U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:34 PM

106 posts, read 204,319 times
Default Commute time to central Durham

The more I look the more I find - of housing options in the Traingle -my job is in central Durham at NCCU and trying to get a sense of the commute times (in rush hour) on the various highways from Raleigh, from Chapel Hill, from Cary, etc.

I was all set on Durham (SW) but the durham school options are still bothering me when I have not idea of the success rate of placement from the lottery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 07:41 AM

2,457 posts, read 5,272,920 times
If you're not happy w/ school options in SW Durham, you might consider northern Durham instead. Easley & Hillandale are both great elementary schools, Brogden is supposedly a good middle school and Riverside is a solid high school. Real estate prices are considerably better in northern Durham than any of the neighboring communities you mentioned.

That said, the commute from the towns you mention will vary greatly depending on where you settle. From most of those areas, though, you'll largely be going against the primary flow of traffic during rush hours, so google maps estimates should be pretty close.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 AM

341 posts, read 516,917 times
Depending on which side of Chapel Hill/carrboro you choose, you ca get to NCCU in 20-30 minutes. 20 if you are on the north side, 30 from the south.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:25 AM

1,040 posts, read 2,279,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprofessor View Post
I was all set on Durham (SW) but the durham school options are still bothering me when I have not idea of the success rate of placement from the lottery.
As a SW Durham resident I am curious why you are bothered by the options of our schools. We do not have any kids yet, but I would love to hear what you have found out.

I do not mean to hijack your thread. Feel free to write me directly.

Thanks!
Matt

Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 AM

54 posts, read 103,652 times
I live in Mebane off of Buckhorn Rd/US70 on the Orange County side. I work in downtown Durham and Garage Door to Office Door time is about 26 minutes (about 20 minutes drive time w/ cruise around 60mph). The west side of Durham, (CH,Hillsbourough, Carborro, Mebane...) is a lot less congested in the morning than coming from the East. Even when I lived by Southpoint mall it took me about the same time to get to DT Durham in the morning.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:44 PM

3,155 posts, read 6,771,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
If you're not happy w/ school options in SW Durham, you might consider northern Durham instead. Easley & Hillandale are both great elementary schools, Brogden is supposedly a good middle school and Riverside is a solid high school. Real estate prices are considerably better in northern Durham than any of the neighboring communities you mentioned.
mdp_az, I'm not certain of the OP's concern about schools in SW Durham. But I have to stand up for my 'hood. Last year Hillandale's test scores were only 1% point different from Creekside and Creekside has 200 more kids than Hillandale. Easley and Pearsontown, both year round options, scores were similar. Pearsontown was 4% points lower, but has greater diversity.

And for High Schools Jordan and Riverside were close in scores. Jordan had 1 pt higher score, with about the same number of kids.

So IMHO, schoos in SW Durham are VERY similar and equal in quality to the schools in North Durham. But personally I don't put a whole lot of stock into the test scores. At our school, Creekside, I've seen some excellent teachers and a whole lotta learning going on. It's just hard to put that in a pretty graph for a power point presentation.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM

2,457 posts, read 5,272,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
mdp_az, I'm not certain of the OP's concern about schools in SW Durham. But I have to stand up for my 'hood. Last year Hillandale's test scores were only 1% point different from Creekside and Creekside has 200 more kids than Hillandale. Easley and Pearsontown, both year round options, scores were similar. Pearsontown was 4% points lower, but has greater diversity.

And for High Schools Jordan and Riverside were close in scores. Jordan had 1 pt higher score, with about the same number of kids.

So IMHO, schoos in SW Durham are VERY similar and equal in quality to the schools in North Durham. But personally I don't put a whole lot of stock into the test scores. At our school, Creekside, I've seen some excellent teachers and a whole lotta learning going on. It's just hard to put that in a pretty graph for a power point presentation.
I hear ya loud and clear. I personally think the SW schools are great and also wonder what the OP's issues are. I just wanted to give them some other options.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:28 PM

106 posts, read 204,319 times
My concerns are with the quality of the non magnet middle school options assigned to the particular rental properties I am interested with in SW Durham not with the area in its entirety. My child is GT with some very specific needs that I do not see addressed in the schools available to my son. Any concerns I have are specific to my child's situation.

MJ

Old 01-08-2009, 05:39 PM

3,155 posts, read 6,771,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprofessor View Post
My concerns are with the quality of the non magnet middle school options assigned to the particular rental properties I am interested with in SW Durham not with the area in its entirety. My child is GT with some very specific needs that I do not see addressed in the schools available to my son. Any concerns I have are specific to my child's situation.

MJ
While my oldest is still in elementary, I think I might understand. I know parents who have have had AIG (same & GT) kids at Githens & Lowes Grove & Sheppard. Some loved the schools, some thought they were ok, and some pulled their kids out for private school.

Keep in mind Kestrel Heights is an option for Middle School as well. It's off of HWY 54 (not far from Lowes Grove) and it's a Charter School 6-12. Yes it is lottery. And yes, MANY people apply to ALL the magnets and Charters that they can for middle school in hopes of getting one spot. So sometimes there is shifting at the last minute. I saw spots open at the last minute for lots of kids this fall. But it's not a guarantee which is troubling.

I can't remember if I mentioned Voyager Academy in North Durham to you or not. It is a Charter School as well 4-8.

Honestly, middle school is biggest concern for my kid's education. BUT my friends in Wake County feel the same way. And as they said, at least my kids will get a foreign language in middle school in Durham (not all Wake County middles offer foregin language.)

Middle school is a tough time for kids and parents. I know this doesn't make any of it easier.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2009, 04:30 PM

1,600 posts, read 3,258,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2 View Post
I live in Mebane off of Buckhorn Rd/US70 on the Orange County side. I work in downtown Durham and Garage Door to Office Door time is about 26 minutes (about 20 minutes drive time w/ cruise around 60mph). The west side of Durham, (CH,Hillsbourough, Carborro, Mebane...) is a lot less congested in the morning than coming from the East. Even when I lived by Southpoint mall it took me about the same time to get to DT Durham in the morning.
Fortunately, the place you work has the BEST MANAGEMENT EVER and never minds if you do run late -- especially the interim managers, you know.

Sorry, inside joke.

DAProfessor, PDXMom's advice is great -- I'd second it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary