U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,251 times
I know this post is old now, but maybe people are still finding it, like I did.

Are people forgetting that the OP said they bought a NINE POUND roast? That is a big chunk of meat, and at $101 it is about $11 per pound, which is good for a decent quality prime rib.

I am not sure I would trust a $7/lb prime rib, but maybe I shop at WF too much and have become blind to the prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 05:46 PM

6,056 posts, read 8,543,217 times
I keep reading that grocery prices are going to skyrocket.

I just finished off $5 worth of fresh cherries -- it was one pound, on sale, and it consisted of one big bowl.

And then I read this thread about prime rib prices -- from nearly three years ago. It surprised me because I buy prime rib at restaurants about twice a year but don't ever have it at home.

Egads. It seems prices have already shot up! I can't imagine them getting higher. I'm glad I like pasta, rice, and beans.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:50 PM

2,259 posts, read 3,690,670 times
The best time to buy prime rib roast is just before Christmas. Fresh Market usually puts theirs on sale for $6.99/lb. (down from $9.99/lb.). I bought one for Christmas 2009 and it was wonderful.

Don't forget to save the bones to make beef broth. With the size you have, you can make a big batch to freeze.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,408,830 times
I smoked mine on the Weber Smokey Mountain until it was 130 internal temp. Then I put it in a cooler for an hour and slice and serve.

I paid 7 bux at Harris Teeter. And it's a standing rib roast. I don't think I have ever seen prime rib for sale at the super market.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:10 PM

699 posts, read 666,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
You can find it cheaper at Costco...but yeah, that is par for Whole Foods. You are pretty much guaranteed a great cut of meat there though.
Second on Costco. They had a bunch recently just before New Year's and I think it was in the $7/lb range. Looked like some good stuff.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Status: "Never have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." (set 6 days ago)

22,725 posts, read 14,320,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I keep reading that grocery prices are going to skyrocket.

I just finished off $5 worth of fresh cherries -- it was one pound, on sale, and it consisted of one big bowl.

And then I read this thread about prime rib prices -- from nearly three years ago. It surprised me because I buy prime rib at restaurants about twice a year but don't ever have it at home.

Egads. It seems prices have already shot up! I can't imagine them getting higher. I'm glad I like pasta, rice, and beans.
I love cherries but I refuse to pay that much for them. And blueberries are expensive too.

I've decided, Whatever I pay for a deer fence this spring will be worth it if I can grow my own veggies with all this talk of sky high food costs. And they say profit margins for most grocery stores are minimal. And farmers aren't getting rich...so where does all this money go? transportation costs, middlemen

Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 PM

784 posts, read 1,464,606 times
Not too much, compared to OmahaSteaks:
Rib Roast | Prime Rib Roast | Boneless Rib Roast | Omaha Steaks

$160 !

Old 03-29-2014, 10:15 AM

7 posts, read 2,956 times
Maybe we can all go in on this at Costco:

Japanese Wagyu Ribeye A-5 Grade Your Price$1,499.99
Item #818183
Features:
Authentic Japanese Wagyu Kobe Beef, A-5 Graded, Ships Fresh, Not Frozen
$136.37 per pound

Old 03-29-2014, 11:21 AM

6,369 posts, read 5,715,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamblis View Post
Maybe we can all go in on this at Costco:
Japanese Wagyu Ribeye A-5 Grade Your Price$1,499.99
Item #818183
That's the kind where they give cattle beer to drink and massages to relax them. Not for me thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary