Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:44 PM

75 posts, read 335,225 times

Advertisements

Hello. I sadly read an earlier post about the lack of Polish restaurants in the RTP area. But I was wondering if any Catholic churches in the RTP area have fish frys on Friday(s) during Lent?

I realize this may seem like a fairly trivial question....in light of many of posters' very good questions about housing and jobs.....(and what to do with the holes above the fireplaces)....but as someone from Western PA who's considering relocating to Raleigh this summer, Lent without a fish fry is like, well......Lent without a fish fry.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 08:55 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,636,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiemoon0810 View Post
Hello. I sadly read an earlier post about the lack of Polish restaurants in the RTP area. But I was wondering if any Catholic churches in the RTP area have fish frys on Friday(s) during Lent?

I realize this may seem like a fairly trivial question....in light of many of posters' very good questions about housing and jobs.....(and what to do with the holes above the fireplaces)....but as someone from Western PA who's considering relocating to Raleigh this summer, Lent without a fish fry is like, well......Lent without a fish fry.

Thanks for any info.
I see lots of fish plate sales, both for churches and fire departments, but they don't seem to be during Lent, and what is worse; no pancake Tuesdays either.

There just isn't a large Catholic population down here yet (but it's growing) and most Baptists tend to view Catholics with suspicion. (The first time I heard someone actually use the term 'mackerel eater' when speaking of someone that left work for a special Mass I about died!! And what was worse...the person didn't understand they were being rude!)

I am sure some parishes offer them...but they aren't well advertised to the general population but kept 'in the community'. Then again, I grew in a a place that the local Elks did seafood suppers every Friday during lent and the local schools never served meat on Fridays either. (Gotta love cheese pizza and mac/cheese!)

Old 03-07-2007, 09:09 PM

48 posts, read 185,503 times
We visited a church in Cary (for mass on a Sunday while we were there), and it was quite big, called St. Michael's http://www.stmichaelcary.org/.

I would bet they would have something. Glad to know we wouldn't be the only Catholics in the area LOL!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 PM

Actually I just went to their website and clicked on calendar...the do have a Friday Fish Fry

Old 03-07-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhbt View Post
Actually I just went to their website and clicked on calendar...the do have a Friday Fish Fry
It is for parish members only though? The fish frys I remember from up North were community events for everyone....not just church members.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:21 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,002,054 times
What about st. catherine's in wake forest? I thought they had a rather large membership (3000 plus???) I have a number of friends who attend there, and they talk about going to mass on friday evening, but I haven't heard about a fish fry.............

I will ask!

Leigh

Old 03-07-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
What about st. catherine's in wake forest? I thought they had a rather large membership (3000 plus???) I have a number of friends who attend there, and they talk about going to mass on friday evening, but I haven't heard about a fish fry.............

I will ask!

Leigh
I haven't seen anything advertised or mentioned about St. Catherine's, and in fact, one of our friends who attends St. Cat's was just mentioning the hometown fish fries (they come from the same town as we do) and how he misses them and hasn't found any down here yet like that.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:44 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,389,827 times
Well I dunno about these lenten things...but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiemoon0810 View Post
Hello. I sadly read an earlier post about the lack of Polish restaurants in the RTP area.
Try J.Betski's in downtown Raleigh...it's part-German, part-Polish, but nonetheless the food is great.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:07 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post

I will ask!

Leigh
St. Catherine's does have fish fries all during Lent and they are open to anyone- $5 per person, $20 for a family.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
It is for parish members only though? The fish frys I remember from up North were community events for everyone....not just church members.

It is open to all.

Is there a reason you thought otherwise? They were very welcoming to us when we visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary