Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:22 AM

321 posts, read 878,314 times

Advertisements

Are there any other childless people out there who really resent having 75% of their property taxes going to the county schools? I like children, but don't have any and I don't think people without children in school here should have to pay so much in taxes for it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:25 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,215,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
Are there any other childless people out there who really resent having 75% of their property taxes going to the county schools? I like children, but don't have any and I don't think people without children in school here should have to pay so much in taxes for it!!

I don't mind. As a memebr of the community I think we all have a responsibility to provide a quality public eductation to the children. Part of that responsibility means providing funds to keep the lights on and pay wages. It should be spent wisely, but I don't resent paying it.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 AM

"I don't mind. As a memebr of the community I think we all have a responsibility to provide a quality public eductation to the children. Part of that responsibility means providing funds to keep the lights on and pay wages. It should be spent wisely, but I don't resent paying it."

I don't mind paying SOME tax towards the schools, but I believe the people who actually have children in school here should pay the majority of it. Its simply not fair.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 9 days ago)

43,093 posts, read 76,670,112 times
No kids, and I don't really mind school taxes, since I had a great time playing basketball in high school.
I hear that some kids even learn to read and tie their shoes on my dime. I'm good with that.
Most cops learn the basics of writing tickets in public schools...
I'm good with that.

But, you can sure have some serious fun telling folks, with a straight face, that schools should be funded through user fees.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:38 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,674,167 times
Quote:
"I don't mind. As a memebr of the community I think we all have a responsibility to provide a quality public eductation to the children. Part of that responsibility means providing funds to keep the lights on and pay wages. It should be spent wisely, but I don't resent paying it."

I don't mind paying SOME tax towards the schools, but I believe the people who actually have children in school here should pay the majority of it. Its simply not fair.
Since when are taxes supposed to be fair?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:39 AM

I had a great time in school as well. And my parents paid hefty taxes for it. But its not right that someone with NO KIDS using the school system pays the same amount as, say, my neighbor, who currently has FIVE kids in the school system.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:43 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,727,495 times
Quote:
No kidding. Also, I'm not homeless, so I really resent that any of our taxes go to help the homeless. What's up with that?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I had a great time in school as well. And my parents paid hefty taxes for it. But its not right that someone with NO KIDS using the school system pays the same amount as, say, my neighbor, who currently has FIVE kids in the school system.
Ideally, I see a very broad public benefit in good education, and good training.
I would rather cough up a few bucks then see the neighbors determine that a couple of kids would do without schooling.

But, you can sure have some serious fun telling folks, with a straight face, that schools should be funded through user fees.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:46 AM

I got no family in prison, that I know of.... etc, etc...

Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM

260 posts, read 636,352 times
coastal.., It is in your benefit that your neighbor's kids are going to school and getting education. You do not want them on streets and forming gangs around your home lowering your quality of life as well as values of your home. Additionally same 5 kids will pay soc. sec. tax to fund your retirement later on if they have good education and good jobs. I'd say we need more kids to get more higher education and more high paying jobs! You should be thankful to your neighbor for raising 5 prospective citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary