Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 PM

26 posts, read 104,503 times

Advertisements

What happened to the water shortage/drought? It seems like the media doesn't talk about it anymore. Are we back at normal levels? Is the shortage over? Have any water restrictions been lifted? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 12:16 PM

121 posts, read 381,582 times
We are definitely out of the drought in the Triangle. The western parts of the state are still moderately dry.
Most restrictions were lifted a few months ago (check your municipality's website for specifics).

Old 01-13-2009, 12:23 PM

158 posts, read 472,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugh!! View Post
What happened to the water shortage/drought? It seems like the media doesn't talk about it anymore. Are we back at normal levels? Is the shortage over? Have any water restrictions been lifted? Just curious.

It looks like our water restrictions were lifted September 16th, 2008. Source (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_306_202_0_43/http;/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Environment/Cat-1C-2007628-130320-City_Of_Raleigh_Water_Re.html - broken link)

Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
What happened? It rained! Often and heavily this past 9 to 12 months!

Falls Lake is full and sometimes over full. Ask the kayakers that dip and weave within the output side of the dam....the glee in their eyes and the water under their paddles says the drought is over! Ask the fishermen who walk over the Neuse River bridge to fish on the other side of the river instead of just walking thought it, they say what drought?

Not every restriction was lifted and some just make sense to stay so we can slowly creep into our next drought instead of just waking up one day and say; hey where did all the water go?

Plus the new home growth has slowed this past year which slowed the demands on the water system. It was blistering in 2004 - 2006 just before the severe drought....nature was able to catch up now for the next growth phase!

Got water????

Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
I'm pleasantly surprised at how cheap the water here is, in VA I was paying $45-$50/month for my apartment (individual metering). Here in Raleigh my monthly water bill on my HOUSE including washing the cars, house, watering the lawn, etc. is $35/month and that includes trash collection.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:32 PM

26 posts, read 104,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
What happened? It rained! Often and heavily this past 9 to 12 months!

Falls Lake is full and sometimes over full. Ask the kayakers that dip and weave within the output side of the dam....the glee in their eyes and the water under their paddles says the drought is over! Ask the fishermen who walk over the Neuse River bridge to fish on the other side of the river instead of just walking thought it, they say what drought?

Not every restriction was lifted and some just make sense to stay so we can slowly creep into our next drought instead of just waking up one day and say; hey where did all the water go?

Plus the new home growth has slowed this past year which slowed the demands on the water system. It was blistering in 2004 - 2006 just before the severe drought....nature was able to catch up now for the next growth phase!

Got water????

Ok....... calm down.... I was just curious.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:13 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
None of which means you shouldn't continue your water-saving habits to prevent a water shortage the next time there IS a rain deficit--with a population growing as fast as this area's is, the same amount of water that gets us through one year won't be enough in the next.

Just because you CAN leave the faucet running while you shave doesn't mean you should!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:42 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugh!! View Post
Ok....... calm down.... I was just curious.

lol OK I will try but I get 'pumped'' up about all this water talk!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 PM

447 posts, read 1,718,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
None of which means you shouldn't continue your water-saving habits to prevent a water shortage the next time there IS a rain deficit--with a population growing as fast as this area's is, the same amount of water that gets us through one year won't be enough in the next.

Just because you CAN leave the faucet running while you shave doesn't mean you should!

Again I pose the question, why worry about water use when the source waters are basically over flowing. My understanding is that the ARMY Corp of Engineers sets a full level for a lake. The lake is then drained to keep it at that level to prevent flooding incase of large amount of rain in a short period of time. This overflow water could easily be used by people with no damage to the water supply. The idea of restrictions during times of non-drought are a bit of a mystery to me. I might be missing something, I just don't know what.

I am all for protecting our waterways and sources. I am also fine with conservation, I still use all of my low flow devices. I never water my lawn unless it is to spray down weed and feed. I am very moderate in my water usage so I am not asking the questions to justify some wild usage of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary