Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 22,318 times

Advertisements

I was just cited for doing 34 in a school zone of 25. Will this affect my insurance rates? If I go to court can I have that expunged from my record? It is my FIRST ticket after 45 years of driving. I'm with GEICO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:51 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,535 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvascellaro View Post
I was just cited for doing 34 in a school zone of 25. Will this affect my insurance rates? If I go to court can I have that expunged from my record? It is my FIRST ticket after 45 years of driving. I'm with GEICO
yes this will add points to your record and deservedly so. you will not be able to plea this down. all schools zones are clearly marked.NC does not play when it comes to this. i am glad they don't.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:55 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,093 times
Unless you fight the ticket and/or have it reduced (and it doesn't sound like you have grounds to or you might have mentioned them), yes, your insurance will be affected for being the scourge of the school zone

Old 12-19-2008, 08:14 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
I don't know if it's true with school zone speeding, but you should normally be getting about a dozen letters from law offices fighting for your business to have them represent you in court. I would definitely consider this under normal circumstances, and if the price is still right (say under 300-400), doing so even with a school zone speeding ticket. I had my charge dropped for 60 in a 45, for a $200 fee including court costs.

You can try the "prayer for mercy" or whatever it's called, but they suggest you only try that under a DUI conviction, because if you get caught again within a couple of years speeding or ANYTHING, you're getting the full penalty guaranteed.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:18 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
yer gonna get hit. You may be able to get it reduced or get a prayer for judgement. Speeding in a School Zone is 3 points... in some cases adding 200.00-400.00 evey six months to insurance costs.

It is an expense.... but it could be worse.... you could have the heartache of knowing you hit some kid....

Old 12-19-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
yer gonna get hit. You may be able to get it reduced or get a prayer for judgement. Speeding in a School Zone is 3 points... in some cases adding 200.00-400.00 evey six months to insurance costs.

It is an expense.... but it could be worse.... you could have the heartache of knowing you hit some kid....
That's right, "prayer for judgment", thanks!

Actually, that's not a bad idea if the OP is strapped for cash (who isn't in this economy right?) and can be a safety nazi for the next couple of years and always go at the speed limit or below, to avoid getting the book thrown at them next time 'round. I don't know how effective a lawyer is for speeding zone violations.

So, game plan: wait for the law office letters to pour in, call a couple that offer the cheapest representation or ask around on who is your local Perry Mason. They charge nothing to just talk over the phone. Then, weigh your options accordingly against prayer for judgment, which should be the thing you do when you've exhausted all other options.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:31 AM

18,091 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I got one a couple months ago. Also my first moving violation ever in 40+ years of driving.

1. Get a traffic attorney, absolutely.
2. Attorney will plead a PFJ, which yes, you DO want.
3. Attorney may have you proactively do 15 hrs of community service for any nonprofit (mine suggested this, which I did).
4. Attorney *knows* which judges are more inclined to accept a PFJ + community service + paying fee = zero points on your record and zero pts on insurance record so they will continue your case until they can get a hearing in front of one of those judges.
5. Attorney will fully represent you--you will not have to go to court at all.

For me it was the right way to go since I had no idea that there were suggested ways to deal with this very issue. If you want the name of the attorney that was recommended to me and who I used, send me a PM.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I got one a couple months ago. Also my first moving violation ever in 40+ years of driving.

1. Get a traffic attorney, absolutely.
2. Attorney will plead a PFJ, which yes, you DO want.
3. Attorney may have you proactively do 15 hrs of community service for any nonprofit (mine suggested this, which I did).
4. Attorney *knows* which judges are more inclined to accept a PFJ + community service + paying fee = zero points on your record and zero pts on insurance record so they will continue your case until they can get a hearing in front of one of those judges.
5. Attorney will fully represent you--you will not have to go to court at all.

For me it was the right way to go since I had no idea that there were suggested ways to deal with this very issue. If you want the name of the attorney that was recommended to me and who I used, send me a PM.
On point #2, are you suggesting a PFJ because it was a school zone? For a regular speeding ticket, several friends of mine who have lived here all their lives and had enough tickets to know the system have recommended NOT doing this as it's your analogous "get out of jail free card" and you only use it for a major violation, since you're scrutinized for any future violation within x years.

I forgot to mention the not going to court part. Small price to pay for an attorney if you are paid hourly or value your vacation days enough to avoid using them and sit in court all day.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
keep in mind you not only get points on your insurance but points against your license

Old 12-19-2008, 09:27 AM

447 posts, read 1,718,475 times
If you don't break the law you don't need your PJ, I used mine for a ticket a few years ago. It is not a big deal, hopefully you learn your lesson and you will not have need for it again.

Suggesting you save it for DUI is reckless, IMHO anyone driving drunk needs to go to jail or pay out the wazoo. I say this as someone that has done it and admits it was stupid and I am glad I was never caught.

I would use a lawyer and they will get you out of the penalties.

I get tailgaters and passed everyday in a school zone that I slow down for but others ignore. Slow down and enjoy causing others to get annoyed, it is great revenge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary