Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,652 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother looking to move to Raleigh, NC. Can anyone tell me what the job market and schools are like there? Also, what are some nice areas to move to? I am a family oriented person, so I would like to move somewhere where my children and I can all enjoy. Any advice is welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 03:56 AM

299 posts, read 634,309 times
What field are you looking for employment in? As everywhere these days, what you do will make a difference in the availability of jobs. I've found Holly Springs where we live to be very much family oriented and within 15 minutes of almost everything I need or want on a regular basis. When I first started reading these forums, some posters talked about how far away certain areas are but when you have to get in your car to go almost anywhere, 5 to 10 minutes doesn't mean much to me. I also don't think the traffic is anywhere near as bad as what I encountered in Phila. area but it also depends on what you'll be comparing it to. My youngest is starting at UNC next year so we haven't had much experience with schools having been here for just about 9 months now.

There is a lot of good information on this forum. If you'd like some links for housing, just PM me and I'll be happy to send them to you. I still have them bookmarked from when we were looking for a home.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:20 AM

134 posts, read 548,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da1toknow View Post
I am a single mother looking to move to Raleigh, NC. Can anyone tell me what the job market and schools are like there? Also, what are some nice areas to move to? I am a family oriented person, so I would like to move somewhere where my children and I can all enjoy. Any advice is welcomed.

HEH, we moved from Milwaukee... .well actually Waukesha. Please feel free to personal message me.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:52 AM

208 posts, read 632,542 times
Cary and Holly Springs are nice, family-oriented places and have good schools. HS is a little further out, though, but is a little cheaper. The job market depends on what field you are in. Good luck.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 AM

6 posts, read 14,675 times
Default Housing in Durham NC and surroundings

When I moved here from NY in the 1970's I was one of few Northerners....now the tide has turned and the secret of life in Durham North Carolina has leaked out. Recently the population has exploded and folks from the many northern cities have discovered the quality of life in North Carolina is so much better in many ways than where they came from. I love my hometown of Buffalo NY mind you, but would not want to live there given the weather and the economic struggles. Weather in Durham is mild and the economy and housing market are still relatively strong. Unemployment is low and the educational and professional opportunities are exceptional. Duke University and Duke Medical Center are in Durham and the majority of the Research Triangle Park is also in Durham. We have the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC Central in Durham and NC State in Raleigh. Many major employers including IBM, Merck, SAS, GSK, and others too numerous to list, are located at RTP. This area is home to more PHD's per capita than anywhere. Thinking of relocating ??? Look at the Durham area of North Carolina.

Last edited by mm34b; 12-28-2008 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Edited to comply with Terms of Service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary