Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:54 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times

Advertisements

Go where you can get a job and don't feel bad about it.

You are fortunate to get an offer in this economy.

Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 04:16 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,417,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Holland Willis Jr View Post
Am I a failure if I move back to my hometown ? I cant find a decent job here in triangle and my previous employer back on coast is begging me to come back. problem is I have no housing back on coast and would have to start over AGAIN!!
Do I tough it out here and keep searching job or do I bite bullet and consider myself a FAILURE back on coast!!
Jackie - opting to move back to your hometown to secure employment and take care of your family is NOT failure. Actually, I think just the opposite. You must have been some darn good employee and a real professional in your field to have your old employer wanting you back after you moved away! We all do what we must in times of difficulty, so go with what you feel is best for you and your family. Best of luck whatever your decision may be.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:43 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,276 times
Quote:
Am I a failure if I move back to my hometown ? I cant find a decent job here in triangle and my previous employer back on coast is begging me to come back. problem is I have no housing back on coast and would have to start over AGAIN!!
Do I tough it out here and keep searching job or do I bite bullet and consider myself a FAILURE back on coast!!
You are NOT a failure!!! And don't let any one in your hometown try to tell you that. YOU had the courage to leave and try something NEW! I grew up in a small town on the coast and I know LOTS of people who have never left because they were afraid of leaving. But when someone leaves and comes back they rib that person. Just because you got laid off in the worst possible economic times of most of our lives, do NOT let anyone give you guff over trying. They have not walked in your shoes. You have!

You should be proud of yourself for reaching out and trying something new. It's not your fault the economy tanked!

Take the job. Figure out the rest. Breath Deep. This time next year you'll look back and see how far you have come!

Old 12-06-2008, 05:20 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,613 times
Failure? That's not even applicable to your situation. You are merely making a choice to move for work opportunities. Times are tight for a lot of people right now. The best any of us can do is make the right decisions for ourselves and our families and wish for better days.

Good luck in whatever path life takes you down!

Old 12-06-2008, 06:57 PM

715 posts, read 1,038,374 times
If it were me I would go back to the coast-- obviously your previous employer sees your past work as quite an asset (begging you to come back) ... I'd move back. It's a buyer's/renter's market for the most part right now as well-- so perhaps new housing on the coast will be easier to find than a job in the Triangle. No harm, no foul (MHO)

Old 12-06-2008, 07:14 PM

33 posts, read 97,799 times
You are by no means a failure! Life is short and sometimes you need to take a chance to see if it will work out. All that matters is that you are happy and providing for your family. Good luck!!

Old 12-07-2008, 08:52 PM

129 posts, read 670,889 times
Please do not be concerned with how others perceive your experience. You are your best critic and judge and only you know your situation and the reasons why you make those choices. Our first priority is our familes. In this economy , having a job is a blessing. You made an effort to try something different and unfortunately, the timing is tough on many in these times. Be patient and kind to yourself. Taking risks is a part of life and we often need to "fail" in order to grow. Alexander Graham Bell "failed " many times before he was successful , and had he given up those 99 times he "failed" we would not have the great invention of the telephone today..Move on, hold your head up high , do your best and when the situation improves, there is always room for change...good luck to you and your family...the cup is always full, never half empty.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:56 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshyomaster View Post
Please do not be concerned with how others perceive your experience. You are your best critic and judge and only you know your situation and the reasons why you make those choices. Our first priority is our familes. In this economy , having a job is a blessing. You made an effort to try something different and unfortunately, the timing is tough on many in these times. Be patient and kind to yourself. Taking risks is a part of life and we often need to "fail" in order to grow. Alexander Graham Bell "failed " many times before he was successful , and had he given up those 99 times he "failed" we would not have the great invention of the telephone today..Move on, hold your head up high , do your best and when the situation improves, there is always room for change...good luck to you and your family...the cup is always full, never half empty.
What he said...

Old 12-08-2008, 05:16 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,330 times
Quote:
Is your pity party over yet?

You have a job offer and a means to support your family. Gee, it must be horrible for you to have this option. In case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of people unemployed, and soon to be homeless. What you've described doesn't sound so bad, does it?

So here's what you do: take care of your family by whatever means necessary. If that means moving back to the coast, so be it. Make the move, start over with housing, and never look back. Don't whine, don't complain. Be a man and set a good example for your family and children (if you have any). Instill in them that if you have a job, a roof over your head, food on the table, and your loving family beside you, that you are never poor. You're the richest man on earth.

Since when did the Triangle become the set for the Mary Tyler Moore Show and the "if I can make it here I can make it anywhere" mentality? Failure? Please.

It may not come across very well, but yes, I am mad. But don't worry, it'll pass.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:42 AM

32 posts, read 94,798 times
Default Move Forward

Sometimes we have to go back to move forward. Failure no way I don't think so . Making the best possible move for your situation "now" does not equal failure. Failure is staying stuck and not even trying--that doesn't seem like your situation at all. Go with the flow of your situation right now. Let your heart lead you and I am sure you will do the right thing. In the end remember it is your choice and you must have peace about it.

Peace and Blessings,
M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary