U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:20 PM

19,560 posts, read 30,982,095 times

Advertisements

If you are going to let it drip, go out before going to bed, first thing when you get up in the morning, and if you wake up at 2:30 am, and open it wide to let a half gallon or so run through.

It's only one night...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 08:03 AM

753 posts, read 1,553,224 times
My hotwater pipes seem to have froze last night. Not getting any hot water. Water heater has hot water so the pipes must have froze on the outside walls. My water heater is in the attic.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:19 AM

23 posts, read 69,214 times
Unhappy No water in Kitchen tap

Everything else seems to be fine. House is built on a slab. Anyone know what would be a safe way to thaw it???

Old 01-17-2009, 08:28 AM

714 posts, read 1,813,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisBoy View Post
Everything else seems to be fine. House is built on a slab. Anyone know what would be a safe way to thaw it???
A hair dryer is a safe tool to use, plumbers use an industrial version called a heat gun but it is the same thing. DO NOT use a propane torch. Every year some poor fool burns their house to the ground (usually new construction too) using a torch to thaw water pipes.

Another safe tool is a 100 watt incadescent lamp in a holder. Place this close to the pipes. Completely silent and you don't have to hold it.

Option #3 is use of a short length (i.e. 6 ft) of heat tape, although I don't think you will find this in Raleigh. Wrap the tape around the pipes and plug it in. These are equipped with their own thermostat which may be set too low for indoors use but are ideal for outside use. Often factory set to 35 or 40 degrees.

As far as the "cozies" for outside water bibs. I use them here in MI in negative 20 degree weather and they work great!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:41 AM

753 posts, read 1,553,224 times
My hot water just came back. I cranked heat up. Iwill make sure to leave hot water dripping tonight.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Default No water in Kitchen tap

Thanks MI-Roger. But my problem is that pipes are inaccessible! Or did you mean to thaw under the sink?

Old 01-17-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisBoy View Post
Thanks MI-Roger. But my problem is that pipes are inaccessible! Or did you mean to thaw under the sink?
MorrisBoy,

Open the cabinet doors to let warm air in.
You might warm the pipes to see if the warmth will conduct to the frozen spot.

Probably just one spot frozen, vs. a long section.

Open both hot and cold, wide open, so if it begins to thaw, water pressure will push the ice along.

Pipes in slab are a little problematical, but the freeze wasn't so deep that there should be a huge problem. I hope....

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-17-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 AM

Smile Thanks!

Thanks Mike. That did the trick. Opened the cabinet door and kept a small heater in front of it! Water was flowing within 5 mins...

Old 01-17-2009, 10:15 AM

277 posts, read 499,127 times
Unhappy Ok, I have frozen pipes only in the kitchen.....

I left cabinet doors open last night (at that time I still had cold water working) and it didn't seem to help since now no water is coming out either side.
I'll take your advice Mike and see if I can warm the pipes underneath the sink.

I'm so glad this forum is here!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC gal (aka Oregon gal) View Post
I left cabinet doors open last night (at that time I still had cold water working) and it didn't seem to help since now no water is coming out either side.
I'll take your advice Mike and see if I can warm the pipes underneath the sink.

I'm so glad this forum is here!
Not tooo much heat...

Are you on a slab or a crawl space?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary