U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 PM

320 posts, read 558,517 times

Advertisements

geoof2v...we're talking about SCHOOLS here. Stay on topic please. I have no beef with road taxes or paying for police/fire, etc.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 PM

483 posts, read 966,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
"public, inclusive education available for all children"

Exactly my point. The majority of which should be paid for through tuition and taxes paid by parents who choose to have children.
No, I think you missed my point. And why should the government incentivize childlessness by levying what amounts to a childbirth tax on new parents? Government is in the business of encouraging, not discouraging, the creation of new taxpayers.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:11 PM

I don't think it is Incentivizing childlessness......its simply saying that if you CHOOSE to have children, 1, 2, or 10, you should pay YOUR SHARE of educating them.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,223,994 times
I don't see how this is specific to the Triangle. Maybe there is another forum you can discuss population control and taxes.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 PM

"I don't see how this is specific to the Triangle. Maybe there is another forum you can discuss population control and taxes."

1) Because I live in the Triangle and 2) because people discuss all kinds of topics on this forum. And finally, this is NOT about population control.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:35 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,814,024 times
Quote:
geoof2v...we're talking about SCHOOLS here. Stay on topic please. I have no beef with road taxes or paying for police/fire, etc.....
You think the topic is schools, I think the topic is government services that benefit only some people that everyone has to pay for.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:42 PM

I respectfully disagree. And the topic IS schools. The separate line items on your tax bill...Wake County Schools -Operating, Wake County Schools - Capital, Wake Tech Community College.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM

19,706 posts, read 31,516,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
You think the topic is schools, I think the topic is government services that benefit only some people that everyone has to pay for.
I think geoff is right.
The umbrella of services and how it is funded is a knotty question.
Separating school expenses from government spending with proposition of user fees only for schools can't logically be done.

And, how much of school funding comes from state income tax?
Should a childless renter have to pay income tax to put someone's kid into school?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:53 PM

It absolutely can be logically done. School systems have budgets. They have tuition rolls to determine how many children per household attend school.

Should a childless renter have to pay income tax to put someone's kid into school?

Good question....

Old 01-16-2009, 01:01 PM

19,706 posts, read 31,516,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Ideally, I see a very broad public benefit in good education, and good training.
I would rather cough up a few bucks then see the neighbors determine that a couple of kids would do without schooling.

But, you can sure have some serious fun telling folks, with a straight face, that schools should be funded through user fees.
Quote:
It absolutely can be logically done. School systems have budgets. They have tuition rolls to determine how many children per household attend school.

Good question....
I gotta give you credit for mastering that "straight face" thing and having fun with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary