U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-16-2009, 02:22 PM

5,782 posts, read 8,461,427 times
Default Outside spigot froze up! What to do?

OK I didn't think it could happen to me, but it did! I have two spigots, one on each side of my house. One was fine today, however when I turned the second one it didn't even turn! It was frozen. I used a hairdryer and after a minute of that it was able to be turned and water flowed out.

My question: What can I do about it? Should I leave it dripping? I've read mixed reports about leaving outside facets running. I hate to do it but I was also thinking about leaving my hairdryer propped up on a ladder and turned on facing the spigot to keep it warm.

I turned off my main water supply, and opened up the facets to drain all the water I could, then closed them and turned the water back on but there is no internal shutoff so I am worried that it will freeze again tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-16-2009, 02:41 PM

7,370 posts, read 8,899,344 times
They make these styrofoam "covers" you can put over them, which will probably help a little bit--though when it is down in the teens, that might not be enough.

Thanks for the heads-up...maybe we should all run the spigots before we go to bed to at least give them less time to freeze up.

Unread 01-16-2009, 02:43 PM

8,116 posts, read 13,982,608 times
Turn off the feed to the spigot inside the house if possible. Then leave the spigot open.

Unread 01-16-2009, 02:43 PM

3,155 posts, read 6,299,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
OK I didn't think it could happen to me, but it did! I have two spigots, one on each side of my house. One was fine today, however when I turned the second one it didn't even turn! It was frozen. I used a hairdryer and after a minute of that it was able to be turned and water flowed out.

My question: What can I do about it? Should I leave it dripping? I've read mixed reports about leaving outside facets running. I hate to do it but I was also thinking about leaving my hairdryer propped up on a ladder and turned on facing the spigot to keep it warm.

I turned off my main water supply, and opened up the facets to drain all the water I could, then closed them and turned the water back on but there is no internal shutoff so I am worried that it will freeze again tonight.
I have not done this here. But in Portland we use to buy spigot insulators from the hardware store. It's a styrofoam 1/2 oval thing (usually grey). Inside it has a plastic strip that attaches to the spigot. It's like a cozy for an outdoor faucet. That might help.

Unread 01-16-2009, 02:53 PM

447 posts, read 948,036 times
Yeah use one of the covers, without airflow over it, it should not freeze.

I assume you have crawlspace, if possible wrap the pipes under the house or put put a lamp there overnight and it should keep things warmer and not let it freeze.

Check for holes and airflow under the house and seal those up (make sure vents for the crawlspace are closed).

Unread 01-16-2009, 03:05 PM

I was thinking about a cover, but not sure what effect that will have. How does it keep it warmer than freezing? If it's outside no matter how you cover it if it's got no heat won't it freeze?

No crawl space, it's a slab. Also no way to turn off the spigot inside the house, just outside. Unless I turn my main water supply completely off.

Unread 01-16-2009, 03:51 PM

733 posts, read 1,244,684 times
as long as there's no hose of any kind connected to it, you should be fine. The problem is when the water inside a line freezes - expands - and then bursts your pipes.

Unread 01-16-2009, 04:19 PM

774 posts, read 1,784,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I was thinking about a cover, but not sure what effect that will have. How does it keep it warmer than freezing? If it's outside no matter how you cover it if it's got no heat won't it freeze?

No crawl space, it's a slab. Also no way to turn off the spigot inside the house, just outside. Unless I turn my main water supply completely off.
Our house is built on a slab, as are the two houses on either side of us. My husband left both of those houses outside faucets dripping last night--and they were fine this morning. He wrapped and covered ours....when he tried to turn ours on this morning, the pipe burst....he had a cold morning replacing that. It will be left dripping tonight.

Unread 01-16-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
Our house is built on a slab, as are the two houses on either side of us. My husband left both of those houses outside faucets dripping last night--and they were fine this morning. He wrapped and covered ours....when he tried to turn ours on this morning, the pipe burst....he had a cold morning replacing that. It will be left dripping tonight.
Good to know thank you! How would I know that the pipe was burst? I would assume I would know by now? Would I see water dripping from where it's located inside the house? I didn't hear water rushing when I turned the main water feed back on, and it's been on for hours.

Unread 01-16-2009, 05:09 PM

163 posts, read 606,150 times
You'll know if water is running, just look for moisture around it, either inside or outside the house.

What happens is water freezes inside the spigot, next to the 'sillcock' and cracks the housing. May be a small drip or may not notice anything wrong. Then when you turn it on, or the ice melts, you've got a big issue all-of-a-sudden.

If you're replacing it anyway, then spend $2 more dollars on an anti-siphon spigot. The sillcock/valve is 12" within the house and the outer side drains each time the water is shut off. So there's no water near the outside to freeze. Works quite well -I leave hoses attached and never had an issue. I thought it was a building code to have this type spigot.

If you are concerned this night then let it drip, imo - 1 drop/second should be plenty as the moving water will keep it warm enough. Those foam 'ear-muff' covers trap some heat from the house.

Last edited by CajunWon; 01-16-2009 at 05:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary