Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 03:39 PM

40 posts, read 86,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
Are there any other childless people out there who really resent having 75% of their property taxes going to the county schools? I like children, but don't have any and I don't think people without children in school here should have to pay so much in taxes for it!!

I understand your frustration, but we do live in a society where we take from one group and give to another. I don't like it anymore than you do, but if I had to pick my fight on paying taxes for things I don't use I would pick a fight regarding my tax dollars going to things I am morally against. So in the grand scheme of things, the taxes for schools is not at the top of my list. If they don't get an edumication then I will be supporting them anyhow, 'cause that's what we do in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
The next thing you know the 16 year olds of the world working at Subway or Burger King on the weekends are going to start asking why they have Social Security Taxes withheld from their paychekcs since they are not a senior citizens and they will likely never see the benefit of social security when they are older because it will have gone bankrupt long before then.

In the meantime, it's a good thing we are paying for their education. They are going to need it to find good paying jobs to fund their retirement with their own money one day.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:30 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

In the meantime, it's a good thing we are paying for their education. They are going to need it to find good paying jobs to fund their retirement with their own money one day.
Good point. And, we ALL are counting on them to make enough money to pay back the current war and bail out debt that THEY had no voting power over.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:04 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Good point. And, we ALL are counting on them to make enough money to pay back the current war and bail out debt that THEY had no voting power over.
I'm counting on my kids to support me in my old age.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:15 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,962 times
Quote:
My kids didn't sign up to subsidize the 40% of Americans that pay no federal income tax either. Again, who said taxes are fair?

Old 01-17-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
My kids didn't sign up to subsidize the 40% of Americans that pay no federal income tax either. Again, who said taxes are fair?
I agree that taxes aren't "fair". Its not about taxes being "fair". But we need a good segment of the population to be educated to hold profession jobs or our entire economy falls apart....not just our tax supported government.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:16 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,962 times
Quote:
I agree that taxes aren't "fair". Its not about taxes being "fair". But we need a good segment of the population to be educated to hold profession jobs or our entire economy falls apart....not just our tax supported government.
You're preaching to the choir. I just feel sorry for the OP because if this really makes him upset he must have a very unhappy life because there are a whole lot of tax policies that are less "fair" than this. BTW, I'm on your side about the bailouts. IMO what's going on right now is an enormous transfer of wealth from the young to the old. I just don't get what this thread has to do with the Triangle.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
You're preaching to the choir. I just feel sorry for the OP because if this really makes him upset he must have a very unhappy life because there are a whole lot of tax policies that are less "fair" than this. BTW, I'm on your side about the bailouts. IMO what's going on right now is an enormous transfer of wealth from the young to the old. I just don't get what this thread has to do with the Triangle.
sls76, sorry if I sounded like I was preaching to you. My comments were not so much directed at you (as I saw we were on the same page on this one). And I agree 100% with your comments above!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary