Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:59 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,594,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
We checked out tickets for Rent... $70 a pop... Yikes. I have no doubt it'd be worth it. We just need to put our pennies towards slightly more important things right now (like a refrigerator).
I bought tickets for Rent for the Friday night show. We got the upper balcony for $27 a pop.

I also received this email recently:

Special RENT FANS Offer is Back!
As a Friend of DPAC, a limited time offer of up to 25% Off RENT is back! Offer applies to Thursday Evening, Saturday Matinee, and Sunday Matinee & Evening performances.

RENT starring Adam Pascal & Anthony Rapp
January 20-25, 09

Don't miss DPAC's Premiere Broadway show starring original Broadway cast members!

CLICK HERE TO BUY
PASSWORD: RENTHEAD

Pre-sale Friday Jan. 9 through Tuesday, Jan 13 @ 10am. Valid on Thurs, Sat Mat., Sun Mat., & Sun Eve. balcony seats. Not valid on previously purchased tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 AM

249 posts, read 689,753 times
We went there last Sunday to see the Last Comic Standing Tour. It was nice to walk into a place that was so new. I had one complaint though. They need to add some couches on the 2nd floor so people can relax when waiting for the show to start. They do have couches on the first floor, but it would have been so much nicer to be able to sit on the 2nd floor. The theater itself was very nice. I would go back again.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 AM

673 posts, read 2,261,607 times
Nicely done as always, NRG!

I drive by the DPAC on a semi-regular basis, and you captured this new venue very nicely!

Old 01-12-2009, 08:48 AM

18 posts, read 39,351 times
Nice pics, as usual, NRG! This is quite a feather in Durham's cap.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:38 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,899,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Actually, I like it! A building like this is either going to be named after a major corporate donor, after a major individual donor, in honor of a distinguished individual, or will get a generic name. I find this much better than something like "Bank of America Performing Arts Center" or the "SAS Institute for the Performing Arts." Our world has enough corporatism creeping into every aspect of life, so it's nice to still have something that's plain and straightforward.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art, Yankee Stadium, Dolphin Stadium, Fenway Park, Texas Stadium, Art Institute of Chicago and others have gotten by just fine despite (or, perhaps, because of) their generic-sounding names. (I suppose you could have named it after the Durham neighborhood that got destroyed by the building of Highway 147, but giving it the name Durham gives more pub to the city.)
I like the name too... but <cough cough> it's temporary until they get a <cough cough> corporate sponsor.

I've heard rumors of some of the companies they're going after for it. Intriguingly, given the plans for new skyscrapers at Johnson Chrysler next to the DPAC and American Tobacco as well as downtown -- one of the things on Durham's plate is looking for a corporate HQ, and one of the hopes is they might want their name on the DPAC as well as a skyscraper right next to 147.

With the bad economy, my over-under on the time it will take for naming rights to sell is 3 years -- but building naming rights are definitely on the market...

Old 01-12-2009, 06:46 PM

46 posts, read 209,455 times
Great job, NRG. I LOVE the last three pics. The "Old Bull" building is a gem. And I love that back shot of Main Street, with the Hill Building (Suntrust) offsetting the older structures on that block.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,726,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I like the name too... but <cough cough> it's temporary until they get a <cough cough> corporate sponsor.
Oh well. Let's just hope it's not Wyeth; then, to advertise one of their best-known products, they might decide to name it the "Preparation H Center."

Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,726,532 times
I visited DPAC for the first time last night, and I think it looks nicer in person than it does in pictures (no reflection on your photography, NRG!). The lobby is nice as well; it was a little more cramped than I expected a new theater to be -- meaning it was more crowded than the lobby at many of the other non-New York City theaters that I've been to -- but it wasn't too bad. To my unpracticed ear, the acoustics of the theater were pretty good as well, though visually it was a little plain. Good show, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary