Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:39 AM

112 posts, read 630,177 times

Advertisements

We are visiting there next week. I contacted a realtor I found online. I didn't get a response for two days after I sent my first email, and a couple emails after that (talking about different listings we were interested in), it took her at least two days for her to get back to me. The last three emails I sent to her, she has not responded at all...and it's been a week. She did send us a relocationg package, and has set aside time for us for when we come there to show us properties (which specific ones, I'm not quite sure...since she hasn't gotten back with me about our favorite listings). I kind of feel bad about finding someone else (since she already set aside the time), but at the same time, if she is not even good about responding to emails, perhaps that's not a good sign? I don't know what to do. Any thoughts? Am I expecting too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 08:43 AM

124 posts, read 168,368 times
Ok, you are being wayyyyy too nice! YES, find someone else, NOW! She works for YOU. And she is falling down on the job all ready! If you have not signed anything with her you must find someone new. Don't feel bad, business is business. I did the same thing last year. Was she happy about it? No. Was that my problem? No. Hopefully she learned a lesson about how to treat future clients by losing one. Good luck....and always look out for YOU first!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:47 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I'm a Realtor. Not the one you contacted and please understand that I am writing because I genuinely want you to understand how working with a Realtor is beneficial to YOU.

I am busy next week so I can't help you so to the other agents out there...I am not looking to take any clients away from you.

Working with any Realtor means you will spend alot of time together. You want someone who is knowledgable about the area. You want someone who has your best interests at heart. Its a team effort. You both have the same goals. You have to trust your agent and she has to trust that you are going to be loyal to her. An agent can be beneficial on so many things. She should know the area, know the school system, know why some areas are more desireable than others, understand the loan process, know Home Inspectors, know attorneys, and so much more.

Too many agents do not love their jobs. Too many are in it because someone told them it was an EASY way to make lots of money. Too many of them think once they have a client, the client just doesn't know any better and will not walk away.

I'm telling you this...if you already have doubts about your agent...NOW is the time to find another. This is a MAJOR purchase you are about to make. You have enough anxiety and stress without feeling that your agent isn't going to make this easier for you.

Vicki

Old 03-14-2007, 08:58 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,808 times
If you do her the courteousy of giving her advance notice that you will not be meeting with her that should be enough. It would be rude not to break the appointment. Obviously she is a busy Realtor and that's nice, but you need someone who can take the time to help you. And, there are lots of Realtors out there that would be more than happy. Let your Realtor know what homes you are specifically interested in and what information you're looking for. The more info she has about you, your lifestyle, your family, your preferences, etc., the better job she can do for you.

Good luck.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:30 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
I'd find another realtor - if you are going to be working with someone long distance, you want someone who is responsive. My realtor would usually respond to me the same day, or first thing in the morning if she had been out of the office the day before.

You want to be 100% comfortable with the person you are working with!

Old 03-14-2007, 09:39 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I'm with the previous posts .... if you haven't signed an agreement with this realtor I would cancel the appointment with her and start interviewing other realtors. I would talk to at least a couple before settling on anyone. This is a big investment for you and you need to be working with someone who has your best interests in mind ..... realtors have multiple clients, but taking days to respond to a client is unacceptable in my book. Hopefully some people on this board will PM you with referrals. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2007, 10:15 AM

41 posts, read 184,734 times
I agree with everyone else...when we relocated, we didn't really like our realtor, but didn't have a lot of time to "shop around" for someone that we really liked. It ended up hurting us a lot in the long run - we didn't look in areas of the Triangle that would have probably been better for us to live, and she showed us the house that we wanted to buy and by that point, it was too late to find another realtor. Also, she gave us really bad advice on what to offer, and was unprofessional at times once we were in contract (forgot to send someone to our inspection since she couldn't be there, etc.)
I really wish we would've found someone that was better for us, because they're out there! Find someone you love - you'll be so much happier!

Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 AM

134 posts, read 549,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rieboots View Post
We are visiting there next week. I contacted a realtor I found online. I didn't get a response for two days after I sent my first email, and a couple emails after that (talking about different listings we were interested in), it took her at least two days for her to get back to me. The last three emails I sent to her, she has not responded at all...and it's been a week. She did send us a relocationg package, and has set aside time for us for when we come there to show us properties (which specific ones, I'm not quite sure...since she hasn't gotten back with me about our favorite listings). I kind of feel bad about finding someone else (since she already set aside the time), but at the same time, if she is not even good about responding to emails, perhaps that's not a good sign? I don't know what to do. Any thoughts? Am I expecting too much?
I ran into the same issue. I have found that most of the real estate people I have talked to do not have a clue and will not work for you. We ended up buying a house but told our real estate person to not come to the closing when she:
A) WE found the house.
B) Screwed up the contract
C) tried to get us to work with a mortgage guy that was 1.25% higher than what we ended up with
D) LEFT TOWN THE DAY BEFORE THE CLOSING!
E) Wanted to do the final walk through when we were at work (she even said that she will be there even if we are not!!!)

We told her not to come to the closing. She didnt. The sellers agent ended up helping us out. The good agent came from Keller Williams. Give them a try. Ask for Nil.

Do not use Linda Craft Remax! We had nothing but troubles.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:08 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
I am a broker, and I would say most definitely find someone else. This is one of the biggest purchases you will ever make in your life, you don't want to have a realtor who doesn't get back to you, believe me.

If you were that important to them, they would respond to you. There are a number of great brokers on this board, you have an excellent resource.

Leigh

Old 03-14-2007, 11:31 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default find another

I had the same type of issue, the realtor was way to slow with communication lagging days (this was even after I settled on a sub) and I also started seeing other "issues" with this person such as wanting to steer me to another builder who was willing to give more of a commision

I went alone with the deal out of frustration of working with this realtor but yes if you still want to use a realtor get another.

I also think if you are relocating and dont know the area, that a GOOD realtor will save you alot of time of running around in circles. I do understand that people relocating can cause a realtor to work the hardest but that comes with the job.

If you are being treated like this now, you will most likely have more issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary