Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:17 PM

200 posts, read 357,836 times

Advertisements

We (my hubby, me and 3 girls ages 5-10 years) moved here from Massachusetts back in 1989. We still do not regret it! BEST place to raise a family. And one note: our 10 year old daughter had the most difficult adjustment until she started school and got involved with sports and her church community. Now that she is almost 30 years old, married, travels a lot with her company: she STILL thinks that this is the best place to live and raise a family.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 05:59 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,101,928 times
My only regret is not having left NJ sooner. DH wanted to move down here right after 9-11. Took a whille to convince me. All five of us are glad to be here now.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:29 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,552,229 times
I have many clients that moved from the Northeast. Many from NY and NJ that love it. I moved many years ago from CT. and love this area, and wouldn't move back. Now if you have family left there I won't kid you about missing family which I did for at least 2 years. Everytime they would get together for picnics, birthdays and holidays that I couldn't be there made me very sad. I think I cried missing everyone for almost 2 years, but still wouldn't move back. Now you couldn't pay me to. I visit a few times a year and get my fix, but hate the long winters. Have you been for a visit yet? If not do that first for a few days and tour the area.

Good Luck with everything
Debbie

Old 01-02-2009, 07:05 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,140,929 times
not at all. nc has provided us a better quality of life. i do miss the family but i see them often enough. my family likes visiting us and thinks they are on vacation every time they come. they are very relaxed and have a great time here. i think we get more out of each visit since I do not see them all the time. each person will react differently . we have met so many nice people and feel if we we'd stay in the northeast we'd never meet any new people outside or niche.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 PM

20 posts, read 48,743 times
I'm so jealous! Just moved from Chapel Hill to Bucks County, PA to be closer to hubby's family and friends. And I'd move right back down to NC if I had a chance (we lived there for 5 years). I already miss going to the OUTSIDE playground with my kids in the winter, the indoor playground at Southpoint, Maple View Farms ice cream, light traffic, Harris Teeter, friendly neighbors, full green trees in the winter, Jordan Lake, and Cafe Carolina cupcakes. I say the family should all move to NC!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:44 AM

23 posts, read 43,347 times
Wow! Thanks for all of the great replies! I was wondering what the monthly bills are like in the RTP area. Such as electric, gas, water & sewer etc. Also the property taxes on a home around $400,000? Just trying to compare possible expenses to what we pay now. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:49 AM

82 posts, read 271,376 times
The only thing I miss about NY is the Mets and White Castle!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 9 days ago)

43,090 posts, read 76,670,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Wow! Thanks for all of the great replies! I was wondering what the monthly bills are like in the RTP area. Such as electric, gas, water & sewer etc. Also the property taxes on a home around $400,000? Just trying to compare possible expenses to what we pay now. Thanks!
General monthly bills are so subjective...

Property taxes on a $400,000 house will vary from county to county and among towns within a county. And if you only pay county taxes, due to not being in an incorporated town, that lowers the tax burden.
I think $2500--$4500 is a reasonable range.

The smaller towns have higher tax rates, economies of scale and all, but your housing purchase dollar may go farther, so that helps balance.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:59 AM

95 posts, read 223,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
there are a few things I miss - mostly friends and family, small independent bistros and restaurants, decent bagels, and holiday traditions like the Bristol Parade or the fireworks over the Charles.
I'm with you...I miss the small independent restaurants. They seem to be few and far between down here. Other than that, I'm loving it here!

Old 01-03-2009, 11:07 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,640,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nene817 View Post
I'm with you...I miss the small independent restaurants. They seem to be few and far between down here. Other than that, I'm loving it here!
You just haven't found them yet! There are plenty of non-chain restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary