U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2008, 06:04 PM

5 posts, read 14,913 times

Advertisements

What are your opinions of it? Is it a diverse area? Is it a good place for a young african american couple to move? Do they have a wide variety of job oppurtunities? Do they have nice shopping areas and restaurants? What is the price range between renting an apartment? What apartment complexes are nice, safe, and affordable? And any other information you can offer about the triangle area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 06:18 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,819,942 times
This is such a HUGE area. There are probably thousands of nice, safe apartments to live in when you consider the entire triangle area. The price is going to vary depending on what toen you choose and what size aot you are looking for. I'd probably crunch some numbers nad see what you think you can afford in rent and then move from there. I think there is plenty of nice shopping (both regular and high end shopping), plenty of nice dining and I would consider the majority of the triangle pretty diverse.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:37 PM

2,592 posts, read 4,787,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissT247 View Post
Do they have a wide variety of job oppurtunities?
That depends entirely on what kinds of job opportunities you're looking for. At the risk of starting yet another endless thread about whether the local economy is good or bad, I will say that quite a few big employers in the area have had or are planning layoffs (January has potential to be bad).

That said, certain fields are still strong. But don't think this is the land of milk & honey with regard to jobs. Maybe better than where you are; maybe not. I wouldn't advise coming down here unless you have a livable job lined up before you move.

Use the search feature on this site to look for the word "jobs" or "economy" in this forum. More than you'll ever want to read.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:39 PM

31,636 posts, read 55,362,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
That depends entirely on what kinds of job opportunities you're looking for. At the risk of starting yet another endless thread about whether the local economy is good or bad, I will say that quite a few big employers in the area have had or are planning layoffs (January has potential to be bad).

That said, certain fields are still strong. But don't think this is the land of milk & honey with regard to jobs. Maybe better than where you are; maybe not. I wouldn't advise coming down here unless you have a livable job lined up before you move.

Use the search feature on this site to look for the word "jobs" or "economy" in this forum. More than you'll ever want to read.
The OP indicates in another thread that she is an RN.
Likely one of the better fields to be in, IMO.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:45 PM

2,813 posts, read 6,450,354 times
Let me take your questions one at a time.

Opinions? Many.
Diverse? Widely
Race? Its a good area for all young singles and couple. Its race neutral IMHO.
Shopping? Same that Jersey has to offer give or take a few named Grocery stores.
Restaurants? See Shopping answer.
Apartments? Many big and small. $500 to $5000 per month. Just have to pick one.
Raleigh area? Its not New Jersey. It is not utopia either.
Better weather.
Lower Taxes.
Worse Public Schools.
Better cost of living.
Cheaper houses
Cleaner air and soil.
Cleaner water.
Crime is a push as its everywhere.

It is certainly worth a look and see as it has lots to offer for some while other can take or leave it. Good luck with your search!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:08 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,498,278 times
Very diverse in my part of town, and, having the misfortune to have once lived in Edison Township, much more civilized than Jersey.

I've been in my apt 4 years. See what you get for the rent:

Supersized Living in North Raleigh - Northridge Crossings

Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,244,745 times
Very Diverse. Where are you coming from? I come from Clark NJ which is not very, but we now live in SW Durham. We lived in Cary for 6 years before moving to SW Durham.

As I have recommended before, I would find a job first and then decide where to live. If you are a RN, then recommendation might be different if you had a job with UNC, Duke, Rex, etc.

When I moved here 8 years ago we started in this apartment complex ->
Find Durham apartments and homes for rent in the RESEARCH TRIANGLE area at Bridges at Southpoint. (http://www.bridgesatsouthpoint.com/s/homepage - broken link)

It was called something else back then (Sterling Forest I believe), but it was there before the mall came in.

At any rate, I wish you luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary