 12-05-2008, 03:16 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,190,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrege View Post
Hi All,

Choices:

OR

Raleigh, NC

Appreciate your replies.

Thanks
Arrege
I live in Durham. The HoJo is not in the Southpoint part of town but that location is centrally located _if_ you're looking predominately at Durham. I have not stayed in the HoJo but that's a fine safe area with some nice neighborhoods nearby. You're a 15-18 minute drive to the edge of South Durham, and about 15 minutes to the edge of North Durham -- 5 mins. to downtown and Duke.

In that area, I would likely find the Comfort Inn or the Courtyard by Marriott to be better hotels to stay in. The HoJo has been there for years and is an older property.

If you're going to want to see a lot of all the towns you've mentioned, neither the Durham or Raleigh locations are "central." Southpoint in Durham or the RDU are more central.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:18 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,831,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
First off, I think a HoJo is not the best place to stay period. I also think that location is to far north in Durham. I would suggest looking at a couple hotels around Southpoint. There are 2 fairly new ones. A GREAT location and EXTREMELY pleasant. Four Points by Sheraton is one of them. The other name escapes me now.
I agree. I think the other one is a Marriott Courtyard and it's in Renisance Center across from Southpoint. Also up at the Hwy. 55 exity are several, all of which names escape me. Oh yes, one is a Candlewood Suites on Hwy. 54 right around the corner. I stayed there for a mystery shop and it was very nice and tucked back off 54 so it was quiet, but safe.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:45 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,657,751 times
Hillandale area is nice. Like BCR said it is older though. My grandparents stayed there when they would visit a couple of times but that was 10-15 years ago. They also stayed at the Marriott across the street which of course was nicer. It is in northern Durham so it will be a haul to get around if you plan on being in the Raleigh area. Stick to RTP hotels for a more central location to the Triangle.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:51 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,111,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I'm in Raleigh...I'd say no to the Days Inn on Old Wake Forest Road.

Near Crabtree Valley Mall, off Glenwood Avenue, is a good safe place for hotels.

There is a Candlewood Suites 919-789-4841 and a LaQuinta 919-785-0071. I've had clients stay at these and have heard only good things.

Vicki
er if you go north (or is it "west") much past the mall on 70 (Glennwood Ave), you quickly run into a BAD area of town. And above all, do NOT stay at the Homestead near there, it is a total dump!

I have heard Candlewood is good - LaQuinta maybe also, but they are notably pricier.....

Old 12-05-2008, 07:57 PM

447 posts, read 1,513,336 times
I can not speak to the Old Wake Forest Rd Hotel, not sure on the neighborhood. It seems to me that you are on a budget, which I can appreciate. The other hotels people in the thread have suggested would be good but will be much more expensive I am sure. Check out a website called tripadvisor for reviews on the hotels from people that have stayed there.

The Ho-Jo is actually a good location. It is right off I-85 which will give you access to North Durham and Hillsbourgh if you care to check that out. 15-501 is one exit down from the Ho-Jo and will give you easy access to Southern Durham and Chapel Hill. A quick trip down Hillandale will take you to the Durham Freeway which will get you to Downtown Durham, the RTP, Southern Durham and I-40 to head to Raleigh, Cary, and all those places. 540 can be used for quick access to North Raleigh, Knightdale and East Raleigh.

I grew up just down the street from there and my parents still live down the road. I visit them every saturday and I would say I can make the trip from that area to Raleigh in under a half hour.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 PM

11,791 posts, read 27,436,549 times
I had a client stay at Microtel in Morrisville, about 2 miles from the airport. It is CHEAP. I dropped her off one evening and there were alot of the flight attendants staying there. Area looked ok to me and she said it was clean but plain.

Something for everyone!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary