U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 05:22 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,303,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Personally, I could not understand why anyone would want a $500K house with only 30-40 feet between them. The crap houses in Bedford is understandable since they are all thrown together and very "planned" like the o.p. said but they are also not $500K. Most are probably worth 150K even though the owner paid $350K. I would look at some lots in Hasentree. I bet you could probably get one for a great price now.
Bedford came of age during the boom and the developers were able to sell this concept to out of towners and a few locals without any difficulty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 05:32 PM

2,034 posts, read 2,838,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Most are probably worth 150K even though the owner paid $350K.
Homes are worth what the market dictates. They are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Period!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
New-shmew. The fixation on "new", and what you get for your money, never ceases to amaze me.
Everyone has different tastes. I always want brand new. I see a tremendous amount of benefit in it. Like the modern floor plan, new everything under warranty, no left over odors from previous owner and usually planned better.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:01 PM

10,395 posts, read 17,859,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Bedford came of age during the boom and the developers were able to sell this concept to out of towners and a few locals without any difficulty.
How many people live in Bedford and Falls River? Do you think they live there because someone "sold the concept" to them or simply because they love the neighborhoods and the houses? So what if the lots are small. Once my daughter graduates from High School and heads off to college, I'll be selling my large home and looking for something new that has the upgrades I want but WITH A SMALLER LOT.

I bet the thousands that live in Bedford will disagree with you that they were "sold" anything except a beautiful neighborhood with a pool, sidewalks for walking, front porches for visiting their neighbors and one of the most friendly neighborhoods that you can imagine.

Vicki

Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 PM

121 posts, read 265,960 times
Just today, we drove through several neighborhoods that we considered before choosing to make Bedford our home. I said to my wife, "boy did we make the right decision". There is not doubt in my mind we found the right neighborhood for us. Couldn't be happier.

Great location, great neigborhood, price points for everyone, beautifully maintained, low HOA fees, community pool, tennis & basketball, 25 miles of paved sidewalks. Sounds like more than a concept to me.

And...no gusset plate. Guess we got a quality house.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:09 PM
bdf

29 posts, read 38,337 times
Default larger lots under $450

North Raleigh is a brand that is a bit over-rated. 27606 gets you +2 acres for under $450K. It isn't as planned as some North communities but it isn't as crowded either. Plus, fewer HOAs. Check out the areas near Lake Wheeler, Swift Creek Elementary, and just south of Tryon Rd. NCSU farms and woods keep the area nicely less developed and the homes are on good sized properties.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,447,529 times
^^ Just made sure you stay WEST of Lake Wheeler road if you are looking in that area!

Old 01-25-2009, 01:24 PM

9,077 posts, read 18,711,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdf View Post
North Raleigh is a brand that is a bit over-rated. 27606 gets you +2 acres for under $450K. It isn't as planned as some North communities but it isn't as crowded either. Plus, fewer HOAs. Check out the areas near Lake Wheeler, Swift Creek Elementary, and just south of Tryon Rd. NCSU farms and woods keep the area nicely less developed and the homes are on good sized properties.
I don't think North Raleigh is "over-rated" but that is just a matter of opinion so we can agree to disagree on that point. However a more tangible point is that while I agree that the area (27606) you describe is quite nice, it certainly does not even come close to meeting the OP's criteria of being wthin 15 minutes of the 6000 block of Six Forks Road. Short commutes are not over-rated IMHO.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 PM

9,077 posts, read 18,711,095 times
FWIW, small lot sizes are nothing new. Ever look in some of the cool downtown neighborhoods? Here is a quick side by side comparison.

Here is a picture of a home in Bedford that was built in 2005

And here is a picture of a home In Historic Oakwood that was built in 1908

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 01-27-2009 at 10:36 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,447,529 times
I think that's actually the point some people are making. Houses that are closer together and closer to the street on smaller lots are what is to be expected and in many cases, sought after, in older urban neighborhoods. But it isn't what is typically thought of as the norm in large suburban subdivisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary