U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2009, 12:14 PM

91 posts, read 36,045 times

Advertisements

Here're the link:

Durham, NC - City of Medicine (http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/departments/solid/recycle_index.cfm - broken link)

Cary recycling policies: http://www.townofcary.org/depts/pwdept/recycling/

Batteries
Auto and boat batteries are collected at any of Durham County's staffed Solid Waste Convenience Centers and at the City Waste Disposal and Recycling Center.

Household or Common:
The following stores collect rechargeable Ni-Cad batteries and button batteries:
Radio Shack
B&T Racing
Durham Hobby Center
Circuit City
Wal-Mart
Altell
Bell South Mobility
Sears Repair Services
Verizon Wireless

Household batteries are accepted at the City's Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collections.

Lead acid batteries may be recycled at the City Waste Disposal and Recycling Center.

Contact a Hazardous Waste Management Company for recycling batteries from commercial use (company cell phones and radios)

Chatham Salvage, Bear Creek, NC, 919-837-5990, accepts lead acid batteries, electronic equipment purchased, computer monitors, CPUs, motherboards, printers, and various electronic scrap - call for an appointment to discuss your needs for helping to keep these items out of our landfills.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,870 times
Default Alkaline Batteries

Alkaline Manganese Batteries

Moderator cut: Please post links, do not copy/paste text from other websites

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-22-2009 at 04:43 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 PM

227 posts, read 485,369 times
The Whole Foods store in Raleigh does not collect any batteries. I am not sure about the other locations though.

John

Old 09-25-2009, 12:36 PM

525 posts, read 1,855,039 times
I know the OP asked about "recycling" old batteries but if no place can be found, Wake County will accept them and dispose of them properly (hazardous waste). Drop off sites are now open 6 days per week (instead of the first Saturday of the month). I took batteries, cans of paint, motor oil, lawn and garden chemicals to them. WakeGOV.com - Household Hazardous Waste

Old 12-21-2010, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,382 times
Another website revealed that Raleigh fire stations will accept used consumer batteries for disposal. City of Raleigh website lists station locations but not their phone numbers. I called Fire Chief's office and got a station number. The man who answered at the station said "yes", but I didn't ask about whether the program was limited to rechargeable batteries - I mentioned AAA size as an example.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:32 PM

62 posts, read 142,127 times
Ace Hardware takes them - that is where I take mine ( I use the one on hwy 42/50)

Old 12-21-2010, 08:36 PM

268 posts, read 612,154 times
I take my own trash to the dump. I took a box of used-up batteries there and they told me to throw them in with everything else. They only recycle the rechargeable types.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 9,645 times
Exclamation Whole Foods in Chapel Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNC View Post
The Whole Foods store in Raleigh does not collect any batteries. I am not sure about the other locations though.

John
The one in Chapel Hill does, and the one in Durham on Broad Street recycles Brita filters as well as yogurt cups.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 9,645 times
The dump on 1900 East Club Boulevard takes batteries, paint, etc -- hazardous household goods. The entrance comes up quickly on the left, with two signs that say "entrance." It's directly across from the water reclamation facility, so keep your eyes open when you see that.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,215 times
Default Don't throw away

The Big Green Box.com They have a box available to purchase that gets filled with up to 40 lbs of any type of battery...they are located at Walgreens stores, and if you go to the website, it will tell you all the locations of one.

The issue with alkaline is there is no money to be made from recycling them, and they have trace amounts of mercury... so if you have many battereis, buy a box for yourself to keep for a year mail back. The total cost is around 60 dollars, but it's a box that gets shipped to you, included in pricing, and when its full 40 pounds later, you ship it back (included in price too). If you don't want to pay or you don't have that many just find the locations that have the boxes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary