Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:59 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Well, this sounds pretty annoying, quite frankly.

Sooooo, why didn't you bring actual QUIET TOYS if you have a kid who is so young that you're still nursing him?? This is what I'm talking about -- not planning ahead when you take kids out, not dealing with an issue that has arisen.

I'm with her.

You sound like a real gem. Please post your eating out schedule in advance so we can avoid your little darlings.
Trust me, if I'm out with my kids I'll be sure to have them standing on the booth so they can toss wet rice into your drink and pull your hair all night ...

Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
Why are you equating bad child behavior and lack of parental displine with nursing a child?

Two VASTLY different things.
In my experience, people who are irritated when my son cries in public get more irritated when I comfort him by nursing him in public.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:17 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chime View Post
I was a much better parent before I had kids.
ROFL...the funniest thing I've read yet! And so true! I'd like Tatiana to check back in with this thread exactly 30 months after having her first child. J/K, but that said, I DID notice and despised permissive parenting in public. I recall going to the beach before I hit 20 with a friend who had a preschooler. This kid was going around tossing handfuls of sand AT the other beach goers. I was mortified, and the mom did nothing. Same kid threw a metal truck at my head at his house. Mom did nothing. So I did a little disciplining for my own safety.

Anyhow, I have 2 spirited boys; 6 and 10 year old. Over the years, we've gone out occasionally but we followed a couple rules that I wished more parents would abide by.

First we went at off times (3-4pm for dinner) to avoid the dinner rush. Rush = waiting...and kids don't wait well, at least mine don't. Its just better to avoid it if you can. And we remove our kids from the restaurant the minute their behavior affects anyone around us. They will get one warning and if they do not heed it, we remove them to the car. We will give them a chance to return to the restaurant but any further outbursts and we pack up our food and leave. They have learned that we will leave a restaurant if they do not behave AND it will be a long time before they earn the privilege again.

Our babes were always up late early on in their lives. So if we did go out to restaurants, they came with us. Kids are all different, not all babes are in bed at 7pm. It does not mean there is bad parenting happening. Still, we evaluated going out and if the stars were all lined up properly (they weren't over tired, or too hungry or there wouldn't be a long wait, etc, etc) then we would go out (again at an off time).

Lauren

Old 12-15-2008, 05:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
As annoyed as I am about uncontrolled behavior of kids in restaurants, it's nothing compared to how annoyed my parents get. You see, from their perspective, kids should not be out at night at all. They should be in their homes, on a schedule and in bed by a decent hour. To the poster here who said he/she would go out with his/her kid at 5PM for dinner, my mother would kiss your feet for "getting it". My mom always says that parenting has obligations and sacrifices that fewer and fewer people are willing to make or take seriously.
Now, before anyone starts throwing eggs at me, I am only communicating what my parents think.....not that I think they are wrong.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:55 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
In my experience, people who are irritated when my son cries in public get more irritated when I comfort him by nursing him in public.
Incorrect. I have no problems with a mother discreetly nursing their infant.

I do have huge issues with any parent that thinks a crying child or a misbheaving one, is cute and refuses to deal with it.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:56 PM

32 posts, read 96,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chime View Post
I was a much better parent before I had kids. .
I like that!

I also want to add that we have a 4yo and 2yo twins-all boys. We used to love to eat out but now we can't often because it's such a gamble with the kids. Sometimes they are perfect angels, who are quiet,cooperative and neat eaters. Other times they are loud, uncooperative and messy (and it makes us extremly embarassed). So now we limit our dining 1-2 a month and only to chain restaurants before 6pm.

When hubby and I want to go out alone, we go to a more expensive place or we may try a chain restaurant after 9. There usually aren't many kids during that time.
No biggie.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:16 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,133 times
[quote=Babytarheelz;6562718]I was going to stay out of this, but I'm curious.....you really think kids have no business going to restaurants or malls? Really? No kids at all?....they should be condemned to their homes for the first 10 years of their life. quote]

Ooops, I guess I was not being specific. Of course they can be taken to kid-friendly restaurants like Chuck-E-Cheese, Mcdonalds etc where there are many others kids and they do not get bored. Kids cry when they get bored. When adults go out to eat, they expect a restaurant atmosphere, not Disneyland. And you're right, if patrons do not like the Disneyland-like atmosphere, they are free to leave. We do that and a lot of our friends do the same too. Either they go to expensive restaurants (i.e Steak houses) or they come back very late when the brats are gone .

Last year we had a bad experience at O'Charleys when we were dining. At the booth next to us, there was this kid eating with his mother. I guess she was forcing him to eat his food and he wasn't having it! Next thing we know, the boy started throwing pieces of pizza at his mother but unfortunately, some of these hit us. My winter white sweater got messed up with pizza sauce and cheese (yeah!) and my boyfriend's hair also got the same thing. We had plans to go somewhere else afterwards but we were so miserable and headed straight home...I don't think the issue is that of well-behaved or badly-behaved kids. I think the issue is that kids are easily bored in an environment that is not fun (like chuck-E-cheese), so why not take them there instead or better yet take them to the best place on earth:their home.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:25 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonnatellonu;6569907}
[I
WoW! Are you serious? That sounds pretty stupid, if you ask me.[/i]

This is what sounds pretty studpid to me..your uncalled-for comments

Old 12-15-2008, 06:25 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,949 times
[quote=tatiana1;6574999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
I was going to stay out of this, but I'm curious.....you really think kids have no business going to restaurants or malls? Really? No kids at all?....they should be condemned to their homes for the first 10 years of their life. quote]

Ooops, I guess I was not being specific. Of course they can be taken to kid-friendly restaurants like Chuck-E-Cheese, Mcdonalds etc where there are many others kids and they do not get bored. Kids cry when they get bored. When adults go out to eat, they expect a restaurant atmosphere, not Disneyland. And you're right, if patrons do not like the Disneyland-like atmosphere, they are free to leave. We do that and a lot of our friends do the same too. Either they go to expensive restaurants (i.e Steak houses) or they come back very late when the brats are gone .

Last year we had a bad experience at O'Charleys when we were dining. At the booth next to us, there was this kid eating with his mother. I guess she was forcing him to eat his food and he wasn't having it! Next thing we know, the boy started throwing pieces of pizza at his mother but unfortunately, some of these hit us. My winter white sweater got messed up with pizza sauce and cheese (yeah!) and my boyfriend's hair also got the same thing. We had plans to go somewhere else afterwards but we were so miserable and headed straight home...I don't think the issue is that of well-behaved or badly-behaved kids. I think the issue is that kids are easily bored in an environment that is not fun (like chuck-E-cheese), so why not take them there instead or better yet take them to the best place on earth:their home.
Sorry, but O'Charley's is hardly a barometer for fine dining - in fact, it's another example of disgusting food served in a loud environment with a bar attached to the dining area that I would NEVER bring my kids to. (made a promise to my kids when they started eating solid foods: that I would never offer them something I would not eat myself -- O'Charley's violates that rule!)

Chuck-E-Cheese food is disgusting. McDonald's food is disgusting. Why on earth would I bring my kids there for dinner? I suppose you are also on the bandwagon of people who complain about your healthcare benefits costing you so much (because you are subsidizing the obese and growing population fortified by such positive nutrition?)

I will pose the question again -how are children supposed to learn how to behave if they don't see the behavior to model? Should kids be left out of church? (I have been to friends churches where kids are essentially banished- I find that bizarre!) The places you cite are hardly restaurants.

Old people, young people, babies, fat people, people of color, people who speak different languages, have different abilities -- we are all part of society. If you don't want to be a part of society - then stay home. But please, don't quit your day job to become a restaurant reviewer!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:34 PM

238 posts, read 669,289 times
[quote=NcerfromNY;6573925]Trust me, if I'm out with my kids I'll be sure to have them standing on the booth so they can toss wet rice into your drink and pull your hair all night ...[/QUOTE

Classy. It sounds like you are raising some great future contributors to society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary