Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMortgageGuy View Post
Disclaimer: I am shocked at all the poor advice i am reading so those you wrote it please don't take offense however your advice in some cases are plain awful. Post #9 on the previous page nails it.

It is completely unnecessary to throw money away by paying a lawyer for saving you less than 60 minutes of effort. There is standing in front of the judge necessary and going 7 mph over the speed limit is not considered reckless driving. You even have the option to attend your "hearing" at your convenience prior to your court date. Call your courthouse to confirm the dates/times then arrive at the courthouse (it is typically a 2-3 hour window in the early afternoon) with your photo ID on or prior to your scheduled court date. There will be a room for motor vehicle violations where you wait your turn in line and tell the officer (i can't think of the courthouse name of this person) you would like to have your ticket reduced to 9 mph over the limit. They will accept and walk you to the cashier. You will pay the cashier (in cash) and your insurance will not take a hit.

This is common procedure that takes less than an hour in most all cases. However if you feel like padding the wallets of blood sucking attorneys while paying them $300/hr then feel free to do so.......however in this case they will be doing nothing that you cannot do yourself.

Good Luck.
I'm shocked. I'm not a lawyer but I believe if someone is asking for legal advice, and you're not a lawyer, giving legal advice is not only reckless, but it is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 04:28 AM

310 posts, read 575,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
I'm shocked. I'm not a lawyer but I believe if someone is asking for legal advice, and you're not a lawyer, giving legal advice is not only reckless, but it is illegal.
If that is really the case then there are quite a few posts on city data that are illegal. Think about all the posts of people asking advice about what to do with their neighbors dog which moving survey stakes so that they could plant a tree to block their view of kids playing in the street.

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure, but I would think giving legal advice would only be illegal if you are representing yourself as a lawyer.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:49 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Fortunately the attorneys that do traffic cases charge way less than $300 an hour. Usually it's about $200-250 total including court costs and you already have to pay them anyway if you do it yourself. And yes you can often get the ticket reduced to 9 over. However, I would not try that with 21 over myself and it will take a few hours of your time.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Only if you charge or present yourself as an attorney.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
What's shocking, IMHO, is someone ASKING for legal advice on an internet forum full of strangers. But that's just me ..... <*shrug*>

Old 02-29-2012, 04:59 PM

263 posts, read 572,524 times
1) The advice received on an internet forum is worth every penny you paid for it.
2) He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 PM

114 posts, read 246,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdknw View Post
Get a lawyer, pay him to do his job and make it go away. If you don't, you have the initial fee's plus the increase in insurance. Do not use PJC (Prayer for justice continued) unless it is an absolute last resort.
K
not true. go to the court house and speak to them and they will drop it to 9mph over...$150 fine and off you go. Oh and they even have an ATM so you can give them the money. I know from experience

Old 03-02-2012, 05:44 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,694 times
You don't need a lawyer to get this taken care of. If you show up on your court date the ADA will almost certainly offer you a reduced penalty, you pay your fine and you're done.

What the lawyer will do for you is save you the time. It is no fun going to the courthouse. It's like the DMV on steroids; lines, people who no longer cast reflections in mirrors, all the deputies too fat for patrol duty and lots of unique smells. At the Durham courthouse all men have to completely remove their belts to go through the metal detectors. Not sure if Raleigh has this same crime preventing policy, but they did take my pocketknife.

Is it worth $250-300 to not have to deal with that? I'm more of a DIY guy, but I could be swayed.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:49 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
anything over 7 mph the speed limit
Are you serious? I'm definitely going to have to tame myself when driving in Raleigh then!

Old 03-02-2012, 06:41 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
You don't need a lawyer to get this taken care of. If you show up on your court date the ADA will almost certainly offer you a reduced penalty, you pay your fine and you're done.

What the lawyer will do for you is save you the time. It is no fun going to the courthouse. It's like the DMV on steroids; lines, people who no longer cast reflections in mirrors, all the deputies too fat for patrol duty and lots of unique smells. At the Durham courthouse all men have to completely remove their belts to go through the metal detectors. Not sure if Raleigh has this same crime preventing policy, but they did take my pocketknife.

Is it worth $250-300 to not have to deal with that? I'm more of a DIY guy, but I could be swayed.
Good summary overall, but I have two counterpoints. Since you have to pay court costs, which were $125 last I checked and probably more now, you are really only paying an additional $125-$175 to get a lawyer, which makes the payback better.

Second, I still submit you would be crazy to try to deal with 21 over by yourself. 15 or so, I can see them working with you to get 9 over, but over 20 and they are going to be much less cooperative.

Also, they don't do this in Wake County any more but in some jurisdictions, they will let you plead to Improper Equipment which won't count at all on your insurance. It's much easier for a lawyer to get this for you than doing it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary