Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times

Advertisements

sailordave, I notice you're in Louisiana...why did you come searching out the Triangle board just to voice your complaints--when none of us (I'm almost certain) are responsible for the "banning"?

Contact those are are responsible it it will make you fell better, but let's not bring the drama into here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 08:34 PM

675 posts, read 1,832,554 times
Communism? That's so precious. Is that what we're still worried about?

Old 12-07-2008, 12:35 AM

104 posts, read 377,023 times
HAHA, Francois, you are hilarious.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:59 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
There are huge Christmas trees in the state legislative building. It's a freakin' tree and people need to get over it being such an issue. Our own US currency has "In God we trust" on it. I've never been offended by another religions symbols, so why do people need to feel offended by putting up a Christmas tree?
?? Are you new to this country? People just LIVE to be offended nowdays; it's all the rage. So what if nearly all of the country is Christian? God forbid you should have a Christmas tree up (which as stated isn't a Christian symbol anyway, although it is usually associated with the celebration of Christ's birth) - the horror! I'm offended! I want my mommy!!

For crying out loud - if I was in Saudi Arabia, I wouldn't be offended by Islamic symbologies, and certainly wouldn't have the colossal stupidity and gall to whine about it during their most important holidays - I don't care if where it was displayed was gov't property or not. Nor would I rant about the Star of David proudly displayed while walking around in Israel. So long as that gov't doesn't try to force their religion down my throat (which most of the Middle East does, btw).

Can't we just ship these hypersensitive yahoos to their own island? Then they can take turns crying on each other's shoulders and getting in touch with their inner idiocies all they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Oh heaven forbid they actually do that.
Don't say "heaven." It offends me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
I'd be curious to know where in the scriptures it tells us anything about displaying large coniferous trees, or anything at all about commemorating Christ's birth, being necessary to the practice of Christianity.
Ignoring how that is debatable as it's a considerable sidetrack best served elsewhere, that's relevant how? This isn't about being "necessary to practice Christianity." This is about taking away a symbol of a holiday which most people enjoyed because of a few people looking for something to cry about. It's not like the school was walking around nailing crosses to students' doors.
Quote:
This may be a slam against tradition. Don't act like it's a slam against religion.
I see, so the people complaining are doing so because they are offended by "tradition" - has nothing to do w/Christianity.

Yeah right

Old 12-07-2008, 03:07 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
if I was in Saudi Arabia, I wouldn't be offended by Islamic symbologies, and certainly wouldn't have the colossal stupidity and gall to whine about it during their most important holidays - I don't care if where it was displayed was gov't property or not. Nor would I rant about the Star of David proudly displayed while walking around in Israel. So long as that gov't doesn't try to force their religion down my throat (which most of the Middle East does, btw).
Would you complain if someone choose NOT to display these things? That's their own decision. In fact, if someone at UNC hadn't even make a remark about not displaying it, I doubt this would even be a conversation right now because no one would have known any different.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:34 PM

106 posts, read 344,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
God, I love it when Christians assume they understand MY faith (or lack thereof) just because I assert that religion has no place in any government-sponsored arena.

Save your misguided prayers for someone else.
This country was based on religious freedom but religious not atheist beliefs... hence, "In God We Trust" on our currency.

Historical facts from the bible: when people followed God their nation prospered, when they didn't it failed.

So we are taking God out everything in the US and where is the nation going? History has the tendency to repeat itself.

So, are Christians the only ones allowed to get Christmas bonuses? Or is that offensive to non -Christians? Has anyone ever gotten a winter bonus?

Old 12-07-2008, 06:37 PM

447 posts, read 1,717,833 times
To all of those that are offended that a Christmas tree was not displayed, I have spent the weekend calling libraries, police stations and many other tax payer funded places and demanded that they put up a Christmas tree. The audacity of them not displaying a tree has offended me deeply. I also told them that if they get a complaint they are communists and they are ruining the holiday for everyone.

To those that I offended by forgetting the "n't" on my "couldn't care less" I am sorry for the typo. Clearly I was out of order in making a mistake. I am in the process of giving myself 10 lashes right now, and I kind of like it.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966 View Post
This country was based on religious freedom but religious not atheist beliefs... hence, "In God We Trust" on our currency.

Historical facts from the bible: when people followed God their nation prospered, when they didn't it failed.

So we are taking God out everything in the US and where is the nation going? History has the tendency to repeat itself.

So, are Christians the only ones allowed to get Christmas bonuses? Or is that offensive to non -Christians? Has anyone ever gotten a winter bonus?
It's called a holiday bonus where I work. And if a person owns their own business, they're free to give out any type of bonus they want, Christmas or otherwise.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966 View Post

Yes actually I have gotten an end of year bonus before.

You do realize God is not exclusive to the Christian faith? We are discussing Christmas Trees which deals with Christ.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
If you could not care less, then you really do not care, but if you "could care less" that means you care about it more than other things and it is an issue with you.

Sorry Christmas trees are an issue. I think that those that complain ought to have their name, address, and phone number attached to their complaint, and posted in public, so I have a right to complain about their moronic life.

By the way M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S

lln
Merry Christmas to you also.

I actually celebrate it balls to the walls.

I however have a great compassion for all people and their beliefs and feelings. If someone complains about a Christmas Tree, Confederate flag, or other symbol being displayed in a public tax payer funded place, I believe it should be removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary