Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:16 PM

39 posts, read 106,480 times

Advertisements

This is a new subdivision with a lot of inventory homes.But the lot size bothers me. But they are truly custom homes and i liked the quality.But i am new to this area and hence do not know the effect of a small lot from
1. A living perspective.
2. Re-sale.

Being a first time home buyer,i do not know how this can affect daily lifestyle.
Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewldude View Post
This is a new subdivision with a lot of inventory homes.But the lot size bothers me. But they are truly custom homes and i liked the quality.But i am new to this area and hence do not know the effect of a small lot from
1. A living perspective.
2. Re-sale.

Being a first time home buyer,i do not know how this can affect daily lifestyle.
Any thoughts?
Small lots are hugely popular, as people willingly trade for housing style rather than connection with the earth. Resale shouldn't be a huge issue unless consumer tastes shift at an inopportune time for you.

Lifestyle? Well, if one may ask, how do you live? Do you want a 1/4 acre vegetable garden? Or a large play area? Etc? If you require more space, something among house, lot, cost, or location will be compromised.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
Are small lots really the "in" thing right now? That's the trend? Is that for a particular demographic or for the population in general? It's almost "sad" to me. Where do kids play? Inside all the time? In the street? I guess I'm old now but I've always wanted a house with a decent sized yard for kids to have when they are young just to play in with their friends. I realize there is a playgound in most neighborhoods now..but still.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:16 AM

513 posts, read 1,604,898 times
The back yard is fine...it is the side yards and front yards that are small.

Less yard = less work to maintain it

I have almost a half acre in Highcroft but will have an interstate behind me....the jets are louder than any highway that will exist. It doesnt bother me one bit as I have the only lot in the neighborhood that doesnt have a view of another house when standing on my deck.

Last edited by jshallen; 12-31-2008 at 07:31 AM..

Old 12-31-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Are small lots really the "in" thing right now? That's the trend? Is that for a particular demographic or for the population in general? It's almost "sad" to me. Where do kids play? Inside all the time? In the street? I guess I'm old now but I've always wanted a house with a decent sized yard for kids to have when they are young just to play in with their friends. I realize there is a playgound in most neighborhoods now..but still.
Lots have been decreasing in size for 20-25 years in this area.
The closer into the Heart of Cary or DT Raleigh, the more pronounced the trend.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:06 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,570 times
We are in Cary near Highcroft and have a larger lot .40 and my kids are hardly in the backyard at all to play. We are in a cul de sac, so they are playing in the front yard with friends. We also have a neighborhood pool and a park close by which we go to often in the spring and summer. I hate maintaining a larger lot and wish it was smaller. Water bills are also a killer in the summer.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 AM

39 posts, read 106,480 times
And how about the price. They r all in 400's..In 5 yrs will they be worth for someone to buy@430-450k?Even in places like Alferetta,GA(near atlanta) we get homes in 320K for 2900 sq ft..Cary for me is just a bubble waiting to be burst...I hope I am wrong.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
And how about the price. They r all in 400's..In 5 yrs will they be worth for someone to buy@430-450k?Even in places like Alferetta,GA(near atlanta) we get homes in 320K for 2900 sq ft..Cary for me is just a bubble waiting to be burst...I hope I am wrong.
5 years out is 100 years away...

Old 01-02-2009, 12:06 PM

11 posts, read 28,201 times
I also live in Highcroft and it did take about 6 months to get used to the close proximity of the houses. We are fortunate to live on a culdesac and back up to the school so there is no shortage of places for the kids to play. I can not say anything negative about the community or surrounding area as it is loaded with intelligent, active and friendly people. Several people in the area train for triatholons and there is some really nice biking and running paths.
Good luck, this area is a nice area especially if you work in RTP. My husband actually commutes to work by bike everyday to RTP.
Janine Lamb

Old 01-02-2009, 12:50 PM

513 posts, read 1,604,898 times
Quote:

the houses in highcroft and hv are built very well for the money/sqft. you are looking at $140-160/sf.

these houses itb or north of 540 off norwood will run you $180-200 /sf.

you are paying $100-125k for the lot vs $200k to 350k in the places mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary