Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crslnnr View Post
We moved here from a reasonable state without pet fees/taxes. After we found out that they track us by our vet visits, guess what we gave up? We religiously took our cats to the vet for yearly shots, check ups, etc. But not anymore. Not while we live in this ridiculous city. If the govt thinks that this fee is a good thing, they should think again. I'm willing to bet we're not the only ones avoiding vet visits and hoping our indoor kitties will stay healthy despite regular vet care. We spend an outrageous amount on toys, food, litter, and other things for our cats. All of the things we buy for them are already TAXED, so why are we being forced to pay an additional pet tax? It's bull. We can hardly wait to move next year so we can resume regular vet visits in a sane town. Our hope is that Durham removes this tax for those who remain here because if we are avoiding vet visits, then many many others are as well. And when that begins to compromise the health of the pets in this city, and in turn compromise the health of the citizens, the govt will be to blame.
"Tracking of vet visits"? How would the county even go about doing that? FYI, my wife is a veterinarian here in Durham and she has absolutely no knowledge of such a thing. Secondly, most cities or counties in this area have similar licensing fees, but Durham County is the only one that collects it through the tax office instead of through Animal Control, and that's mainly for efficiency. In fact, EVERY city I have ever lived in from Georgia to California had some sort of fee to license pets (at least for dogs).

If $10 a year per pet for an animal license is enough to deter you from regular pet care, then that's a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 12:51 PM

190 posts, read 1,075,423 times
Default me, being long-winded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
If $10 a year per pet for an animal license is enough to deter you from regular pet care, then that's a problem.
I agree... wow.... I have 3 dogs and 4 cats in my house (1 dog and 2 cats are my daughter's), all but one have come from shelters (as have most of my pets in my lifetime), and I don't mind paying the pet "tax" one bit. In fact, I think it is a good thing (bring on the flames....). When I lived in Michigan, I almost NEVER went to city hall to register my cats or dogs, it just 'seemed' like too much trouble. Hence, the city didn't get my money. Lousy excuse I know, but I do feel that I need to help pay for the services that pets require, and I was simply too lazy to do it.

My pets have always been up to date on Rabies and vaccinations (cats and dogs), cats and dogs are microchipped (from the Humane Society), and now the city gets a very small amount of money to help. It has been required in every state I have lived in, so it doesn't seem unusual to me (it just wasn't called a tax, it was 'registration' ). I recently got a cat from the Durham shelter, and for $95.00 the cat is spayed, vaccinated, microchipped, and I was 'checked out' to make sure I was appropriate to be a new 'mom'. I think I got an amazing 'deal', and I get years of joy as well. They rely almost solely on donations, so anything I can do to help them, I am happy to do.

I know my opinion may not be very popular, but really, it is only a little money, I pay taxes on everything else (even food), and this is just one more thing that I must pay if I want to experience the joy of being a pet owner... Heck, I pay tax on alcohol, groceries, cigarettes, my car, my house... and those don't give me near the joy of my pets (OK, maybe the occasional Margarita comes close....)! Cheers!!!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 06:32 AM

321 posts, read 1,576,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crslnnr View Post
We moved here from a reasonable state without pet fees/taxes. After we found out that they track us by our vet visits, guess what we gave up? We religiously took our cats to the vet for yearly shots, check ups, etc. But not anymore. Not while we live in this ridiculous city. If the govt thinks that this fee is a good thing, they should think again. I'm willing to bet we're not the only ones avoiding vet visits and hoping our indoor kitties will stay healthy despite regular vet care. We spend an outrageous amount on toys, food, litter, and other things for our cats. All of the things we buy for them are already TAXED, so why are we being forced to pay an additional pet tax? It's bull. We can hardly wait to move next year so we can resume regular vet visits in a sane town. Our hope is that Durham removes this tax for those who remain here because if we are avoiding vet visits, then many many others are as well. And when that begins to compromise the health of the pets in this city, and in turn compromise the health of the citizens, the govt will be to blame.
You know what, some people shouldn't have / don't deserve pets if you're willing to risk their health and safety for a measly $10. They've just changed the fee to a "tax" so that it can be enforced, as PPs have said. As a responsible pet owner I hate to see this. YOU are compromising the health of the "local citizens" and their pets by not going to the vets, not the local government. Enjoy the move, we will. One less irresponsible pet owner in Durham.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
I think it's great that you have to pay $75 if your pet is unaltered. If you can't afford to spay/neuter and pay a $10 tax, you can't really afford the pet and shouldn't have it.

Crslnnr - What vaccines does your pet need to be listed? Our pets have to be listed in Garner and they only track their rabies shots. I don't really understand why you would compromise the health of your pets to "get back at the man." That seems really childish.

Last edited by GarnerMama; 08-03-2009 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-03-2009, 02:54 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
I think it's great that you have to pay $75 if your pet is unaltered. If you can't afford to spay/neuter and pay a $10 tax, you can't really afford the pet and shouldn't have it.
Yeah you're right, it's probably better that the dog or cat just be put to sleep instead of in a loving home.

Yes that was sarcasm.

Sounds to me like it's not about "not being able to afford" the tax, it's the idea of paying the tax.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:08 PM

139 posts, read 260,575 times
Does anyone know if you can deduct this on your taxes similar to property tax?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM

423 posts, read 1,094,478 times
What bothers me most about the pet tax is in the county records it now has my name, my address, a photo of my house, my car, and now my pet's names and breeds. I really don't like ppl knowing I have "Fluffy" a bichon. I would much rather say I have "Killer" the <insert any big breed> dog.

The only solution I have found so far to avoid the public records is to use a vet in a different county. Right now Chatham isn't giving the records to Durham.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 AM

116 posts, read 366,688 times
I completely missed that section. I take a real quick glance at the form (since all my cars are tagged and nothing changed with my house). I did not see the pet section.

I wonder how many other people missed this?

How will this be billed? A separate bill? Part of the property tax?

(On a side note, I do have some issues with this being a "property tax". If is is a property tax, it should be taxed on worth. While my animals are priceless to me. If I had to go to court over the worth, they would probably be worthless. (just 2 mutts that I got from the shelter/rescue).

Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 AM

69 posts, read 172,641 times
I'll pay a pet tax when people have to start paying a kid tax to support the schools.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:48 AM

423 posts, read 1,094,478 times
My bill showed up one day by itself after the cat got her rabies vax. The vet's in Durham turn in the rabies records to the county and they tax it out from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary