Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:06 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,605 times

Advertisements

"Auto parts manufacturer AW N.C. furloughs quarter of Durham work force."

Auto parts manufacturer AW N.C. furloughs quarter of Durham work force :: WRAL.com

This is one of the companies I tried hard to get into when we first moved here. Glad I didn't get in there after all. I have been telling all the doom & gloomers that 2008 was not the Triangle depression year that some were hoping for and as it turns out, I was right. I have been predicting all along that the beginning of 2009 would bring a world of hurt. Well right on queue, it is arriving. This week has been one horrible week with companies reducing workforce. Even companies that exceeded revenue projections are cutting back. Gee, I can't quite put my finger on what may have happened this week that made my prediction come true right on time, but it is happening. Things are going to get rough, even in the Triangle. So now that my expert analysis has proven out, I will give you one more piece of brilliant insight. This little meltdown we are going to experience is just a little warm up. When things do improve somewhat, you best save up as much as you can and get the heck out of debt. The big one is coming and it is going to be painful beyond belief.

Last edited by Charlton Dude; 01-22-2009 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 04:18 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
I feel for these folks, all 280 of them. The bottom line is in 2008 Car sales pulmented, in part because of rising oil prices. If cars aren't selling, you don't need car parts.... thus the layoffs here in Durham. All this mess started in 2008. But it's up to ALL of us to make it right in 2009.

Last edited by PDXmom; 01-22-2009 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
But it's up to ALL of us to make it right in 2009.

There isn't much You or I can do. We are not the ones that will be running the cash printing presses on overtime burying the country is record debt that can never and will never be paid off. I did my part all along, by not getting in over my head and by playing by the rules. I have no part to play in turning things around. There is nothing I can do. My only job at this point is to prepare for the day of reckoning, when this MASSIVE debt program being written up has to be paid back and everything come crashing down, including here in the Triangle. Sure, flooding the market with unbacked trillions will spur some growth, but what do you think is going to happen when the bill comes do? How do you think you or our children will be able to pay for it? Guess what? We/they can't. The Triangle recession that we will finally have this year should serve as a training lesson. When things temporarily and falsely pick up, take that opportunity to prepare. If you don't, it's over. Even here in the Triangle.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:58 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
There isn't much You or I can do. We are not the ones that will be running the cash printing presses on overtime burying the country is record debt that can never and will never be paid off. I did my part all along, by not getting in over my head and by playing by the rules. I have no part to play in turning things around. There is nothing I can do. My only job at this point is to prepare for the day of reckoning, when this MASSIVE debt program being written up has to be paid back and everything come crashing down, including here in the Triangle. Sure, flooding the market with unbacked trillions will spur some growth, but what do you think is going to happen when the bill comes do? How do you think you or our children will be able to pay for it? Guess what? We/they can't. The Triangle recession that we will finally have this year should serve as a training lesson. When things temporarily and falsely pick up, take that opportunity to prepare. If you don't, it's over. Even here in the Triangle.

guess i better start building an Ark

Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,638 times
Color me stunned. A short time ago someone on this board was heralding all the great new job opportunities coming to the Triangle. Now, depression. It's almost like some unexpected event happened earlier this week which caused the local economy to decline. It couldn't be something that'd been expected for the past 2 1/2 months which would have caused problems just this week. Because that would be silly.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Color me stunned. A short time ago someone on this board was heralding all the great new job opportunities coming to the Triangle. Now, depression. It's almost like some unexpected event happened earlier this week which caused the local economy to decline. It couldn't be something that'd been expected for the past 2 1/2 months which would have caused problems just this week. Because that would be silly.
And of course just 8 short years ago we were on track to pay off the national debt by 2012. And now it's not gonna happen in our lifetimes. Yeah, I too can't imagine why all of "sudden" things turned so awful.

Then again maybe a medical prescription has run out.... maybe that's the new view on things.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:15 PM

Everybody likes to joke about it, but it will come at your own expense. It's simple mathematics, not rocket science. As I have a flawless record, I highly advise people to take my warning seriously. The bed has been made and there is nothing you can do to stop it. All you can do is prepare for the storm headed this way. The 2009 Triangle recession will be just a training session. Use it wisely to understand what needs to be done. Those that are prepared will withstand the real storm better than those that prefer to stay in some hope filled la-la land and ignore basic facts.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:53 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
Sorry to hear this news as it affects all of us that call the triangle our home. Every layoff means less money in our local economy which means fewer jobs for all of us. No one is immune to job loss, living prudently and within ones means helps but it is not a cure for when the job reaper comes along and taps you on the shoulder.

They is no magic pill for this or government bailout that will stop the market contraction. Good old fashion economics at both the micro and macro level will always dictate when things will turn around. Bailouts only makes our children and grand children chances for a generation that lives better than ours less likely!

...and that is the saddest news of all!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Bailouts only makes our children and grand children chances for a generation that lives better than ours less likely!

...and that is the saddest news of all!

EXACTLY. And for them, I feel so bad for what is about to take place. The results will be so severe, it will crumble the foundation of even the Triangle.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I have been telling all the doom & gloomers that 2008 was not the Triangle depression year that some were hoping for and as it turns out, I was right.
Actually, what you have been saying is that the recession was not going to hit here, and you've been encouraging people from all over who don't have jobs to move down here because they will surely find one here. I hope those folks are reading now.

Quote:
Well right on queue, it is arriving.
The accurate term is "right on cue...", as in an actor's cue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary