Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:01 AM

125 posts, read 453,356 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know many of these issues have been addressed in different threads, which I am reading. But for my particular situation:

My wife and I want to get out of New Mexico. We don't like it here due to the following:

- lack of social atmosphere
- small towns and cities with little in the way of activities or nightlife
- high crime, lots of street gangs and ex-cons even in small towns (nothing new for NM)
- nobody on the streets, wide open spread out town planning
- dry and dusty environment

What I would want in a place to live would be, basically the opposite of the above list, except not too much humidity. We are absolutely fed up with small towns.

I also need to add that my wife is from large city in South America. I know there's probably no place in the U.S. outside of NYC and Miami that has a similar ambience, but for her and even for myself it would be nice to find someplace with a decent street life.

Also, I'm real into the outdoors (fly fishing, backpacking, mountain hiking). I know there's no real "mountains" near Raleigh, but is there any kind of decent outdoors experience?

I work in the IT field. Shall I apply for jobs in the Raleigh area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 09:07 AM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times
have you heard the expression "double hunderds [sic]" ? if what you seek doesn't involve humidity, don't bother with the triangle. There are real mountains near Raleigh, relatively anyhow - just head west to Asheville.

Lots to do if you like boating, fishing, hiking. R-D-C is more or less a collection of small towns - like one big, giant college town, if you ask me. Doesn't sound like it's what you are seeking. Have you considered New Hampshire, or California?

Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 AM

63 posts, read 153,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post
Yes, I know many of these issues have been addressed in different threads, which I am reading. But for my particular situation:

My wife and I want to get out of New Mexico. We don't like it here due to the following:

- high crime, lots of street gangs and ex-cons even in small towns (nothing new for NM)

What I would want in a place to live would be, basically the opposite of the above list, except not too much humidity. We are absolutely fed up with small towns.

I also need to add that my wife is from large city in South America. I know there's probably no place in the U.S. outside of NYC and Miami that has a similar ambience, but for her and even for myself it would be nice to find someplace with a decent street life.

Also, I'm real into the outdoors (fly fishing, backpacking, mountain hiking). I know there's no real "mountains" near Raleigh, but is there any kind of decent outdoors experience?

Replace "dry & dusty environment" with hot & humid summers and you just described the Triangle area.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:59 AM

125 posts, read 453,356 times
Is the humidity retricted to just a couple months of the year?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:27 AM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times
depends on your definition of "a couple" let's see - May, June, July, August, September, and October.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:04 PM

447 posts, read 1,717,833 times
Quote:

Triangle
- Bars, Arts, Sports and other typical social scenes, nothing outside the norm here
- Tons of 'burbs with very little nightlife (beyond bars)
- Average amount of crime here
- Triangle is sprawl
- hot and humid late spring to early fall, then it is usually a roll of the dice as to above or below norm temperatures

Quote:

Mountains are a few hours west, ocean is a few hours East. Tons of parks, trails, sports leagues, rivers and lakes.

I think from your list and desires you might want to look in another area. Seems like Colorado might be a good bet.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:17 PM

10 posts, read 23,643 times
Default Move to Cary

I lived in Cary for 25 years, the happist of my life. My husband had to drag me out screaming, ha ha, or I would still be there. The traffic is bad now, but where isn't it that's decent to live and has IT jobs? Rent first. Naure, friends, coffee shops, shopping, movies, churches, people from all over the world. Go for it! Good luck Lin

Old 01-21-2009, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 7,605 times
Hi There,

I'm not really an "outdoorsy" person, so please forgive me if I really don't know what "real" mountains are. I just didn't know whether or not you were aware of the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountain range(s) in NC. They are about 3 1/2-4 hours from Raleigh and boast some of the highest peaks in the Eastern US. My husband's cousin lives at the foothills and goes bear hunting every opportunity he gets. Here's a link if you want to take a closer look:

North Carolina Travel & Tourism | The Blue Ridge in NC

Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
have you heard the expression "double hunderds [sic]" ? if what you seek doesn't involve humidity, don't bother with the triangle. There are real mountains near Raleigh, relatively anyhow - just head west to Asheville.

Lots to do if you like boating, fishing, hiking. R-D-C is more or less a collection of small towns - like one big, giant college town, if you ask me. Doesn't sound like it's what you are seeking. Have you considered New Hampshire, or California?
The guy doesn't want small towns are you suggest New Hampshire? Sorry, but that just doesn't compute. At best, Southern New Hampshire is in the far Northern burbs of Boston. Other than that, it's all small towns and cities nowhere near the size of Raleigh.

Also, as a part time Miami and Raleigh resident, I can tell you that Raleigh's humidity is a joke compared to Miami. It's also a joke compared to Houston, New Orleans and other cities along the Gulf Coast. So, while it may feel humid to you, it might not feel the same way to others who are used to much damper climates.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:05 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,406 times
Of all the places I've lived, I think the one place I'd love to go back to - and it sounds like it may fit you, so give it a chance and look into it - is Reno, NV.

There's always something going on, especially in the summer. Ton's of outdoor activities, which we enjoy - backpacking in the Sierras, hiking, mountain biking, flyfishing, and our favorite, snowshoeing. It's only about 30 minutes up to Lake Tahoe. Keystone Canyon in Reno is great for mountain biking, and is in town. I wish I could go back.

There are more and more tech companies moving to the area because the state has very favorable tax structures, and because San Fran (4 hours away) is pretty pricey, and there's a good supply of talent close by (San Fran).

Other than Reno, I'd suggest Boulder/Ft. Collins area. Boulder is pretty expensive though. Seattle (where I'm from), also has plenty of outdoor activities at your feet. The cascades are less than an hour away. Lots of companies in the area. Weather is great, except for gloomy winters, but everyplace, everywhere, has a give-and-take.

I like this area, but for outdoors, it's just not the same as the west, and you just have to adapt. I haven't done any flyfishing out here yet, but I'm sure there are plenty of options around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary