Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2007, 03:15 PM

156 posts, read 920,217 times

Advertisements

I am moving from NY and wanted to be in walking distance to restaurant's ect.. Being single, I am not interested in being tucked away in a secluded family neighborhood... I am surprised at the prices per sq foot.. I wanted to spend 250-350 and I only seem to get one bed one bath..

Any other solutions out there? I love the new RBC building, but the taxes and the maintence will out price me...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 03:23 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
Why they're so high? Greedy developers. Seriously though, I guess supply hasn't caught up with demand yet.

Does it have to be a high-rise? There are several mid-rises in downtown with condo units in your price range with 2 or more bedrooms.
Just doing a quick search, I see the following with units for sale in your price range and 2+ bedrooms: Park Devereaux, The Hudson, Palladium Plaza, Boylan Condos, Governors Point, Ellington Place, Velvet Cloak.
And there's probably more, not counting those under construction.

In addition, there are numerous neighborhoods in and around downtown with single-family houses and townhouses in that price range.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Why they're so high? Greedy developers. Seriously though, I guess supply hasn't caught up with demand yet.

Does it have to be a high-rise? There are several mid-rises in downtown with condo units in your price range with 2 or more bedrooms.
Just doing a quick search, I see the following with units for sale in your price range and 2+ bedrooms: Park Devereaux, The Hudson, Palladium Plaza, Governors Point, Velvet Cloak.
And there's probably more, not counting those under construction.

In addition, there are numerous neighborhoods in and around downtown with single-family houses and townhouses in that price range.

Good luck!
Thanks RR.. I have looked at some of them.. I forgot to tell you I wanted a pool..LOL.. I know, you can't have it all..Palladium Plaza is nice... I am visiting in April... I just wish I had more money!!

Old 03-03-2007, 04:09 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORIA.1 View Post
I am moving from NY and wanted to be in walking distance to restaurant's ect.. Being single, I am not interested in being tucked away in a secluded family neighborhood... I am surprised at the prices per sq foot.. I wanted to spend 250-350 and I only seem to get one bed one bath..

Any other solutions out there? I love the new RBC building, but the taxes and the maintence will out price me...

Thanks

This is a question I have often asked myself! I love Downtown Raleigh but I think the prices of the new hi-rise condos is overblown at this time. I think they are awesome looking, but I just don't see how they get people to fork over gobs of money for them at this point in time. I'm sure they will appreciate nicley as downtown continues to see more redevelopment activity, but I agree that the idea of getting in "on the ground floor" seems to have been put out of reach for your average working person.

RaleighRob has great suggestions on alternatives that I think are a much better value.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:13 PM

Thank you both.. I really appreciate the input..

What do you all think about going to Chapel-Hill? Is that like a small town Raleigh? I know this question sounds funny, but I am reaching for a solution..

Thanks..

Old 03-03-2007, 06:17 PM

177 posts, read 847,442 times
Quote:
I forgot to tell you I wanted a pool.
When I moved to Atlanta from NYC I, too, thought a pool would be a great idea. I can honestly say that in the 9 years I lived there I visited my apartment's/condo's pool a total of less than 12 times. When you don't have it, you want it. When you have it, you don't use it. Kinda like half of the kitchen gadgets I've amassed over the years :-)

eileen

Old 03-03-2007, 07:27 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
Quote:
Thank you both.. I really appreciate the input..

What do you all think about going to Chapel-Hill? Is that like a small town Raleigh? I know this question sounds funny, but I am reaching for a solution..

Thanks..
Well, it's another of the three corners of the Triangle. Since it is smaller, it has way fewer downtown/urban condos though. And prices there are actually higher, due to high demand vs less land.

If you want something a bit cheaper than downtown Raleigh's condos, try taking a look at downtown Durham's. A little more for the money, and many of them are in renovated warehouses. Alas, though, no pool on hardly any of them I believe.

The Paramount is another one with a pool..but I have a feeling that getting a 2-bed there will put you over the 350 mark. I guess you just have to figure out which you need more...the second bedroom or the pool. The thing is, I'd go for the 2nd bedroom...there's plenty of public pools, Y's, and even some gym/health clubs with pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary