U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:56 AM

91 posts, read 152,589 times
Default New refrigerator dilemma

We are in the market for a new refrigerator . Is it absolutely necessary for all the kitchen appliances to be of the same brand?? All our current appliances are GE but I am interested in a Samsung refrigerator that I think gives more bang for the buck .....

Also we are unsure whether we should go with a side by side version or a bottom freezer refrigerator. We need lots of freezer space , so we are leaning towards side- by side refrigerator. On the other hand, some of the bottom freezer refrigerators do seem spacious while being more energy efficient.

Any first hand experiences , pro or cons of both are concerns will be appreciated.
Any recommendations are also welcome. Our budget is $1500.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 11:59 AM

2,378 posts, read 5,085,175 times
The appliances don't all need to be the same brand. We had a french door fridge and loved it. The freezer on the bottom is spacious.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:25 PM

660 posts, read 1,627,098 times
Whichever you decide try sears outlet on six forks road nr Costco. Last year I got a $2800 LG fridge/freezer for $1400. It had a pinhead size ding in the door.
Stainless steel finish, lcd panel for weather,recipes and photos nice fridge with no problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhm View Post
We are in the market for a new refrigerator . Is it absolutely necessary for all the kitchen appliances to be of the same brand?? All our current appliances are GE but I am interested in a Samsung refrigerator that I think gives more bang for the buck .....

Also we are unsure whether we should go with a side by side version or a bottom freezer refrigerator. We need lots of freezer space , so we are leaning towards side- by side refrigerator. On the other hand, some of the bottom freezer refrigerators do seem spacious while being more energy efficient.

Any first hand experiences , pro or cons of both are concerns will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:34 PM

91 posts, read 152,589 times
Thank you for the replies. Steve54, I will definitely check this place .

Old 12-06-2008, 12:46 PM

539 posts, read 1,582,786 times
My appliances are different brands. When we bought them we looked at the best performing in their catagory and made our decisions based on that. Top/bottom or side by side is a personal preference...so can't help you there.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:47 PM

4,853 posts, read 9,711,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhm View Post

Thanks.
I think that the most important thing is function. . . . that all of your kitchen appliances work! After that. . . . .the next most important thing is aesthetics. . . . . . that all of your kitchen appliances have the same finish (e.g., all are white, or black, or avocado green). Last on my list would be if they all were by the same manufacturer. My dishwasher is by Bosch, the oven is Dacor, the range is Jenn-Air, the fridge is Maytag, and the microwave is Panasonic.

We went with a freezer on the bottom fridge. Only because we could not get the freezer on top in the stainless steel finish. We did not want to spend the premium on the French door fridge and I don't like side-by-side fridges.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:52 PM

2,408 posts, read 7,014,823 times
If you're going for that, just be careful that the finish is the same. There are a lot of grey/silver/stainless variants out there, even among the same brand.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:56 PM

120 posts, read 431,701 times
Default Be wary of Samsung refrigerators

I've got a Samsung and while I love it, it's a real pain in the hind-quarters to get repaired. I live in Durham and the factory authorized repair service is terrible. They're so busy, I had to wait a week without a fridge before they could come look at it. Then I waited another week for parts. The technician didn't know how to work the on-board diagnostics because he didn't have the repair manual (although he did supposedly place a call to the Samsung service folks while at my house.) Since he didn't run the diagnostic, he didn't fix the problem, but rather replaced a fan which may or may not have been broken. It's hard to say at this point. Customer service from Samsung Corporate was also sub par. Basically, after 12 months you're SOL.

We were lucky. I was able to order a repair manual, run the diagnostic, order what seemed to be broken and get my ever-so-handy husband to play appliance repairman and fix the two year old fridge. I spent weeks without a fridge and hundreds of dollars on useless repairs. BTW, I did call and talk to the repair people about their less than satisfactory repair. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

I love the layout and features of my Samsung, but I just couldn't do it again. Broken after two years and corporate saying well, we're sorry the repairmen we recommended are awful (I've got lots of really choice things to say about these people but in the spirit of the season, I'm trying to be nice) but it's really not our responsibility after 12 months. When I do have to finally break down and get a new fridge, I'm getting the one with the longest extended warranty I can find.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:57 PM

3,238 posts, read 5,837,059 times
I second the french door fridge with the bottom freezer....we love ours. Daniel (above post) is right about finishes...many stainless appliances have a different finish.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:26 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,746,634 times
Just an FYI, I remember reading a few months back in Consumer Reports that Amana had the lowest repair record and is the "best bang for the buck".
Also, most people purchase the same brand of appliances because they are only after the brand name. Some people enjoy showing their friends that they have the latest and greatest most popular at that time brand name even though the actual quality is crap (Sub-zero, Electrolux).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary