Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:44 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Try Red Robin at Brier Creek.
Now I will never sleep a wink tonight.
That's all right, unless I wake the Mrs. up whilst snickering and shaking to keep from LOL...

Old 12-13-2008, 09:51 PM

1,967 posts, read 953,573 times
Sorry, but a quick off topic. Congratulation to MikeJaquish for his first Gold Star!!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
I agree with the poster that goes out later. I rarely see families out after 7:30 pm at nicer places.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 PM

238 posts, read 668,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
Seriously, you don't need to be so rude about it. If you genuinely want to know where to eat where you won't encounter children, then simply pose the question. I have no problem at all if you or anyone else wants to eat in an enviroment with minimal children. But there was no need to resort to namecalling, parental judgement, sarcasm, etc. This is not the place for it and I, as well as many other parents who have found themselves in that situation a time or two I'm sure, am very offended, and I don't get offended easily.
You were pretty rude in your response in the first place, BTW. His question was valid and has been experienced by many people. If you can't control your kids, stay at home.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Frankly and to the point I am sick as hell of going out to eat only at some point to be treated to some screaming brat and their mindless so-called parents who are clearly unable, or worse, unwilling to teach their kids to behave (in public at least) and do little if anything about it. Also I don't consider taking newborns out to eat to be terribly brilliant either. I guess I'm one of these radicals who thinks eating out should be a relatively peaceful experience....so tell me, while I know it's probably a pipe dream, are there any good places to eat in or near Raleigh which tends to have more of an adult clientele?
AMEN!

I have some tips for finding a more adult dining experience. They are as follows:
  1. Spend more money. Families tend to not eat at expensive places because there are more mouths to feed.
  2. Go into the city. Children in restaurants are more common in the burbs.
  3. Eat at restaurants that have unique menus or items that kids don't like.
  4. Eat later at night (this still works in Raleigh but doesn't in Miami). If you can eat at 9PM, you'll find it much more peaceful.
  5. Eat at restaurants that don't cater to kids (no kids menus or family specials, etc.)

With all that in mind, here's a list of places that I like to eat that are more adult focused. Most of them are in or near downtown.
  1. 518 West Italian
  2. 5 Star Chinese
  3. Duck and Dumpling
  4. The Rockford
  5. Bloomsbury Bistro
  6. Red Room
  7. Bogarts
  8. Solas
  9. Vivace

I don't have kids and while I can understand that kids are kids are kids, I also know that my parents NEVER let us behave in public the way that many kids are allowed to behave in public today. It's not the kids' faults, it's the parents' faults for the misbehavior. So, while I have nothing against sharing a restaurant with people of all ages, I have learned from experience that my chances for an enjoyable dining out experience are enhanced if I look for more adult settings.

Let's hope that Raleigh doesn't get as bad as Miami Beach. I see people pushing strollers at 2AM and elementary school aged kids skateboarding around al fresco restaurants and bars after 11PM on school nights.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
What kinds of places have you been going to bill? If you are trying to avoid children I would try to avoid chains like Applebees, Chilis ect... I would look to more pub like places like Tir-Na-Nog, Hibernian Pub and the like. I also notice that most Thai, tapas, and wine bar type establishments are typically child free. If you focus on restaurants in downtown Raleigh you greatly eliminate the amount of children you will encounter while dining out.

However, once when eating at the Duck & Dumpling in Downtown Raleigh my wife and I were seated next to a family eating out with their two small children (they looked to be between 4 & 6). Let me tell you, those two kids were better behaved than I was.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:38 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
I agree with NRG, try a pub style resteraunt and go out later. One resteraunt in particular that I can think of that is not kid friendly is Captain Stanley's. They have the best calabash style seafood, but not much of an atmosphere and not kid friendly.

I get where you're coming from...not wanting to go out and hear screaming kids. I have a 4 year old with special needs and another that just turned 3. I totally appreciate the rare dates I get with my husband without our children. Make wise decisions where you eat and don't be so quick to pass judgement. I'm a damn good mother, but my kids have moments and do sometimes get louder than they should (especially my special needs child.) Both of my children have more than appropriate table manners for their age and they still can act like total brats sometimes. I trust that since you are a parent, you would understand that. Surely your children had their moments too?

Old 12-13-2008, 10:39 PM

30 posts, read 124,897 times
Anywhere in and around Glenwood South will do the trick I think. Some are relatively inexpensive such as stool pigeons (although that is more of a bar atmosphere) but there are some upscale ones as well where you rarely if ever see a very young child. Most are adult type places.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:43 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,050 times
We have only been here since end of January and have mostly eaten out in and around Clayton, but have on a few occasions eaten in raleigh (places like applebees). I would have to say, in general, we are finding most children in the restaurants with their parents (those about 5 yrs and older) to be more well behaved then we were accustomed to coming from New York and we have been pretty impressed. Just our observation.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:47 PM

26 posts, read 79,082 times
It looks like you are setting your family up for upset anyway with that kind of attitude:

If you don't bring your kids with you, they are punished. And they know this, according to you.
If you do bring them, then you are punished as the place doesn't qualify anymore (as being kids-free) even if it did ...

Unless your kids are grown ups now, then congratulations on graduating from that phase! Also thanks for the self-discipline by staying in family-friendly restaurants all those years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary