Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 10:07 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times

Advertisements

I agree 100%! I think we should prevent criminals from owning dogs...The following people should not be allowed to own dogs... drug dealers, human or animal abusers, and anyone convicted of a violent offense (assault, rape, robbery, etc.) we should also enforce the laws we already have... like strengthen the leash laws... there are so many things we can do without killing off whole breeds! So many things that would really work.. where as killing off a whole breed will just make people move onto the next breed!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
I agree 100%! I think we should prevent criminals from owning dogs...The following people should not be allowed to own dogs... drug dealers, human or animal abusers, and anyone convicted of a violent offense (assault, rape, robbery, etc.) we should also enforce the laws we already have... like strengthen the leash laws... there are so many things we can do without killing off whole breeds! So many things that would really work.. where as killing off a whole breed will just make people move onto the next breed!
Another thing we can do is ban 'chaining out' of dogs. Any dog left chained and forgotten is not going to be well socialized and cared for.....and many have issues because of it, be it pitbull or poodle.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 AM

I agree with that also.. There are other breeds (besides american pit bull terriers, american staffordshire terriers and staffordshire bull terriers) that people trane to be mean... and not just that, we also need to think about the well being of all breeds... there are other breeds that people chain up outside in the weather and leave them for dead! There are other breeds that people starve, beat and dont properly socialize! All of these things factor into creating a mean dog... if we get this at the root of the problem it will help 100 times more than just getting rid of the product of the problem! we need to...

-Put a stop to leash law violations...Higher penalties for owners who violate the leash law will dissuade more people from slacking on their duties to contain their dog
-Strengthen and enforce penalties for dangerous owners (and their dangerous dogs)
-Crack down on dog fighting
-Strengthen animal abuse laws
-Prevent criminals from owning dogs...The following people should not be allowed to own dogs: drug dealers, human or animal abusers, and anyone convicted of a violent offense (assault, rape, robbery, etc.)
-Regulate breeders
-Fund public spay/neuter initiatives...These programs are important, especially low-cost ones. Unneutered dogs, particularly males, are far more likely to attack a human than either neutered males or spayed females.
-Educate about dog behavior (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/dog_care/stay_dog_bite_free/ (broken link))
-Encourage responsible dog ownership
-Provide low-cost obedience training classes and behavior help hotlines for dog owners
*You don't need to enact breed-specific legislation to make your city a safer place to live*

I have said all of this before, I know, but I cant say it enough! If we just do these few simple things it would make a world of difference! Chances are there wouldnt be as many people that would be able to put a dog through the life time of abuse that it sometimes takes to make a dog mean! There wouldnt be as many people that would be able to trane their dogs to be mean! And even for the people that could or would get away with making their dogs mean they wouldnt be able to breed it, it would always have to have a leash or be inside a fence or home!... of course there will still be bad people that still want mean dogs... but it would be so much harder for them and hopefully they just wouldnt even want to bother!

Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 AM

27 posts, read 176,448 times
Forgive me if this was posted in the 10 pages of this thread but this article seemed relevant.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/05/02/hero.dog.ap/index.html (broken link)

Old 05-03-2007, 12:23 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,963 times
I only read the first page of this thread, so maybe this ocmes up later...but reading the arguments here...just replace "pit bull" with "gun" and it looks like we have the gun debate going on!!

(Is it the pit bull's fault? The owner's fault? How do you stop the problem?, etc?!)

Old 05-04-2007, 02:28 PM

As far as the storys in the media... Alot if not MOST of them arent really "pit bulls".. If you contact the news or radio station or even the police station in that city and ask them how they know 100% that the dog that attacked is an American Pit Bull Terrier, an American Staffordshire Terrier or a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.. MOST of the time they will either admit that it wasnt a "pit bull" but they wont change their stroy, they will say they dont know for sure that it was a "pit bull" or they will say no comment... They tell the stories that get ratings.. whether they are ture or not... anyway while we are on the whole media thing there is this web site.. www.blessthebullys.com and they have made this video... http://server.inalbum.com/show/jodip...html?296033009 ... you can get it from that website also.. just go to the section that say message to the media.. they have asked for everyone to copy the shortcut to the video and send it to news stations or whoever you want to just to try to get someone to do a stroy on the truth about "pit bulls".. I sent it to about 5 news stations.. including CNN and The Today Show.. But its a great video, if nothing else atleast take a min. to watch it.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:50 PM

238 posts, read 227,961 times
I support this ban. The dogs themselves are not "bad," but they have been deliberately bred to clamp down and not let go. Their jaws are incredibly powerful. This breed is responsible for more deaths from attacks on humans than any other breed.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:08 PM

238 posts, read 227,961 times
If you are a parent with children, take a peek at some of these stories:

http://www.discovervancouver.com/for...OPIC_ID=126481

SO MANY of the deaths from pit bulls are from "family dogs" that had always been gentle and had no history of prior aggression. Not all dogs have the ability to kill a human being. That's why I'd rather have my child in a room with a chihuahua than a pit bull. People who bring pit bulls around little children are taking a very big risk.

Pit bulls can easily kill children and adults. In fact, all breeds that have killed, percentage wise, a certain percent of humans should be banned. There is no reason to put everyone else at risk so you can play russian roulette.

Not to mention, they are just plain UGLY. They really are unattractive dogs, but that's a whole other matter.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:30 PM

Wow!... Well, I happen to disagree with everything you just said and I am VERY insulted by the fact that you think my dogs are ugly! But whatever.. I guess everyone has thier own opinion! But as far as "pit bulls" having killed more than any other breed, thats not true and if you looked at the statistics instead of believeing all of the crap you hear from tv and other people you would know that... on average "pit bulls" kill 3 people a year! And thats the FACTS not the crap said in the media!.. MOST of the time when you hear of a "pit bull" attack on tv its not even a "pit bull"... There are 20+ breeds commonly mistaken for "pit bulls"... by the way a "pit bull" isnt even a breed!... The media tells the stories that get ratings.. people dont want to hear about any other breed attacking or killing people! If you call the news station that is reporting the attack, or even the police station in that city, and ask how they know for sure if the dog was an american pit bull terrier, an american staffordshire terrier or a staffordshire bull terrier most of the time they will say that they dont know what kind of dog it was or they will have no comment! I promise you.. very few, if any of those dogs had papers showing they were any 1 of the 3 breeds that people call "pit bulls"... There are many breeds that hurt or kill more people each year than "pit bulls" and there are ALOT of breeds that can cause just as much damage as "pit bulls"... as far as their jaws go.. Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic (Dangerous Encounters: Bite Force, 8pm est 8/18/2005) – Dr. Barr measured bite forces of many different creatures. Domestic dogs were included in the test. Here are the results of all of the animals tested: Humans: 120 pounds of bite pressure Domestic dogs: 320 LBS of pressure on avg. A German Shepard, American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and Rottweiler were tested using a bite sleeve equipped with a specialized computer instrument. The APBT had the least amount of pressure of the 3 dogs tested... Believe what you want but there are facts showing that you shouldnt believe everything you hear on tv or see on web sites like the one above..

oh and by the way I happen to think that "pit bulls" are the best looking breeds out there.. but thats just my opinion.. These are me and my husbands babys!..Brooklyn and Destiny

Old 05-04-2007, 08:04 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Boy, there sure are some knee-jerk reactions here. Sure, dogs might bite. And larger dogs which bite will probably do more damage than smaller dogs. But to try to lump dogs of a specific breed together and say all are bad just makes no sense to me.

Like PitBullMomie1206, I happen to think that Pit Bulls are beautiful. I'm probably biased as our last girl, who we found as a stray, was a Pit Bull mix. Sweetest dog you could ever find. And, IMHO, she was a very pretty girl.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nina at Lake Edge.JPG
Views:	1918
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	3290
She Loved to Swim and Fetch

Name:	Nina on Bed.JPG
Views:	1000
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	3291
Resting on the Bed

Name:	Nina and Alec.JPG
Views:	1728
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	3289
Hanging Out With the Kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary