Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2007, 11:27 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times

Advertisements

So I'm planning on moving to Clayton, but work in RTP. Yeah, I know..what am I thinking? lol

Anyway, I heard there was a way to access 540 off of 42 East. Something about a road called Covered Bridge...
Anyone familar with this?

The drive from 42 to 70 to 40 just does not appeal to me at all...any short cutes also would be well appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 03:44 PM

271 posts, read 1,213,446 times
Really it's not a short cut just a series of country roads that will end up dumping you onto the 64 bypass and then 540. I'm really not sure if would be any quicker than the hwy 70 to interstate 40 scenario. But anyhoo you could take hwy 42 East out of clayton or Covered bridge Rd. (Which is Oneil street downtown clayton) Then make a left on Buffalo Rd wither way. Which will change into Eagle Rock Road which then ties into 264 which has a direct ramp to 540. But since there are a few who know about this way I'm not sure it is an better than the alternative. Hope this helps

Old 02-28-2007, 03:45 PM

583 posts, read 2,802,793 times
Depending on how far you live from 40/42 and if you can go in a little earlier than the norm, the drive really isn't all that bad! Many years from now they'll have that part of the 540 loop for us

Old 02-28-2007, 04:16 PM

139 posts, read 550,660 times
It just really depends on where you live in Clayton if the back way will help you. If you live in the Riverwood area-yes it will. From Riverwood (athletic) that road becomes Smithfield Rd in Wake Cty-5 min from Riverwood-that dumps directly into 64 bypass to 540. Also Shotwell Rd by the Bojangles-go north about 10 mins and then turn left onto Smithfield Rd.

If you live closer to Hwy 70 (south side of Clayton) or in the Glen Laurel area it is probably tit-for-tat on how quick to get to RTP-70 or 540. Seemed to me much longer around 540 to RTP from Glen Laurel area by going back roads to get to Smithfield Rd. But if you are sitting in traffic on 70 or 40 in Raleigh/Cary it might be better to use 540!

Didn't help at all did I?

Old 02-28-2007, 04:25 PM

233 posts, read 860,532 times
I live off of Amelia Church Rd. in Clayton and I take the backroads to the 64 Bypass. I work off of New Hope Rd., and it used to take a good 30 minutes to go either 70 to 40 to Jones Sausage, or 70 to 40 and get off at Poole Rd and hit New Hope. I now go out Shotwell, cross over the Neuse River, left on Bethlehem Rd., Left on Grasshopper, left on Poole Rd., Right on Hodge Rd and then hop on the 65 Bypass and New Hope Rd. is just 2 miles up and I'm at work, 22 minutes and about 16 miles. (ofcourse that depends on the light at CVS & Bojangles, but that would be in either case). So for anyone to hit 540, that would just be one exit up the other direction on the Bypass, then its approx. 26 miles to where it dumps out at I-40 in Durham/RTP. We were trying to rationalize it with a neighbor who is contemplating working in Durham.. might be a few miles more, but less time in traffic. 540 doesn't seem to back-up like 40 does at the bottleneck in Cary, and god-forbid theres an accident there.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:38 PM

137 posts, read 607,193 times
I've been told that it's a toss-up as to whether the eastern leg of 540 will ever get built from where it ends in Knightdale down to Clayton. For now, it's the backroads to either Hwy 64 or you can still take the traditional route - Hwy 70 and I-40.

If it's any comfort, the southern loop of 540 from Clayton around Apex to Morrisville will be the ideal route when it's done. Bad news is that it's probably not going to be done for 10 years - and that's the optimistic outlook. VERY optimistic.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:48 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
Wow, everyone was a big help here!
I'm looking at a house at Magnolia Village. Its the drive from there to hwy 55/54 in Durham thats going to kill me.

I'm currently staying on Guy Rd in Clayton and its sooooo annoying sitting in I40 traffic, especially around the Cary area. I can't imagine living further away from the I40 exit as I do now so this is alot to digest.

Daym dream home..UGH!!! lol Guess I have to pay for it somehow, right?

Old 03-01-2007, 12:59 PM

139 posts, read 550,660 times
Yeah-sometimes coming down 42 to 70 from Flowers in the am will get really backed up there at the light with Glen Laurel road-depends on what time in the am you will be traveling. There are a couple of new subdivisions on Guy Rd but you have probably seen them-that would keep you closer to 70/40. Check out Hannah's Creek also if you haven't. Take Ameila Church down over 42 and it will be on your right about a mile.

We looked hard for a place on the Western side of Clayton closer to 40 as DH travels to Garner and this would cut his drive in half. Just couldnt find the right neighborhood there so we are building in Flowers also and he will fight the 42 East traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary