U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:51 AM

429 posts, read 693,150 times

Advertisements

hey. i'm gonna graduate from University of South Carolina in May of 2009 and I want to work in government. DC is too expensive, Atlanta is not an option for me, and Florida is doing crappy right now. Everyone talks about how awesome Raleigh is and I think I would do well there. I want to be a staff assistant or something for the statehouse or whatever NC agency in NC. I'd mostly like to be where the action is, the chambers Any help would be lovely. I feel that I am pretty qualified, and I only added gpa if that's important in the process, but I'm a hard worker and I can prove that my academic record is not a reflection of my work and love for govt.

So here are some stats about myself:

I'm 20 when I graduate in May, 21 next August.
I will have a BA in Political Science, with a focus on American Govt.
My gpa is less than a 3.0 but higher than a 2.75
I have interned at the SC. House of Representatives and Amnesty Intl.
I currently work as an office assistant at my school, and have been for a year. It's mostly billing assistance to my boss and clerical stuff.

I'd like to have some kind of job in nonprofit too, if there are a lot of that around there. I'm not sure. Lobbying, whatever. Just tell me so I can start applying and hopefully get something soon, so I can look for apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 11:59 AM

2,151 posts, read 3,215,177 times
What exactly are you asking us for? Info on how to get those kinds of jobs? Opinions on whether NC is a good place for you to try this line of work?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:02 PM

yeah, do you have an info on how i could get jobs like that? sorry, i should have been more clear.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:10 PM

449 posts, read 1,060,093 times
You could always, you know, Google.

"North Carolina State House" leads to the website of, wait for it . . . . the North Carolina House of Representatives. In the upper right hand side there is a link for job vacancies - all appear to be research positions. Maybe not what you were looking for, but it's a foot in the door. Perhaps you could cold call (or send letters to) the Representatives offices asking about aide positions.

[added - might want to check out who will be new in office this coming year.]

The Triangle area is a fine place to live. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Bilirubin; 12-16-2008 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 12-16-2008, 12:32 PM

535 posts, read 1,129,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
You could always, you know, Google.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:48 PM

I have a Poli Sci degree myself and did some work in the SC state house a long time ago. I currently live in the Triangle area and have worked at various times for governmental agencies. (Not really recently, though, so keep that in mind when reading my answer.) The kind of jobs you're looking for are really hard to get if you're not from NC. Most people who wind up in legislative assistant or lobbyist positions get the jobs because they know somebody who knows somebody, in addition to having the background or qualifications needed. Incumbent state legislators are probably already fully staffed. Any new legislators who just got elected in November will have lots of favors to pay off from their campaigns.

If you don't have an "in," your only avenue is to get a legislative directory and start making cold calls to staffs. (I have to admit I'm surprised you can't come up with this stuff on your own if you've interned in the SC state House. Surely you know how to find a legislative directory?) Or try one of the research positions as a stepping stone. (Note that asking this kind of job search question on such a forum does not demonstrate stellar research skills.)

Not trying to totally discourage you, but those aren't the easiest positions to come by without some personal reference. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:26 PM

223 posts, read 518,747 times
NC State agency jobs listed here:

http://www.osp.state.nc.us/

Old 12-16-2008, 02:32 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,826,149 times
As someone else said, not being from NC puts you at a big disadvantage (I'm curious why you don't apply to the SOUTH Carolina statehouse, if you've worked there and gone to school there? At least to get some experience and then transfer to a similar job here).

I work in state govt and we answer questions from the Legislature...just be aware that it is a very high-pressue environment; Legislators are not known for their small egos and when they want something, they want it *NOW*!! And they don't care how many times something has to be redone over and over with a tiny change, during the compromise process.

One of the Legislative research folks used to come over and bring us the latest batch of questions from Jones St (the statehouse) and she was an enormously smart woman (both book smart AND street smart, which it takes in that environment) but was constantly under pressure and worked ungodly hours, answering every little question they threw out (with them not knowing nor caring that it took massive research and data to find the correct answers).

I'm sure there are some areas of the NC Leg. that aren't such a pressure-cooker, but in general, I find that the closer the job gets to the actual politicians, the higher the blood pressure.

However, I still think not being from NC is your biggest hurdle, especially in this economy. They worry about constituents saying things like "Why did they hire someone from outside the state when NC unemployment is going up?" etc.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
As someone else said, not being from NC puts you at a big disadvantage (I'm curious why you don't apply to the SOUTH Carolina statehouse, if you've worked there and gone to school there? At least to get some experience and then transfer to a similar job here).
You have to know somebody, and I tried with all the black politicians to give me an in, which I hate doing because I don't personally believe it but whatever. I noticed immediately that if you don't live in a black neighborhood, or didn't go to a black school, you were looked at differently. I didn't appreciate that, so I was hoping to go to a state that was maybe more liberal than SC. But it seems that it may be the same thing in other states which is depressing.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:50 PM

I hate to break it to you, but EVERY state legislature runs pretty much the same way. It has nothing to do with being "liberal" or not. Politicians always have favors to pay off or "future favors" to put in the bank. Jobs go to the children of the friends or large contributors or outstanding alumni from "their" schools. This has been the case for centuries! People practically kill for the kinds of jobs you're talking about. You should really start thinking of Plan B while working towards Plan A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary