Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times

Advertisements

Ok I just had a frightful woods in the backyard experience.
I just went to take the trash out for the night. Our flood light only covers so much ground so I headed to the Trash Can and when I lifted the lid I heard something really close to me scour fast away from me.
It had a horse running kind of sound so I am going to assume it was a deer but I will never know and that is fine with me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:23 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Well, my philosophy is that as long as I hear it running AWAY, I don''t need to know what it was!

But I've had those experiences too. Actually I have a cat that looks frighteningly like a racoon. I was once sitting on my deck in the dark, having a glass of wine chatting away on the phone when my "cat" came up on the deck and walked under my legs. I reached down to pet my "cat" only to find a freaking RACOON under my legs. (we've had a racoon problem in our yard for years and those things can be FIERCE if cornered!). I promptly screamed bloody murder, jumped on the chair and screamed some more, scared the crap out of the racoon all the while my friend on the phone heard the whole thing and was ready call 911 thinking I was being axe murdered or something!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:47 AM

174 posts, read 570,379 times
Gotta love those raccoons! What a great story, lamishra!

We're just about to start year 3 of living in the woods outside of Pittsboro and, after 30 years of Chicago, we love it! We put up a fence for our dogs after they brought home a deer spine and our neighbor's garbage (yes, even on acreage, our dogs met the neighbors before we did).

If you can stand the noise, guinea hens are useful. They eat ticks and kill snakes. My honey caught Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever our first spring, so I can testify that ticks are more than just icky. And the guineas killed a copperhead out in the goat pen, so they are worth putting up with, IMO, even though they make a horrible racket. But we don't need an alarm (or a doorbell, for that matter).

We've also had one of our cats bring a large black snake into the kitchen (he was so proud, we were lees than thrilled) and a teen possum on the screen porch. It's never dull.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:53 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,310 times
I say go for it. You're renting so it it's not like you'd have to sell it if you decide you don't like it. You can just move at the end of the lease and that is the beauty of renting over buying. And it's not 6000 acres, just 6 so you're not going to be completely isolated from the rest of the world. There are snakes, ticks, raccoons, possums, deer and spiders here. We back up to a woodline (can see the neighbors' houses behind us) and I've still seen all these things in our neighborhood. Our neighbor's yard was being landscaped and the landscapers found 8 baby copperheads in their yard. We live in a neighborhood with 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots so they are out there. Just use common sense, take safety precautions, have an emergency plan in place and enjoy the peace and quiet! The kids will probably love it!

Old 12-20-2008, 01:37 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,520 times
You need more safety precautions living in LA than you'll ever need with a 6 acre plot of woods behind your house, not to say it wise to have them. Never heard of road rage or a drive by shooting in the woods!

Old 12-20-2008, 02:10 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
You need more safety precautions living in LA than you'll ever need with a 6 acre plot of woods behind your house, not to say it wise to have them. Never heard of road rage or a drive by shooting in the woods!
I have heard of homeowners or their pets shot by the stray bullet of hunters in the woods though. (Not common, but it does happen.)

Old 12-20-2008, 02:49 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,520 times
It could happen. As a matter of fact my utility cart has a bullet hole in it from a stray bullet, but then there are 2,000 or so acres of woods and overgrown fields behind my house. In adads case he has 6 acres of woods behind his. If that's anywhere near square it's roughly 525 feet per side and most states require hunting no less than minimum of 500 feet from any residence. If I were he I would drive to the other side of the woods and talk to residents of any homes back there and ask if they get hunters in those woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary