Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
The good thing is that because the OP is in private school enrolling in public school for NEXT year it will not have effect on whether or not they have to actually decide to go to public school. If they do get into a magnet with WCPSS and change their minds about the whole thing, they can just go back to private with no consequences. But if the OP waits until later in the year to decide what to do, magnet will no longer be an option and the only left will be their base school.
Good point! The timing really works for the OP to apply to magnets, see what happens, and then make a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 05:41 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
when you are in a private school, do you have to make a commitment to 'stay on' by a certain date? is this date before or after you hear about magnets and such? just curious if they are helpful or not about making different decisions.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:15 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,946 times
I don't know about the school the OP is at but the school my kids are at...yes you have to commit before the magnet and charter lotteries are drawn and notification sent out.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:31 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordpair View Post
Thanks for your very blunt and in my opinion heartfelt answer. I do appreciate it and I have often felt the same way. My comcern is that if we have only a few years to be able handle a few years for each child that middle school might be more important than now.

I appreciate any other insights. FYI to others reading this, amny parents with kids in private school seem to have unlimited funds, but most of us make huge sacrifices to have out kids there.
Exactly. To those saying "you can't afford not to be in private schools" I would counter that first you can't afford to BE in one if it means mortgaging your and/or the kids' future (eg retirement portfolio or their college fund) and second not all public schools are some disaster area (sorry don't have specific recommendations).

I understand a good education is very important but at that age I think their emotional development is at least as important - in fact more so - and bouncing a kid in/out of schools doesn't do wonders for that, ie extremely stressful because they "lose" friendships, have to start over etc. That's far easier for an adult than that delicate age when you're still learning how to develop friendships and social bonds or circles/etc.

Basically if money is that tight, I would do what you are doing - research as much as possible and try to find a public school which is at least respectable and go with it. If you truly can't afford a private school, don't live beyond your means and endanger your and/or the kids' future (eg college, when their quality of education is far more important, or your retirement portfolio) for it.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:16 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post

I understand a good education is very important but at that age I think their emotional development is at least as important - in fact more so - and bouncing a kid in/out of schools doesn't do wonders for that, ie extremely stressful because they "lose" friendships, have to start over etc. That's far easier for an adult than that delicate age when you're still learning how to develop friendships and social bonds or circles/etc.
Sadly that's one of the biggest reasons that people choose private schools in wake county. ...to ensure that their kids are not bounced around every year do to reassignment.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 AM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
Sadly that's one of the biggest reasons that people choose private schools in wake county. ...to ensure that their kids are not bounced around every year do to reassignment.
You know, I've been hearing about the latest reassignment in the news, and all the hollering that's going on about it.

I can't help but wonder, though - with all this animosity about school reassignments, why doesn't the school board get voted out and replaced with people who won't do that anymore?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:18 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Unfortunately it's not that easy. The Wake school Board is elected, but it's not an "at large" election. Each area in the county has one specific board seat to vote for and in some areas, they don't even always have 2 people running. So if you don't like the way board member A voted on an issue, but the board member representing you is Board member B, your hands are tied.
I am very supportive of WCPSS policies on redistricting, but this is something I don't agree with and believe the board should have at large elections in Wake County since the board as a whole has the lauthority to affect where families are assigned to school across the entire county. Since a good chunk of children are sent to school outside of the area that their board member represents, they should be able to vote for the member who represents the area where a child actually goes to school.
Hope that makes sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary