Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:22 PM

835 posts, read 3,978,397 times

Advertisements

Having been born and raise in NY I see northerners use of curse words differently. If you listen carefully they are usually used to enhance adjectives. "It was so f!#%$%g cold out."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 06:54 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2jules View Post
Having been born and raise in NY I see northerners use of curse words differently. If you listen carefully they are usually used to enhance adjectives. "It was so f!#%$%g cold out."
Yes, yes, that's it exactly! We don't use it in derogatory, degrading terms for the most part but more in the exclamatory manner: F%$^&* cold, F%^&%$ taxes, F$%%^#$& corrupt governor, F$%^^%% black slush covering my new Pradas, F%%&^%^% NYC sucking us dry...

We live in the land of the damned so therefore, our language reflects it so give us a f#$$%^ing breaK already.....

And those who live in the land of milk and honey speak like sugar...

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 03-15-2009 at 07:14 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 07:03 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
I think a lot of men in the South cuss, but only around other men.

I also work w/ a lot of doctor's offices from up north and some of the nurses cuss like sailors. It is pretty funny.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:10 PM

294 posts, read 829,431 times
hopefully you're not my neighbor :-) we do tend to utilize the word f_ck as an adjective.....takes time to get out of our system. I actually learned most of my swear words while riding in the backseat and listening to my dad cross the NH border into MA.....those darn M*******s and the way they drive....:-)

Old 03-15-2009, 07:14 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
So I would like to ask another question relating to this subject. Has anyone from the North ever been spanked or had their mouth washed out with soap for using four letter words? That is what would have happened at my home when I was a child if I had used a curse word. It just was not allowed or ever acceptable. I was taught that people use language like that because they are too uneducated to express themselves in another way. Yes, it is very low class.
Yes, I've had my mouth washed out with soap, and been spanked, not so much for dirty language, but for talking back to my parents. I consider myself the "good" kid in the family. My parents tended to overreact to being challenged but that was their way to deal with it. My mom & pop weren't the most loving or the best parents in many ways, but I still care for them.

I hope this example goes to show that calling all northerners potty mouths is no better than calling all southerners rednecks. No one can can convince me that southerners don't swear!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:14 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Buy a phone that makes routine stealth butt calls and a good bluetooth earpiece, and keep the earpiece on your ear as much as possible.
It won't be long before you will think twice about what you are saying and singing.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 13,931 times
Jis fugitaboutit!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:20 PM

835 posts, read 2,877,846 times
I was born and raised in the Northeast and do not cuss at all. My best friend, however, born and raised in the South, has a mouth that would put a trucker to shame! Sorry to all the truckers out there...don't mean to defend a stereotype with another stereotype.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:16 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrysD724 View Post
I think it is sad that so many people think they have a right to judge others by the way they speak.
It has nothing to do with "having a right" to judge others. It's human nature. We all judge people and in a variety of ways, rightly or wrongly so.

Quote:
Perhaps those who are so afraid to curse are so afraid that others will judge them when they do. But shouldn't you be confident enough to believe that it doesn't matter because you're a good & intelligent person otherwise?
It has nothing to do with being afraid or confident, it's about consideration for others and having some class.

PS I'm no boy scout, but even under adverse conditions or moods I try to be very careful of what I say and how I say it. I don't get why this is so hard for so many to get.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:28 PM

24 posts, read 60,044 times
I love this topic! Maybe D.C. is not northern enough, but the commute to and from work each day and the stressful work environments is enough to make you use language that is not to nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary