Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM

6 posts, read 16,832 times

Advertisements

I have posted a recent thread with my questions and concerns with moving. I have had an overwhelming amount of replies and continue to get them. It is VERY much appreciated! It has helped me a lot on my search. I have even made some important contacts.

My question is what is the average pay for a property manager, assistant manager, and a leasing agent?

Also, I was up for a job here at the newspaper doing the ads and running the classifieds...positioning and setting the ads, all the stuff I like to do.

I had several interviews, from what I understood 3 of the people responsible for the final decision. I had two routing for me and in the end the owners son made the final call.

I recieved a letter saying I had every qualification and the personality they were looking for in their work environment but decided to hire someone with more "office" experience.

The other person up for the job had no experience creating ads, only office and billing experience.

I understand their being hesitant to hire me at 22, but with all of this being said.....(I tend to write to much in my posts)

I have noticed many newspaper, magazine, or places like this actually have in their ads "Looking for students" "Looking for young, creative personalities"

Is this normal for the area?

Are there certain creative jobs in which age isnt such a constraint?

I know its a silly question but where I live "creative" jobs do not exist. Everything is done a certain way, there is no room for imagination in the work place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 07:52 PM

3,500 posts, read 6,144,829 times
Please don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not trying to be mean, but ... your post has obvious grammatical and spelling problems. Did you take care to write and speak correctly on applications and during the interviews? If there were any such problems on your application materials, they may have interpreted that as inattention to detail. Just wondering ... ??

Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 PM

584 posts, read 2,417,581 times
Yeah, that was a big help to OP's question....

Old 01-07-2009, 05:57 AM

484 posts, read 1,363,791 times
Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not trying to be mean, but ... your post has obvious grammatical and spelling problems. Did you take care to write and speak correctly on applications and during the interviews? If there were any such problems on your application materials, they may have interpreted that as inattention to detail. Just wondering ... ??
Geez! I think posting on the CD board with spelling errors and what not is alot different the speaking and writing correctly on job applications and interviews. That was pretty ballsy and snide of you to post that as a reply... just my opinion.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:03 AM

103 posts, read 413,491 times
i'm sorry, but i have to agree. that was the first thing that caught my eye in your post, and the reason i didn't initially respond. its not ballsy or snide of skaternum to post that because he qualified it by stating he wasn't trying to be mean AND for you not to take it the wrong way. he was pointing out an observation. you seem to have missed the important part of that in his post.

that being said, i've worked at a paper and have put together ads, sold ads, etc. having office is experience is much more valuable than putting together ads, because the office experience can't be taught. it comes with time and job experience, something that a 22-year-old may not have. however, putting together an ad layout is not that difficult and doesn't take long to learn and can be taught. that's my two cents.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:11 AM

484 posts, read 1,363,791 times
Default okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie313 View Post
i'm sorry, but i have to agree. that was the first thing that caught my eye in your post, and the reason i didn't initially respond. its not ballsy or snide of skaternum to post that because he qualified it by stating he wasn't trying to be mean AND for you not to take it the wrong way. he was pointing out an observation. you seem to have missed the important part of that in his post.

that being said, i've worked at a paper and have put together ads, sold ads, etc. having office is experience is much more valuable than putting together ads, because the office experience can't be taught. it comes with time and job experience, something that a 22-year-old may not have. however, putting together an ad layout is not that difficult and doesn't take long to learn and can be taught. that's my two cents.
"Geez! I think posting on the CD board with spelling errors and what not is alot different the speaking and writing correctly on job applications and interviews." and you seem to have missed the point of my post. I'm going to behave now and leave this thread as I do not feel I am helping the OP.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,103,090 times
Newspapers here are laying off, not hiring.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:54 PM

Well, when I am chatting or posting in forums I don't feel my grammar is very important.

I have been an English tutor at our local college since I was 16, which is when I started college. I have the right to relax and just write sometimes. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:10 AM

850 posts, read 4,729,868 times
The average property manager will make about $40,000/year, the average assistant manager will make $35,000 and the average leasing consultant will make $25,000. Now this will vary greatly based on property. If you can get in on a lease up, which are pretty abundant in this area, you will make the most money. Good luck!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 AM

Thank you so much! That helps us out quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary