U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:15 PM

26 posts, read 68,598 times

Advertisements

This week my 18 year old daughter went to the dentist for a basic cleaning and before I knew it was over $700.

Cleaning $135.00
Xray's $ 90.00
2 filling's $500.00

Total $725.00 This just seem's high to me what is any else paying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 PM

331 posts, read 893,633 times
Cleaning and xrays seem about right.....now that I think about it, so do the fillings. My 19 year old needs 2 bridges...they want $6100. Now THATS too much!!!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM

22,003 posts, read 39,523,741 times
the prices above are about right for the area. Chapel Hill does have a dental school if you dont mind you or your children being guinea pigs with them for lower cost

Old 01-09-2009, 06:11 PM

247 posts, read 706,386 times
The fillings seem a bit high to me. Everything else is pretty much on target.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:23 PM

2,408 posts, read 7,369,697 times
Seems about right to me, too. Don't you usually ask how much procedures are going to cost (and if there's room for negotiation, payment plans, etc) before having the procedure done?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:24 PM

8 posts, read 18,087 times
Or you can go to Wake Tech and get it all done for $20 by students. It may take a little longer, but it's extremely thorough (includes vitals, cancer screening, and patient education).

Old 01-09-2009, 07:49 PM

58 posts, read 110,149 times
I feel your pain. We shelled out over $2100 the past two months, thanks to two emergency root canals that I had to have (emergency, meaning, there's no way I could've handled the pain much longer). We don't have insurance, so it all came out of pocket.

The fillings seem a bit high to me. I've had every tooth in my mouth filled, except the one that just broke and fell out (hyperemesis gravidarum really messes with your teeth), and even though I had insurance at the time all this dental work was going on, I don't think each individual filling cost that much.

Some dental places are good about payment plans, though. I payed $50 every two weeks to my dentist when I was getting all those fillings. (Endo/periodontists weren't so good about payment plans, though, hence the hemorraging of money that went on the past few months.)

My sympathies to your daughter, Caryguy. Dental work sucks, especially when you're paying a ton to be put in pain.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:22 PM

8,807 posts, read 14,602,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Something View Post
Or you can go to Wake Tech and get it all done for $20 by students. It may take a little longer, but it's extremely thorough (includes vitals, cancer screening, and patient education).
The fillings seem a bit high. Do they do fillings too? Are there any dentists that work on a sliding scale?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 PM

2,688 posts, read 4,668,972 times
Sounds about right to me. The two jobs I recommend to young people today is Dentist and Veterinarians! When was the last time you heard either one of them being layed off? As long as our insurance companies pay most if not all of the bills the prices will keep going up. If we all paid the bills out of our pockets I think you would see much lower prices.

Use to recommend to young students to be Engineers ( mechanical/electrical/software), Doctors, not anymore those fields are either to hard to find a job in or your malpractice insurance rates are to high to make any real money in.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:08 AM

8,586 posts, read 15,717,055 times
On the high side.

My dentist is a lot lower.

By the way, it's not always necessary to spend big bucks on root canals and crowns. If the tooth's not that noticeable, just save your money and pull it.

Depending on your age, many problems with shifting occur far less often than some dentists lead patients to believe. You can lose a few teeth with no big consequences.

My dentist is a realist, not a money grubber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary