Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,152,942 times

Advertisements

You've met "several" lazy, self-entitled people out of the thousands of people you've met in your lifetime, and it eats at you bad enough that you'll kvetch on a CD forum in a thread about where the jobs are??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,069,777 times
I meant the "smug" comment only as a generality. ...not to my favorite post-ers on this list such as NRG and Francois.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I have a job. I'm grateful. I’m not smug.

FWIW today I used some of the money I make at my job to pay the refrigerator repair man for his job replacing the condenser fan in my fridge. The arrangement worked out well for both of us.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:24 AM

8 posts, read 15,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
No, not a "huge chip on a shoulder", it just annoys me that these people exist, and they do exist, I've met several of them. And no, it's not an overgeneralization either, these people are exactly as I described them.

sounds to me like you are jealous. i am sure if something arose that gave you a cushy job with high salary, you would take it. most would.

i love how you have met "several" of them. what is several? 3 people. I am sure those 3 people are keeping you from getting the job and salary you desire, and the life you probably think you deserve. Get over it.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:15 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,772,566 times
Quote:
No, not a "huge chip on a shoulder", it just annoys me that these people exist, and they do exist, I've met several of them. And no, it's not an overgeneralization either, these people are exactly as I described them.
Be that as it may, it's not going to help you get a job to dwell on it.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:09 PM

21 posts, read 54,547 times
JMANA, I am willing to help if you want a unbiased proof reading of your cover letter and resume prior to posting it on careerbuilder or job postings. I am sure that I am not the only person willing to help out, just ask.... I think that this is the time to help one another, we are all in this together and believe me, it is hitting all of us, perhaps just in different ways. Nothing is fair or just... it is time to be proactive not just reactive.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 PM

21 posts, read 54,547 times
I just found an interesting link DesperateDollars.com

Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 PM

6 posts, read 16,622 times
Quote:
Wow, what exactly is your definition of a living wage?! I CERTAINLY don't aspire to live in a $500k house, I am more than satisfied renting a modest townhouse, but I can't pay for rent, utilities, rising food prices, gas, car, health insurance, plus before/after school care and summer school for my son on anything less than $15 an hour. I was making $20 an hour before I was laid off, and to be honest I haven't seen anything above $12 an hour that doesn't require some specialized training or several years experience in a specialized field. Maybe if you live in a sketchy neighborhood, in a small apartment and aren't supporting any children you could probably live on less, but other than that it's nearly impossible to live off of what these employers are offering these days. My job was replaced by a fresh college grad, who is making probably half of what I was, and I am sure he's satisfied, but therein lies the problem, people like me with families or children to support are being kicked out of our jobs and being replaced by people, who for whatever reason, are willing to work for less

Yes, there are all kinds of reasons why people are unable to support themselves. I in no way intended to generalize people's problems or belittle anyone in any way. There are a lot of aspects of my situation that make is easier to support myself. For one, I am married and have a second income that is pretty similar to my own. Second, it is just my wife and I, no children to worry about.

My only point is that there are a lot of people who won't downsize and think that they need things they do not. I live in cary/morrisville and sometimes it seems as though these $400,000-$500,000 houses are the norm and I wouldnt want to hear any complaining from people who are unable to pay their mortgage on a home like that. But for everyone else who is struggling, I feel for you. We just got on our feet in the past couple of months. When we first moved here I had three part time jobs because I hadnt found anything in my field. They were very much below my training/education but you do what you have to do. Some people don't have that attitude.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:45 AM

406 posts, read 786,888 times
Default N.C. unemployment surges to 9.7 percent

North Carolina's unemployment rate jumped to 9.7 percent in January, the highest since March 1983, according to figures released today by the N.C. Employment Security Commission.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:54 PM

360 posts, read 993,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
North Carolina's unemployment rate jumped to 9.7 percent in January, the highest since March 1983, according to figures released today by the N.C. Employment Security Commission.
Not good. I bet the February numbers will be even worse though. Even though 9.7% looks bad, the situation is even worse than it seems as a lot of people took jobs making barely enough to survive, and so even though they are technically employed they are still looking for work.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:13 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,150,917 times
well my wife and i have both started looking for jobs down there... good timing, huh? at least there seems to be a lot of new positions being advertised in biotech. no clue how many competitors i will have for each, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary