Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:16 PM

915 posts, read 2,376,442 times

Advertisements

$600 sounds like way too much to me. I have a mechanic replace the bearing in my 2000 Volvo V40 for $220.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 08:28 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,292,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
I did it myself on my 70 Chevelle about 10 years ago, took me about an hour. The bearing was $5 and the grease was $3.
But todays front wheel drive is a different scenario but I would be interested to see how many hours labor they billed you for.

I thought those Kia's had a 100K warranty?
Don't you also need a press to change an axle bearing? I remember the front bearings being inside a hub when they had front drums

Edit: I just saw this thread was 6 years old.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:38 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,851,502 times
In April I paid around $300 to replace one wheel bearing on my Camry. I needed one for a long time and got a few estimates, so I was prepared before I got to the auto repair shop. I drove for months with a roaring sound, but the noise disappeared as soon as I left the shop. IIRC, I posted about this on the Automotive Forum. I'm not sure if the cost of labor varies by region, but I had the work done in Franklin in WNC.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:42 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,292,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
Plainjane - if I understood your post correctly, the dealer charged you $600, and the noise is still there?

You can do this check yourself to see if it's indeed the wheel bearing that's giving you problems: jack up the side of the car with the noise so that the tire can spin freely. Grab the tire at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and try to rock it. Grab it again at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and try to rock it again. Also try to push the tire in and out. If you detect any play when you do that, the wheel bearing needs to be replaced. It's a fairly simple test. Get your BF/SO/a neighbour to help if you have to, it shouldn't take more than 10 mins for everything.
Wheel bearings in today's cars are all sealed up, so they'd have to be replaced as a unit.

If the noise occurs when you're making a turn, it could be the CV joints ("constant velocity" joints). Usually the damage starts when the rubber boots get torn up and dirt, sand, and water can creep in. If it's the CV joint, you have a little more time to get it fixed.

I'd avoid the dealership you went to. If they can't diagnose the faulty part correctly (drive shaft/wheel bearing), and charge you $600 without fixing the noise, then I have a name for them. It begins with a "c" and rhymes with "rook".

Good luck, and please keep us posted if you can.
I agree completely, the shop should not only be able to distinguish which side has the bad bearing but if that's the actual problem.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:42 PM

338 posts, read 289,094 times
Wow that seems high. We had a wheel bearing go out on a cross country trip and the front tire locked up. We changed it out on the side of the Interstate in about 2 hours including going to get the parts. If you can buy the whole hub assembly (how it was sold for 2500 duramax) it can be changed out pretty easy. Then you could save 3-400 dollars

Old 11-06-2015, 08:58 AM

363 posts, read 436,629 times
Roam is right, you need a press. And it needs to be done on the vehicle, or you probably will have to do it over. Ask me how I know, lol. But the "toy airplane" sound is not that, sounds like it the ignition switch is worn out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary