Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:29 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,605 times

Advertisements

Our son is very concerned about the post 012009 economy, given the stated plans. So rather than sitting in a large pitty pot, he decided to be mature and do some planning ahead. He had already got himself a better main job this year and is now going to get himself a second job to build up his cash reserves. He was able to get his main job very easily just about 3 months ago and now he sent out resumes for his second job less than 2 weeks ago. Guess what? He has already had 3 interviews. I was shocked at how much interest there was. He is going to have to decided between offers. He already had a second interview at one place and has a second scheduled at another. I have been reading some people posting how there is nothing out there, even when they say they will take anything. With the quick response my son got, it is clear that there are still opportunities to make money. I feel at this point that if someone says they can't find any work, it really means that they can't find work that they "want". I remember the good old days when we would do whatever we had to do to get by. We would work jobs that didn't pay well and would work multiple jobs to get by. I remember doing whatever it took in tough times. I think people today have really gotten soft and expect so much to be dropped right in their lap. I am proud that my son is doing something to protect himself and I am happy to find that these places are still hiring. It's not at all the way some have portrayed it to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 04:57 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,962 times
Sounds like you raised a smart boy! Good job.

Do you mind sharing what his primary job is? Nothing specific, just general. And what is his second job, generally speaking?

I only ask because your post sounds very condescending to others that are looking for work.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:56 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
Do you mind sharing what his primary job is? Nothing specific, just general. And what is his second job, generally speaking?
Agreed.

I have been looking for a job over 3 months. I have had some interviews, but no offers yet. I am applying for jobs that I am generally qualified for, meaning that I have experience in the majority, but not all, of the requirements listed. There are lots of jobs that I would "like" to apply for, but I know that I meet none or little of the requirements, so I don't apply. Companies want someone who can come in and hit the ground running. . . . not someone who needs 3 months of training first. And they don't seem to want to hire someone that has 20+ years of experience who they "perceive" would not accept an entry level or mid level position.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:02 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Oh goody, another "it happened this way for me/my family, therefore it's that way for everyone!" post

It's very much the way it's portrayed to be - FYI to any "I think I'll move to NC because of all the jobs there" people that might be lurking.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:39 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,638 times
Awesome news. Glad to hear things rock so hard for your son I personally think the post-Tuesday economic environment will improve thanks to the "stated plans," so special preparations aren't necessary.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:22 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
What jobs did your son get?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:28 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Charlton Dude, you mentioned that your son got 3 interviews. Has he heard back from any of those companies yet? Has he landed one of those jobs? Interviews are nice, but they don't pay the bills.

There is anecdotal evidence to support every opinion & prediction under the sun. For instance, my husband's employer is doing quite well right now & is even hiring. But there's another company 1/4 mile away from his office that will be laying off hundreds of people this year. There's a wide variety of realities to be found.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:41 AM

46 posts, read 177,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Charlton Dude, you mentioned that your son got 3 interviews. Has he heard back from any of those companies yet? Has he landed one of those jobs? Interviews are nice, but they don't pay the bills.

There is anecdotal evidence to support every opinion & prediction under the sun. For instance, my husband's employer is doing quite well right now & is even hiring. But there's another company 1/4 mile away from his office that will be laying off hundreds of people this year. There's a wide variety of realities to be found.
There sure are.

We are NC natives who did a career move (mine) in the early 90's. Within 5 years of moving out here to the west coast, I became disabled and my condition has worsened. The prognosis for me isn't good.

My husband has always worked too.. but found himself being the only support for our family of six. He is almost 50 now, a lead man at his concrete construction company job, laid off over the winter and today is just going back to work. Thank God he got called back so soon.

Jobs are very scarce out here. My son... has been laid off from two different companies... all cutting back, some closing down.

We've been planning to move back to NC for over a year.. My Mother is 81 and needs us. Jobs? Yes...we are one of those families trying to come back home to NC who is keenly interested in what kind of jobs are available in the Triangle area for people with excellent references and strong work ethic, particularly in landscaping, concrete construction products (vaults, pipe, ect. for construction projects) or MIG and TIG welding.

Go Obama!!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
For instance, my husband's employer is doing quite well right now & is even hiring. But there's another company 1/4 mile away from his office that will be laying off hundreds of people this year.
I've seen all of the postings that your husband's company has out there (at least I think it's your husband's company. . . . if I remember correctly he's in the gaming industry). They seem to have been open for a long time, so either they are hiring many people, or they can't find anyone with the right mix of experience and education. I'd apply myself, but I don't have the skills needed and that industry is for the generation that came after mine

Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
I only ask because your post sounds very condescending...
Consider the source...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary