Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:49 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,563,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
My thoughts exactly..... We don;t even have the downtown convention center built yet but we have magically gone from a Teir III to a Teir I city? Yeah right! I love Raleigh, but if Raleigh is the next LA then I am the next Brad Pitt!

I am curious what you find similar between Raleigh and the Jersey Shore. I am from the Jersey shore and I don't see any similarites unless you are figuring on global warming causing Raleigh to become ocean front property one day or perhaps Bruce Springstein decides to move here!
Jersey Shore was booming with growth and development and transplants from PA and NY and other areas of NJ not too long ago wasn't it? That's all I meant..it had nothing to do with geography. I compared it to Phoenix and S Florida too and Raleigh certainly isn't in the middle of the desert or tropical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 11:02 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,932,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Dude, I think that lady whom wrote the article was being funny. Raliegh has traffic, but it ain't nothing like Phoenix, LA or any city in Florida. You just don't have the massive number of highways that those cities have. Ok, then the writer of the article wants to compare getting onton I-40 and going to beach to getting on the Santa Monica Freeway and going to the beach. No comparison. The beach is like 1.5 hours from Raliegh/Durham. It's much less than that from most place in LA metro. Where did that comparison even come from? What's next, someone in Greensborough is going to say that it's like LA b/c they sit in traffic on I-40 trying to get to a beach that is two freakin hours away! Too funny! Raliegh, Durham nor Charlotte 'feels' like Phoenix, LA or FLA. First, you need lots and lots of very tall palm trees lining streets downtown, at the airport, every freakin shopping mall that you go to, along the streets and in your neighbor's yard.

No place in NC, I don't care if it's Raliegh or Charlotte is anything like LA, Phoenix or Florida to be certain. Just b/c Raleigh and CHarlotte are growing doesn't mean they're anything like those cities. I have lived in Phoenix and Florida and I know and have friends and family in LA and San Diego. Um, this place is far from being like Phoenix, LA or any city in Florida. I can fire off a long list.

I can go on and on about how different the guys dress here, how the women are more reserved and not as aggressive and how different they are in the looks department, how in the places mentioned above, it can be all about if you're wearing the latest 150 dollar Ray Bans or some 15 dollar generic sunglasses, if you're sporting the new Treo 750, Blackberry, TMob Sidekick, who you know that can get you VIP access to a hot club, a large segment of your population that is addicted to working out at the gym (I must tell you Raliegh, from the looks of it, um there aren't many of you, but I digress), being seen and I can go on and on but you get the picture.

The way people act, move and interact with each other here is much different than those places. People in NC have stronger family values. Here it's not so much about trying to live the rock star lifestyle. Here I see observe a good number of people that are in relationships and even the younger folks around here are coupled up. Not saying that you don't see younger folks in relationships in those other places or that people aren't in relationships.

Bottom line is that the article had to be a joke of some sort. And no, more people moving from So Cal will not make you any more like LA. I'm moved here from Phoenix and if I could make this place like Phoenix I would, but I can't. There is something intrinsic to the area and NC that attracts people and it's not b/c it's like LA or PHX or FLA. Probably b/c it's the opposite and for the majority that is a good thing.

I have lived in Phoenix a very long time and 20 years ago it was NOTHING like it is today. I agree with I'm Informed NC's larger cities are well on their way to becoming what Phoenix is now. Phoenix is California and Mexico spilled over. Raleigh and Charlotte is becoming NY,NJ,MA,FlA, and now the Californians are starting to get into the act. Give it 5-7 years you may even see the brown cloud. Geographically it will not be Phoenix but in all other aspects it will.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:47 AM

2,187 posts, read 7,991,202 times
Yes and I look exaaaaactly like Heidi Klum!

Old 03-12-2007, 07:52 AM

41 posts, read 316,422 times
I couldn't think of 2 more different places....I live in LA now, and lived in Raleigh for 5 years...Wow...now that's a funny story!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:34 AM

306 posts, read 1,191,137 times
Wink Not!!

The only way I can say LA is like Raleigh is that the area is made up of many cities, people come from many areas of the country, the diversity and kind of the same climate(remember they both got snow this year .) THAT IS IT!!

LA has just shy of 10,000,000 people living there and I don't see Raleigh/Durham/Chappel Hill/ Cary area ever getting that big.

There are thousands of gang members in LA.

You pretty much MUST be bi-lingual to get a job in LA.

And now the mayor is running the LA Unified School District .

And as far as the smog, the geographical depression known as LA has had such a long standing problem with the inability of getting rid of it, that even when settlers came in the late 1700's they called it "smokey valley" since even then the small amount smoke produced just sat there. So I don't see the Raleigh ever having that kind of problem.

Plus YOU don't have Arnold as Govenor, Thank Goodness!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:50 AM

271 posts, read 1,211,929 times
The only city that Raleigh has been compared to and I have somewhat agreed is Atlanta, GA. We are a Atlanta Metro circa 1980's. Certain areas of town are even named the same namely 5 points and Midtown. Both State Capitals.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,239,666 times
Two days have gone by and I am still laughing over this post. What will they think of next ? I was just in Wilmington at a conference where the Keynote speaker pointed out that Wilmington, NC is the 3rd largest film location in the US behind Los Angeles and New York City. So I guess it looks like Raleigh has some competition for the title of "The Next LA" ! LOL

While in Wilmington I did get to see the courthouse from the "Matlock" TV show, but it didn't quite feel the same as a trip through LA!

BTW, for those of you new to the Triangle, I highly recommend you take a drive out to Wilmington this spring/summer. A day spent at the River Walk in the Historic downtown area along the Cape Fear River or a day at Wrightsville beach there just can't be beat. Only takes about 2 hours to get there from Raleigh!

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 03-13-2007 at 05:17 PM..

Old 03-15-2007, 08:38 PM

30 posts, read 151,650 times
okay so maybe raleigh isnt as good as L.A. But L.A. will never be an NYC thats for sure.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:13 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,715,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk902 View Post
okay so maybe raleigh isnt as good as L.A. But L.A. will never be an NYC thats for sure.
Um, ok! Well, Tulsa will never be Little Rock. That's for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary