Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:59 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Remember, the Triangle is still adding net jobs in the end. Sure, some places are laying off, but more jobs are being added than reduced.
Prove it.

If I recall correctly, the article I think you are citing stated that more companies are hiring than are laying off, but Kodak laying off 200 would be offset by my company hiring a new guy yesterday in that study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:28 AM

228 posts, read 802,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
I am. Even with multiple college degrees, I'm not "qualified" for even an entry level job. Makes no sense to me.
As some may know, I'm also looking for a career change, I have several graduate degrees. It's a hard (very) reality to realize that you may be qualified to do something that a h.s. student could do, but not more. On paper anyway. In reality, sure we could probably handle those 'challenging' jobs, but when there are 100 people who are more experienced, good luck getting those positions. My main point is that people like me learn extremely quickly, but employers don't care about that.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
I have several graduate degrees as well (MBA/JD), and it took me exactly 1 day of searching before I got a job... keep hanging in there!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:08 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
A single guy with no children in day care, no one else to clothe and feed, and no mortgage can make it on a call center salary. Fascinating news.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:33 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
A single guy with no children in day care, no one else to clothe and feed, and no mortgage can make it on a call center salary. Fascinating news.
And don't forget that he can also get a retail job at the business where both his mom and dad work.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
And don't forget that he can also get a retail job at the business where both his mom and dad work.

My wife and I work at the same company together, in completely different departments. Our son does not work for the same company as we do. You misread that. I also work at the same company as Jenny_B. I work directly with Jenny_B.

And once again, some posters are missing the moral of the thread, even though I clarified it. Sorry, I cannot have any sympathy for anyone who feels they are so superior that they could not lower themselves to do a low class job on a temporary basis, in order to provide for their family. For people that are above that, good luck but I don't feel bad for you. For those with work ethics like those in my family, keep strong and do what you need to do. Money is out there that could be earned, which will help cover your expenses until your new dream job comes along.

Last edited by Charlton Dude; 01-20-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
My wife and I work at the same company together, in completely different departments. Our son does not work for the same company as we do. You misread that. I also work at the same company as Jenny_B. I work directly with Jenny_B.
I appologize. You said that you both work for the same company, and I thought you meant that you both work for the same company as he does.

"For his second job, he needed something with flexible hours. He immediately thought of retail. I mentioned to him all the negative hype people were spewing out about retail being dead. He applied anyway and I was shocked at the response. I am happy for him, but also happy for my wife and I. We both work for the same company."

Old 01-26-2009, 11:26 AM

69 posts, read 185,085 times
It seems everyone is bashing the original poster for trying to have a positive outlook on it. He may or may not be right, statistically, but his attitude is the type of attitude everyone needs to have in this country.

If we don't then how is it going to get better. You don't sit around and wait, you stay proactive, even if you get denied all day every day, you keep trying. Its really the only option.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsNoles21 View Post
It seems everyone is bashing the original poster for trying to have a positive outlook on it.
Stick around a while kid. You'll understand why

Old 01-26-2009, 12:29 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsNoles21 View Post
It seems everyone is bashing the original poster for trying to have a positive outlook on it. He may or may not be right, statistically, but his attitude is the type of attitude everyone needs to have in this country.

If we don't then how is it going to get better. You don't sit around and wait, you stay proactive, even if you get denied all day every day, you keep trying. Its really the only option.
Nobody isn't saying to keep trying, but as NewUser said, the OP has a...shall we say...history on this board.

Here's something distressing to see today, how NC ranks rather poorly against the rest of the nation in terms of unemployment.

Where does your state rank? - CNNMoney.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary