Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:32 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,149,890 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the big fuss over snow. Why do you need 2-3 days of grocery on hand? Snow melts life goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,283 times
nm. See it was merged.

Last edited by aldamon; 01-19-2009 at 11:51 AM..

Old 01-19-2009, 11:57 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
I don't understand the big fuss over snow. Why do you need 2-3 days of grocery on hand? Snow melts life goes on.
Only because of the great difference in snow handling capability between the snow belt cities and the non-snow belt cities.

Here in MI a 5-inch snowfall is almost a non-event, depending upon what time of day it strikes. We have lots of snow plowing trucks equipped with salt spreaders becuase we need this type of equipment for 4 months or more of the year.

From what I have seen, big snows in the Raleigh area are rare. Snow removal equipment is not common, mountains of rock salt purchased for spreading on the roadways are not common. The most cost effective solution is for everyone to to wait until the snow melts in two or three days, hence the need for groceries to be on-hand so you don't need to travel on treacherous roads.

No need to hoard supplies, but just a reminder to have enough on hand to wait out the rapidly approaching warmer weather.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:09 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
I have off for MLK day today so I was planning to hit the grocery store today anyway to get my weekly supply of beer and vittles. I just got back from K-Roger and contrary to the urban legend, it was pretty dead. I think a few people out there will make an unscheduled trip to the grocery store on their way home from work tonight so they can have their favorite food tomorrow while they relax at home and play hooky from work, but it's not like people are falling over themselves and raining blows down on their fellow man as they fight over the last loaf of bread at the local store.

Man I'm glad I've been too lazy to take down my Christmas lights. I might need to blaze them up tomorrow and get a picture of my house with the lights on and a snow covered lawn for my Christmas cards next year. You don't get too many opportunities for shots like that around here!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:11 PM

451 posts, read 1,653,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Man I'm glad I've been too lazy to take down my Christmas lights.
So you're "that guy". Now we know, now we know.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:02 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I have off for MLK day today so I was planning to hit the grocery store today anyway to get my weekly supply of beer and vittles. I just got back from K-Roger and contrary to the urban legend, it was pretty dead. I think a few people out there will make an unscheduled trip to the grocery store on their way home from work tonight so they can have their favorite food tomorrow while they relax at home and play hooky from work, but it's not like people are falling over themselves and raining blows down on their fellow man as they fight over the last loaf of bread at the local store.
They were all at Trader Joe's. I haven't seen it so crazy there since the place opened. I overheard several people talking about snow, yet they all seemed to be buying wine. Either I'm missing some major inauguration parties, or wine is the new staple for an NC snowstorm.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM

835 posts, read 2,877,464 times
After the snowiest Dec. on record in I don't know how many years last year in NH, I don't care to see any snow, thank you. I moved down here to get away from it! Looks like it's following me though!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
I just think it's funny that 4-6 inches is considered a winter storm...
4-6 is considered a winter storm in EVERY state including Alaska.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:19 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
FWIW:

The government is reporting...

Light snow/rain to begin starting around 10PM. Around 12AM it will become all snow. Between 5AM to 10AM will be light snow and low visibility. After 10AM the visibility will go back up and the snow will taper off around 12PM (noon).

Old 01-19-2009, 02:22 PM

117 posts, read 263,732 times
the only time school activities 'close' in Fairbanks, Ak is when the noon temperature is -40 degrees or colder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary