Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:52 AM

656 posts, read 1,201,127 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Happy New Year to everyone.

I recently moved to Cary and work in Charlotte. I took the train at 7.15 at Cary and Reached Charlotte at 10:15 AM, and it took almost 10:40 AM to reach my office.

How many of you commute to Charlotte ? It would be nice if the Train leave Cary at 6 AM and reach Charlotte before 9 AM.

If there are lots of people who would take the train , we can form a group and request Amtrak to consider a change in the timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,780,790 times
That's a hell of a commute!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 PM

63 posts, read 153,157 times
That commute is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!

I hope you don't do that everyday.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 PM

754 posts, read 1,688,210 times
I thought this would be about the Panthers game not a commute. Ouch!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:33 PM

419 posts, read 1,391,723 times
You asked how many people commute from Raleigh to Charlotte? I'm guessing.........1. Maybe I'm off by a couple but it's still not enough to convince Ammtrak to change their schedule around.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:20 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,634,245 times
The op is not the only one! There was an article about this recently: High Ridership On Amtrak A Problem For Raleigh - Wake County - MyNC.com I hope there is a better schedule soon!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:32 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,262,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
Hi all,

I recently moved to Cary and work in Charlotte. I took the train at 7.15 at Cary and Reached Charlotte at 10:15 AM, and it took almost 10:40 AM to reach my office.

How many of you commute to Charlotte ? It would be nice if the Train leave Cary at 6 AM and reach Charlotte before 9 AM.

If there are lots of people who would take the train , we can form a group and request Amtrak to consider a change in the timing.
This doesn't surprise me one bit. I have had co-workers that commuted to Charlotte from Boone, Fayetteville, Columbia, and Charleston SC. Many folks in the NorthEast commute such distances by train everyday as well. NC/SC needs high speed rail badly. There are folks that would rather not move every time a good job came their way!!! A highspeed train from the Triangle to Charlotte would make the OP's commute time about half (90 minutes) the time it is now!!!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:48 PM

63 posts, read 153,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This doesn't surprise me one bit. I have had co-workers that commuted to Charlotte from Boone, Fayetteville, Columbia, and Charleston SC. Many folks in the NorthEast commute such distances by train everyday as well. NC/SC needs high speed rail badly. There are folks that would rather not move every time a good job came their way!!! A highspeed train from the Triangle to Charlotte would make the OP's commute time about half (90 minutes) the time it is now!!!

The people that do a commute like that in the north, do so because they can't find safe, affordable housing that fits their lifestyle or price range anywhere near the major metropolitan areas (New York, Boston, etc). I don't think that's the case here. I can see NO reason why some one would put themselves thorugh that here in North Carolina. It's just ridiculous!!

Old 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,187,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
Hi all,

NC99,

You don't do that everyday do you? That is a lot of time and quite costly. I would seriously consider moving to the Charlotte area if possible unless you have a good reason to be in Cary. I don't see mass transit options between Charlotte and Raleigh changing anytime in the next 5 years.

I've never met anyone in the Triangle who regularly commutes to Charlotte for work.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:40 PM

446 posts, read 1,390,995 times
Would love to know more about this one.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary