Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:59 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

There isn't any one website I can think of, but a great place to start is by picking up a free copy of the Independent Weekly (Local free Paper). They have a good Arts & Entertainment Calendar as well as some great articles about local events and politics. If you are not in the area and can't get your hands on a hardcopy here is a link to the online version:

http://www.indyweek.com

Here is a direct link to the Arts & Entertainment Calendar:

http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 11:07 PM

965 posts, read 4,498,840 times
[quote=North_Raleigh_Guy;416697]Get there early though.... it really starts to get busy around 8:00pm.

Many smaller galleries along Glenwood avenue downtown participate in this monthly event as well.QUOTE]

Is there ample parking close by (not parallel, though - forgot how to do it when I moved out of Wash., DC. )?

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2007, 05:45 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Is there ample parking close by (not parallel, though - forgot how to do it when I moved out of Wash., DC. )?Thanks!
There are parking decks. Unfortunately, they charge a fee to park - something like $3 for the area around Glenwood South. There are also several parking lots, but be careful - some are owned by specific retailers and you can get towed if you park in the lot but go to another building instead.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:30 AM

965 posts, read 4,498,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
There are parking decks. Unfortunately, they charge a fee to park - something like $3 for the area around Glenwood South. There are also several parking lots, but be careful - some are owned by specific retailers and you can get towed if you park in the lot but go to another building instead.
Thank you. As a single female, I wouldn't mind the $3 at all, especially if I was there at the art show by myself and leaving around 9:30 p.m.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:10 PM

Thumbs up Artspace Event Announcement!

Just got this announcement via email today. Sounds like it would be a good opportunity to check the Fayetteville Street area with your whole family!

Come outside and get inspired! Artspace, Raleigh's visual art center that provides educational programs, exhibitions and features in-house artist studios, takes its creative energy outdoors to Fayetteville Street on Saturday, April 21 from 2-6 PM.

Sponsored by the City of Raleigh and the Friends of World Music, Artspace will present more than 20 artists painting, sculpting and creating on Fayetteville Street. Watch these talented artists as they recreate Fayetteville Street and Downtown Raleigh on their canvases. Catch a glimpse of local celebrities as they have their portraits painted.

Enjoy live music by Mixed Water, African drumming and dancing by Djembe Fire!, and performances by dance students from Southeast Raleigh High School. Experience your artistic talents with your children and explore the children's activity booth.

Bring the whole family! Sample a variety of delectable wines, taste some great local food by Yancey's and The Big Easy, and immerse yourself in an art filled afternoon!

Artspace Paints Fayetteville Street will take place on Fayetteville Street between Davie and Hargett Streets. For more information, contact Artspace at 919.821.2787 or visit
http://www.artspacenc.org.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:20 PM

177 posts, read 847,366 times
Thanks for this! I'm going to code it in my calenar. Maybe we could set up some sort of meet-up for those of us that are in the area and hungry for art?

eileen

Old 04-11-2007, 06:08 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Since folks asked about Durham festivals: This weekend is the Downtown Durham Art Walk, which bills itself as the largest such event in the state. http://www.durhamartwalk.com/ for more info.

Also, this Thursday-Sunday is the Full Frame documentary film festival, sponsored by Duke and the New York Times, is the largest such event in the US, which will take over most of downtown Durham. Michael Moore and Ariel Dorfman will be among the panelists; day passes are available, too. (www.fullframefest.org) (broken link).

There's a third Friday event in Durham, too, with galleries and the like open.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Just a heads-up in case you enjoy looking at artwork and meeting the artists. If so, I encourage you to check out downtown Raleigh tomorrow night from 6-10pm for the next edition of First Fridays.

Every first Friday of the month the various art galleries and studios located downtown throw an "Open House" called First Fridays. It is a great opportunity to check out some cool artwork and the artists are often on hand to discuss their work or answer any questions you have. Best of all, it is all free!

My wife and I usually hit a place called Artspace that is located downtown on Davie Street. It is a large two story warehouse sized studio where artists rent out studio space and display their work. There is free beer, wine and munchies (They do suggest donations, but they don't twist your arm) and they usually have some live music as well. It is a very cool experience. Get there early though.... it really starts to get busy around 8:00pm.

Many smaller galleries along Glenwood avenue downtown participate in this monthly event as well.

Definitely a cool thing to check out in Downtown Raleigh!

Anybody know if they do something similar in Durham?

Link to Artspace: Artspace | Visual Art Center

Just thought I would revive this thread becasue another "First Friday" is upon on 9/7/07!

I am headed to Artspace I hope! Maybe I will actually buy something!!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 06:49 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times
We have never been to Raleigh. If we want to go to the First Friday where should we go to so that we can find the activities? Is there anything there for teens or should we leave the girls at home? Is there somewhere we can park that is easy to find.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:10 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Here is the Downtown Raleigh Alliance website for First Fridays Events :: Downtown Raleigh Alliance (http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/event-detail.cfm?id=1075&month=9&year=2007 - broken link). There are many galleries around the downtown area that participate in addition to ArtSpace, just look for the First Friday flag hanging outside. So don't forget to venture out for lots of great local art! This is a great event for all ages, anyone who appreciates art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary