U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 05:24 PM

316 posts, read 663,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPage View Post
It's JohnsTon county people (NotSerge) with a "T" not Johnson county. If ya' gonna disrespect it, at least say it right!
Bless you heart that you just can't overlook a typo. Your mama must be so happy you always grammatically perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 06:48 PM

574 posts, read 783,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
Just wanted to add that this issue is not specific to the triangle group. I live in Asheville (although I'm moving to Fuquay next month), but last year there was no Asheville group. So, I tried to join one that covered some of the counties next door, but I was told to wait until a group started in my county or start it myself. I think it's the policy of the overall mommies organization to do things this way, not just the local triangle group.
Stop trying to take the wind out of someone's sails. It's well known the Triangle is clickish and that's why Claytonites are excluded.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:28 PM
.-.

157 posts, read 250,262 times
I guess the Quadrilateral just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:45 PM
LLN
Status: "If you keep looking back, you can't move forward" (set 29 days ago)

3,606 posts, read 4,460,046 times
Just one more reason I am prayerfully glad I am a male.

lln

Old 12-26-2008, 05:02 PM

850 posts, read 2,845,106 times
I was a member of said group and while I did find some of the information useful, my overall experience was less than positive. I personally wouldn't recommend that group to anyone anymore...I experienced all of backstapping, gossiping, clicks, etc. that go along with a big group of women firsthand, so in my opinion, she's not missing anything.

As far as the boundaries, I do agree that they should have them for obvious reasons, but, I think that if a person wants to join, then they should be allowed to. Your wife shouldn't be forced into a group that she doesn't want to be in. There are so many more activities in Raleigh and the surrounding areas than there are in Clayton, so if your wife wants to be a part of a group that has these events, then she should be able to. That just goes to show that this group doesn't care about the women, they care about themselves. They're serving their own agenda by trying to boost the Johnston Co. membership, plain and simple. I know there are members here who may beg to differ, but after my experience, I think your wife is better off. Tell her to check out Meetup.com. There are several moms groups in the area and she should be able to join any one she wants. IMO they're much more welcoming. I think a lot of it is because you don't have the online chatter back and forth so there's far less of an opportunity for the drama to come out.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:34 AM

49 posts, read 107,231 times
Where are you all getting your definition of the Triangle? I don't know that there is an official definition of the area, but according to Wikipedia, Clayton IS a part of the Triangle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tri...North_Carolina)
The Research Triangle, commonly referred to as "The Triangle", is a region in the Piedmont of North Carolina in the United States, anchored by the cities of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. The eight-county region, officially named the Raleigh-Durham-Cary CSA, comprises two Metropolitan and one Micropolitan Statistical Area: Raleigh-Cary and Durham-Chapel Hill metropolitan area. The region's population was 1,314,589 at the 2000 census.[1] The research universities of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina State University, and Duke University are located in this region. The "Triangle" name was cemented in the public consciousness in the 1950s with the creation of Research Triangle Park, home to numerous high-tech companies and enterprises. Although the name is now used to refer to the geographic region, "The Triangle" originally referred to the universities, whose research facilities, and the educated workforce they provide, have historically served as a major attraction for businesses located in the region.

Counties

[edit] Cities

The Triangle region, as defined for statistical purposes as the Raleigh-Durham-Cary CSA, comprises 8 counties, although the U.S. Census Bureau divided the region into 2 metropolitan statistical areas and 1 micropolitan area in 2003. Some local television networks define the region as Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville. Although Fayetteville, North Carolina, is nearly 50 miles (80 km) from Raleigh's city limits, it is in the designated market area.

[edit] Primary cities

[edit] Suburbs with more than 10,000 inhabitants

(end wiki quote)

While Johnston Co is certainly developing many resources, there is still a significant amount of "bleed" into Wake Co. A great deal of Johnston County tax dollars are being spent in Wake Co. So, yeah, Johnston County residents don't pay taxes to Wake County, but they certainly spend their money in the county...at restaurants, at sports and entertainment venues, at retail stores, etc... I don't think Wake Co is too eager to lose those dollars. Ya'll come back now, you hear...

Old 12-28-2008, 11:45 AM

26 posts, read 47,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton734 View Post
Where are you all getting your definition of the Triangle? I don't know that there is an official definition of the area, but according to Wikipedia, Clayton IS a part of the Triangle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tri...North_Carolina)
The Research Triangle, commonly referred to as "The Triangle", is a region in the Piedmont of North Carolina in the United States, anchored by the cities of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. The eight-county region, officially named the Raleigh-Durham-Cary CSA, comprises two Metropolitan and one Micropolitan Statistical Area: Raleigh-Cary and Durham-Chapel Hill metropolitan area. The region's population was 1,314,589 at the 2000 census.[1] The research universities of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina State University, and Duke University are located in this region. The "Triangle" name was cemented in the public consciousness in the 1950s with the creation of Research Triangle Park, home to numerous high-tech companies and enterprises. Although the name is now used to refer to the geographic region, "The Triangle" originally referred to the universities, whose research facilities, and the educated workforce they provide, have historically served as a major attraction for businesses located in the region.

Counties

[edit] Cities

The Triangle region, as defined for statistical purposes as the Raleigh-Durham-Cary CSA, comprises 8 counties, although the U.S. Census Bureau divided the region into 2 metropolitan statistical areas and 1 micropolitan area in 2003. Some local television networks define the region as Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville. Although Fayetteville, North Carolina, is nearly 50 miles (80 km) from Raleigh's city limits, it is in the designated market area.

[edit] Primary cities

[edit] Suburbs with more than 10,000 inhabitants

(end wiki quote)

While Johnston Co is certainly developing many resources, there is still a significant amount of "bleed" into Wake Co. A great deal of Johnston County tax dollars are being spent in Wake Co. So, yeah, Johnston County residents don't pay taxes to Wake County, but they certainly spend their money in the county...at restaurants, at sports and entertainment venues, at retail stores, etc... I don't think Wake Co is too eager to lose those dollars. Ya'll come back now, you hear...
In the source referenced, this is quoted - "The Triangle" originally referred to the universities, whose research facilities, and the educated workforce they provide, have historically served as a major attraction for businesses located in the region.

The original and real definition is NCSU to Duke to UNC. That makes a triangle and was the original definition. Everything after that is an add on for marketing purposes.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:48 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,758,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2CSV View Post
In the source referenced, this is quoted - "The Triangle" originally referred to the universities, whose research facilities, and the educated workforce they provide, have historically served as a major attraction for businesses located in the region.

The original and real definition is NCSU to Duke to UNC. That makes a triangle and was the original definition. Everything after that is an add on for marketing purposes.
Well, in that case, Cary wouldn't be a part of the "Triangle" either. Things change, and areas expand. Heck, DC now pretty much includes everything from Fredericksburg to the outskirts of Baltimore to Frederick.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:35 PM

134 posts, read 401,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Draw a line from NCSU to DUKE to UNC. That is basically what would be considered the real Triangle. Everyone else is just trying to ride on the coattails of the Triangle.

COAT TAILS????? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA I SHUN your "coattails".

Man am I glad we moved to Harnett county! With attitudes like this, who needs you? I am glad you aren't MY neighbor!!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:20 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,959,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
I don't get it. If you are willing to drive to them, why does it matter?
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary