U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 02:53 PM

161 posts, read 498,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
I'm not a Realtor or even a resident yet. But regarding property taxes it's my understanding that the Raleigh area does not tax on market price but on assessments which are usually thousands less than market price. So your $300K house is only taxes on an assessement of $210K or so which brings the actual real estate taxes down by a significant amount.

However, it's also my understanding that all assessments are scheduled for review in 2008 so who knows what they'll be.

Hopefully it doesn't follow trends in NY where my taxes went from $3800 to nearly $6K in a matter of years due to crafty reassessments from partial assessments, to full assessments, to full market values in addition to increased tax rates.
There is a reassessment to be done in 2008 but for those who have purchased new homes (Many) they are probably near the proper value. This will affect the resales and older homes a bit more. Older homes around here are 10-15 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 04:18 PM

43 posts, read 139,991 times
Thanks for all the responses ! These are all excellent info. Being a new member here for 2 days, I already love this forum.

NC is surely more expensive to live than the NH. And if we take the housing out of the picture, it may be more expensive than MA/NY/NJ too (but I may be wrong). In NH, I can buy cars without paying sales tax and saves thousands of dollars. There is no state income tax so I saves thousands of dollars every year. These savings are more than enough to pay for the difference in property tax comparing to NC. The housing price in NH is comparable to the NC.

People also says New England area has a higher avg. salary than the South. My company pays about $5K to $12K less for the same position comparing between MA/NJ/NH/RI and NC area !

So I guess it is not making sense to move from NH to NC if I want to save more money by doing the same job. But in terms of weather, NC is much nicer than New England if you are not a ski lover, or don’t want to stay indoor most of the winter (like the cold winter this year).

I also guess some of the people are moving form the North to the South because of expensive housing in their area. With the rapid increase in house prices at NC along with these expensive taxes, I think this moving trend will be stopping soon. It won’t surprise me that many of the people that moved to the South may be starting migration back to the North within the next 10 years. Does anyone see that ??

Could someone tell me about the car and home insurance too ? Is there a big deductible or premium for the wind damage ?

Thanks again for the info, it helps me a lot.

Regards,
Northerner9

Last edited by northerner9; 03-04-2007 at 04:26 PM..

Old 03-04-2007, 04:55 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,394,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerner9 View Post
Thanks for all the responses ! These are all excellent info. Being a new member here for 2 days, I already love this forum.

NC is surely more expensive to live than the NH. And if we take the housing out of the picture, it may be more expensive than MA/NY/NJ too (but I may be wrong). In NH, I can buy cars without paying sales tax and saves thousands of dollars. There is no state income tax so I saves thousands of dollars every year. These savings are more than enough to pay for the difference in property tax comparing to NC. The housing price in NH is comparable to the NC.

People also says New England area has a higher avg. salary than the South. My company pays about $5K to $12K less for the same position comparing between MA/NJ/NH/RI and NC area !

So I guess it is not making sense to move from NH to NC if I want to save more money by doing the same job. But in terms of weather, NC is much nicer than New England if you are not a ski lover, or donít want to stay indoor most of the winter (like the cold winter this year).

I also guess some of the people are moving form the North to the South because of expensive housing in their area. With the rapid increase in house prices at NC along with these expensive taxes, I think this moving trend will be stopping soon. It wonít surprise me that many of the people that moved to the South may be starting migration back to the North within the next 10 years. Does anyone see that ??

Could someone tell me about the car and home insurance too ? Is there a big deductible or premium for the wind damage ?

Thanks again for the info, it helps me a lot.

Regards,
Northerner9
Well... to be honest, I think your argument depends on the assumption that people are only motivated by living as inexpensive (tax/housing/etc.) an existence as possible. There are more people that choose to live in metro Boston, with all the tax costs of Mass., than in the entire state of N.H. My wife, born and raised in Milford NH, loved growing up there but has no interest in returning, even if it were cheaper in terms of housing or tax costs. If we ever returned to New England, it'd be to Boston, Cambridge, or Newton... not Merrimack, Bedford or Mount Vernon.

I disagree that the housing prices are comparable between the two. If you're living in a really rural area.. maybe. But in the Nashua-Manchester-Concord axis, you're going to be paying more for the same quality housing stock (or paying the same for a lower-quality house.) My brother-in-law paid the same for a rickety, falling-apart house in Hillsboro NH as we paid for a much cuter, better-maintained house in one of the nicest neighborhoods in Durham.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:01 PM

9,074 posts, read 18,633,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerner9 View Post
With the rapid increase in house prices at NC along with these expensive taxes, I think this moving trend will be stopping soon.
I haven't noticed a rapid increase increase in home prices here in NC. Apprecitaion seems to be fairly stable and consistant...not very rapid at all.

Quote:
It wonít surprise me that many of the people that moved to the South may be starting migration back to the North within the next 10 years. Does anyone see that ??
I have heard this statement before but have yet to here an explanation as to why this would ever be the case. Almost every person I have met who moved here is very happy and either plans to stay or is following their job as their career advances which may lead them to later transfer anywhere in the US. I don't know of any changing situation here in NC that is causing people to move back to where they came from.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:44 PM

43 posts, read 139,991 times
I am sorry that I made wrong judgement. I read some posts here that said the cost of houses increased by as much as $20k in last 12 months.... so I am just using this rate to judge. If this is not, I am happy to know that. I am not a city guy, I enjoy the quiet small town more, but not too far from the town (like 30min. to 45 min. away).

Any one know the car and house insurance rate around Raleigh ? This is also one of my moving consideration. Right now I am paying $1650 for my two 4-year old cars (Mazda Protege and Toyota Highlander). And I pay $650 for my 1650sqft house.

Many thanks again.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:02 PM

770 posts, read 2,624,751 times
The income tax rates are going to go down only for the high bracket tax payers,in Jan 2008 the high tax bracket will see a .25% decrease...what about us middle class??? Doesn't it seem like we are being squeezed bone dry?

Old 05-22-2007, 10:36 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,658,938 times
Hazard is pretty cheap in NC, I'm not as confident to speak on cars.
There are too many variables involved in insurance to quote specifically a rate, as in how much coverage, property type, what your credit is like, and all that. Check with Farm Bureau, they've been consistantly the cheapest on prices for Hazard we've needed to find for people.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:18 AM

394 posts, read 1,505,243 times
Don't forget about county vehicle tax! Our taxes (yearly) on our vehicles were somewhere around $250/year when new (VW Passat wagon..."cheapest" version; and Toyota Tacoma 4 door). When we left, the taxes had gone down to around $150 per vehicle (since its based on value of the car). I assume this is state wide, I know Nash and Wilson Co. had them.

Our insurance for these two vehicles was around $1500 yearly (about best insurance coverage, we both have good histories). We just moved to PA, and our rate is around $1000.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:38 AM

10,283 posts, read 10,653,488 times
Interesting note: I heard just yesterday on the news that NC is considering legislation that would make it illegal for out-of-staters to claim residency in NC for the purpose of obtaining cheaper car insurance, which reportedly many people are doing.

That would lead one to the conclusion that insurance rates in NC are lower than some other states.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:31 AM

770 posts, read 2,624,751 times
When I moved from northern NY to Charlotte, NC my car insurance did go down. However, when I moved out of Charlotte to MD my car insurance remained the same. So it may be cheap, but not extremely cheap. It is definitely cheaper then NJ, NYC, CT, MA...for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary