Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 PM

6 posts, read 22,648 times

Advertisements

We'll be relocating to Raleigh from the Bronx, NY within the next 9 months to be nearer to family. Although I have visited many times over the last 15-20 years that family has lived there, I have never really branched out to see what was happening beyond my sister's or mom's homes. We usually just pop in for turkey or to show off grandbabies.

Anyway, we dropped the bombshell on my family this past thanksgiving that we are finally ready to make the move. I got around to Holly Springs and saw a few areas that were nice. I am coming again in January and need to narrow my search area because I will only be in town for a few days. I can visit again in the summer to research more, but for now, I want to concentrate on three areas. I want to explore possible subdivisions but see beyond the subdivisions too. I want to get a better feel for what these towns are really like in action.

Being close to RTP is important because ideally my husband will work there, so we don't want to be somewhere with an extremely long commute. I am hopeful to work from home.

My needs:
Best Possible Schools (kids are currently 1 year, 9 years and 11 years)
Affordable homes with decent size lots (under $450K, Lot size over .25 acre)
Established community or newer development, but somewhere where my kids can easily find playmates
Subdivision where your neighbors home isn't your house split in two
Communities that offer basement homes
Area with nearby shopping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 08:06 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
You have nearly too many choices to list, from a very wide price range and a wide age range.

You will find basement homes in a great many neighborhoods, and it is a matter of casting a net out and seeing what turns up.

I just pulled up basement homes, on over a 1/4 acre, in N Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, Apex, Holly Springs, and Northern Fuquay Varina, and got 107 results under $450,000. Now, some of the 107 are so far below the $450,000 they probably lack amenities that you desire. But there is a large selection.

Then it is a matter of picking schools.
I see a nice looking brickfront home in Umstead Ridge with Stough/Leesville Road/Leesville Road schools. I would take that school line-up, and it is at $375,000.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 PM

305 posts, read 713,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybsmith View Post
Can't make up my mind: North Raleigh, Apex, Cary, Wake Forest, Holly Springs or Morrisville
How about "None of the above"?

Old 01-01-2009, 07:42 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
Is your husband looking for work now in the area? That is important to start now if your thinking within the next 9 months. Really all of your area's have some great choices especially at your price point, it just depends what works for you and your family and where you do get that job.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:00 AM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
IMO - The northern half of Cary would be ideal for you. We love our NW Cary location and could not be happier anywhere in NC.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:14 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
I can tell you that of all the things on your list, a basement home @ $450K or under will be the thing that limits your selection the most. If you can consider a finished third floor as opposed to a basement you will open up your search quite a bit.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:07 AM

119 posts, read 354,786 times
Holly Springs is nice. It started out as a small town but they are building so many new things here. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a mall here in a few years at the rate they're going.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I can tell you that of all the things on your list, a basement home @ $450K or under will be the thing that limits your selection the most. If you can consider a finished third floor as opposed to a basement you will open up your search quite a bit.
This is very good advice! Basements are typically only available on slopping properties. And, even then, it's almost always a "walk-out" basement. Tradional basements are a needle in a haystack in the Triangle.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:15 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This is very good advice! Basements are typically only available on slopping properties. And, even then, it's almost always a "walk-out" basement. Tradional basements are a needle in a haystack in the Triangle.
I think it is just "OK Advice."

If one desires a basement, they are definitely available.
Often they are available on a culdesac lot, offering the level of privacy the OP seeks. Some "basement lots" are just really crummy steep lots, but many daylight/walkout basement homes are on actually very nice lots.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:41 PM

186 posts, read 659,425 times
I think the basement will be the most difficult to find. If you want to be close to RTP, I'd say Cary or Morrisville would be good choices. Cary would likely get you larger lots as Morrisville has newer developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary