Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:58 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
All those thinking of moving here without a job, please proceed with extreme caution!!
It's always best to have a job before you move anywhere. We quit good paying jobs and moved here with no jobs, but we had a good nest egg. Our son was able to land jobs with 3 different employers here in the last year alone. He has now settled into a really good company after leaving the previous 2. It was great that he had so many opportunities here that he was able to try out, so he could find the perfect fit. He is very happy now. The happiest I have ever seen him.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:59 PM

226 posts, read 610,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Hopefully CarolinaCowboy will chime in. He has been traveling around the country and has had some great input about the rest of the country compared to here. I share in his dire forecast for the rest of the country and his appreciation of how much better it is here. Of course we will feel some pain here, but everyone is going to feel pain. The question is, which area will feel less of it and recover quicker. My answer to that is the Triangle...........easily. For the most part right now, other than a slowing housing market, I can't tell there is a recession without turning on the news.
Agreed. no one is saying that it is easy anywhere and finding a job is tough. I was laid off for 15 months back in 2002 during the dot com bubble burst so I have been there...done that. All in all, I'd rather toss my dice on the table here rather than about 35 other states in the US of A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGRW View Post
We are still in one of the best areas for employment in the country. If you think it's bad "here"...be glad you're not "there".

Count your blessings and persevere!
Quote:
Agreed. no one is saying that it is easy anywhere and finding a job is tough. I was laid off for 15 months back in 2002 during the dot com bubble burst so I have been there...done that. All in all, I'd rather toss my dice on the table here rather than about 35 other states in the US of A.
Very well said on both counts.

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Hopefully CarolinaCowboy will chime in. He has been traveling around the country and has had some great input about the rest of the country compared to here. I share in his dire forecast for the rest of the country and his appreciation of how much better it is here. Of course we will feel some pain here, but everyone is going to feel pain. The question is, which area will feel less of it and recover quicker. My answer to that is the Triangle...........easily. For the most part right now, other than a slowing housing market, I can't tell there is a recession without turning on the news.
So, unless you are in real estate, why is it so important to you to get more people to come here? Even if our economic indicators are good here, going out and calling in more unemployed people to move here directly drives the job rate down....we won't be "above average" long if you keep calling "Come on down, the water's fine" to everyone in every other part of the country.

What's wrong with leaving a good thing as it is?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
So, unless you are in real estate, why is it so important to you to get more people to come here? Even if our economic indicators are good here, going out and calling in more unemployed people to move here directly drives the job rate down....we won't be "above average" long if you keep calling "Come on down, the water's fine" to everyone in every other part of the country.

I am not selfish. I realize how much better off I am here and how much more enjoyable life is. I will never be one to try to shut the door behind me. If someone can find an easier or happier time here, I am thrilled for them. I am not saying this area is for everyone, but just stating the facts of what we have and people can decide for themselves. I highly doubt anyone is going to move based off of what I say. But if they are already thinking about moving, I want them to know how good it has been for my family. Maybe they will benefit also.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 PM

264 posts, read 907,763 times
Quote:

The answer is he is either in real estate or he is a troll, a yankee troll !

Old 01-09-2009, 09:10 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
Quote:
I highly doubt anyone is going to move based off of what I say.
Don't be surprised, desperate times cause desperate measures....

I would never deny anyone living here either, but I wouldn't put out a blanket statement either when so many people living here are struggling already and layoffs are happening everyday here just like anywhere else in the country.....

All those considering moving here do yourself a favor and watch the local papers. This is no nirvana by any means as far as available jobs......

Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 PM
.-.

157 posts, read 370,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Don't be surprised, desperate times cause desperate measures....

I would never deny anyone living here either, but I wouldn't put out a blanket statement either when so many people living here are struggling already and layoffs are happening everyday here just like anywhere else in the country.....

All those considering moving here do yourself a favor and watch the local papers. This is no nirvana by any means as far as available jobs......
Very well said.

Take a beating on your house sale where you're currently at to move here only to be standing in the unemployment line like the rest already here.

While some realtor that bated you here with claims of paradise is living just that off your expense.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:24 PM

226 posts, read 610,230 times
Quote:

I'm not sure what brochure says "Come on down, the water's fine" but people from all parts of the country still see that the Triangle has jobs in healthcare, IT and others disciplines. They have come before and they will continue to come. Fewer jobs may mean fewer folks moving here, but in the grand scheme of things...the Triangle will continue to grow...companies will continue to relocate here, existing companies will continue to expand...homes will continue to be built...people will continue to buy things...all things. This has been a high growth area for the last 25 years and will be a high growth area for the next 25 years. Raleigh, NC area is about the best bunker that we can hunker down in to weather this storm. Be safe, be happy and be glad it's 60 degrees in January!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what brochure says "Come on down, the water's fine" but people from all parts of the country still see that the Triangle has jobs in healthcare, IT and others disciplines. They have come before and they will continue to come. Fewer jobs may mean fewer folks moving here, but in the grand scheme of things...the Triangle will continue to grow...companies will continue to relocate here, existing companies will continue to expand...homes will continue to be built...people will continue to buy things...all things. This has been a high growth area for the last 25 years and will be a high growth area for the next 25 years. Raleigh, NC area is about the best bunker that we can hunker down in to weather this storm. Be safe, be happy and be glad it's 60 degrees in January!

You just brought up another great point. This area does a really good job of basically bribing companies to come here. Lots of tax breaks, which ends up providing jobs for us. As the economy gets tougher nationwide, more companies will want to move here for the economics of it. Not all companies, but more companies. That's more good news for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary