Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:37 PM

48 posts, read 130,873 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I live in morrisville and electronics engineer by education . I have worked 3 years in software industry. I have a 5 year old son, I want to do work from home so that I have more time for my son and family.
I want to have some ideas from the people who are doing work from home.
thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
I was working from home for IBM... but I started out on-site and only got the telecommuting arrangement because I moved.

I would check out Dice.com... you can sort their jobs by telecommute only

Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
You might want to talk to these folks:

Balancing Professionals: experts in workplace flexibility and part-time professional positions

They are real advocates for flexible workplace arrangements.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:00 PM

149 posts, read 615,433 times
My wife works from home doing teleservice. Not sure if that's up your alley, but I can offer companies like LiveOps, West At Home. If you do a google search on these companies, I'm sure you can find out info on others like them. Basically, from what I see when my wife is working, those ads for stuff you see on TV, when you call that 1-800 number, chances are you're talking to someone who is sitting at home processing the order on their home computer.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:27 PM

4 posts, read 11,583 times
u should consider using both fields of knowledge to capitalize on the web2.0 craze -

Old 01-08-2009, 06:31 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I used to stay at home with my kids.

I got up early, made breakfast, cleaned the house, did the laundry, took the kids to school or preschool, came home, did more laundry, picked the kids up, made lunch, cleaned the kitchen again, did even more laundry, prepared dinner, cleaned the kitchen, gave the kids their baths, put the kids to bed.

It was work and I was at home. Is this what you had in mind?

Ok...the pay was lousy!!!

Just kidding but I made myself laugh!

Vicki

Old 01-08-2009, 07:11 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I used to stay at home with my kids.

I got up early, made breakfast, cleaned the house, did the laundry, took the kids to school or preschool, came home, did more laundry, picked the kids up, made lunch, cleaned the kitchen again, did even more laundry, prepared dinner, cleaned the kitchen, gave the kids their baths, put the kids to bed.

It was work and I was at home. Is this what you had in mind?

Ok...the pay was lousy!!!

Just kidding but I made myself laugh!

Vicki
It made me laugh too, because I wondered if you had a spy cam at my house!!!

Leigh

Old 01-08-2009, 07:55 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Oh c'mon ladies! It ain't that hard!

I get up at 6:15 when my wife's alarm goes off. This is a luxury for me as I used to get up at 5:15.

I shave, shower, etc and then make my 3 yr old son and I breakfast. I clean up the breakfast dishes and make the beds. I usually also throw a load of laundry in the washer and "read up" the house. By 9:30 we are out of the door and on our way to "Story Time" at a local library or book store.

Once we get home, I make us lunch. Then I clean up the dishes. After lunch, we head to an outdoor park if it is nice, or an indoor park (e.g., Monkey Joes) if the weather is bad. When we get home, my son takes a nap and I do some housework, fold the laundry, look for jobs on the internet, etc.

Then my wife gets home and I make dinner. After dinner, I give my son a bath and put him to bed. I then work on my homework assignments for a computer class that I am taking at Wake Tech. I'm usually in bed by 10pm.

Easy.

But I wish that I was back at work

Old 01-08-2009, 08:52 PM

835 posts, read 2,876,785 times
I do medical transcription from home. I am told there is good money to be made in this industry, but the reason I do it is to be home and for that reason only. I work part time and couldn't take any more than that, as it is hard on the hands, fingers, wrists, arms, shoulders, legs, buttocks, and more. Oh, and I do all the other household chores already mentioned without pay.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Oh c'mon ladies! It ain't that hard!

I get up at 6:15 when my wife's alarm goes off. This is a luxury for me as I used to get up at 5:15.

I shave, shower, etc and then make my 3 yr old son and I breakfast. I clean up the breakfast dishes and make the beds. I usually also throw a load of laundry in the washer and "read up" the house. By 9:30 we are out of the door and on our way to "Story Time" at a local library or book store.

Once we get home, I make us lunch. Then I clean up the dishes. After lunch, we head to an outdoor park if it is nice, or an indoor park (e.g., Monkey Joes) if the weather is bad. When we get home, my son takes a nap and I do some housework, fold the laundry, look for jobs on the internet, etc.

Then my wife gets home and I make dinner. After dinner, I give my son a bath and put him to bed. I then work on my homework assignments for a computer class that I am taking at Wake Tech. I'm usually in bed by 10pm.

Easy.

But I wish that I was back at work
No, it isn't that "hard" physically but the emotional challenge of being with kids all day is exhausting!

Why do you think I left home and became a Realtor?!!

You think it was for the money? Nooooo! It was simply to get away from the kids and the hubby!!!

Ok, now I'm sorta kidding!

P.S. My clients are much more fun than cleaning the kitchen!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary